ns2_caged

1171819202123»

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    This map is amazing, visually stunning and your endurance and passion on it very impressive.
    Great work!
    Thanks for the kind words! I'll use them as a blurb on the boxed edition. :wink: Glad to see you back on the forums too, hope you can pitch in on some more maps that are being worked on. :smiley:
    Cheeky metal slab to hide the Lower harverster xD
    Not too sure about the texture on them yet, but it'll do for now.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    CHANGELOG [24th of april 2016]
    o Began detailing the Shipping-side exit of Ventilation
    o Replaced dirty pipes in clean rooms with shiny blue-ish pipes
    o Placed a red light over the Sewer - Purification vent entrance in Sewer
    o Improved Occlusion Geometry in Purification
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2016
    That's a nice, shiny avatar you have there. :P

edit: Hm, something about a map? I forgot...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    ventilation is looking good, cant wait for it to be finished
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Noticed a small occlusion bug in lower wasteflow, but other than that, looking good!
    cD3PoBj.jpg
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think Ventilation's catwalks need to be expanded for comfort and utility. They are really, really narrow which typically makes engagements very difficult, especially with the holes you can fall into with the pipes in the corner there. I'm also not sold on the railings, as the exacerbate the narrowness.
    cXV2Q9A.jpg

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the room, and how much better it is for aliens. You do need to replace those ventilation crates with some sort of prop that would make more sense in a giant air vent. Perhaps large fan parts?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited May 2016
    Every time i see or play this map, im thinking it needs to be OFFICIAL NS2 MAP and each time im more and more convinced. such detailed map and great layout! my favorite custom map of all times!
    We had almost a 3 hour game on woozas server 21 vs 21 battelling it out taking bases & Arcing stuff, onoses raping commandstations, baseswapping..this mapsize is perfect for massive games!!! it was incredible both team came to readyroom happy talking about all the stuff that happend during the game after it was over even during the start of the next map when it loaded up.
    edited May 2016
    A shorter list than intended due to a family birthday and a power outage, but I will make up for this next week, dammit!

CHANGELOG [22nd of May 2016]
    o Improved and fixed some occlusion geometry in the ready room
    o Continued detailing in Ventilation
    o Tried to make the transition from Life Support to Ventilation a little smoother with trash decals, dirty props and gentler lighting

EDIT: Published a hotfix to seal off the inexplicably non-collidable wall in Ventilation.
    A shorter list than intended due to a family birthday and a power outage, but I will make up for this next week, dammit!

CHANGELOG [22nd of May 2016]
    o Improved and fixed some occlusion geometry in the ready room
    o Continued detailing in Ventilation
    o Tried to make the transition from Life Support to Ventilation a little smoother with trash decals, dirty props and gentler lighting

excuses excuses ;)
    edited May 2016
    Plenty of progress in Ventilation this week!

CHANGELOG [29th of May 2016]
    o Further detailing in Ventilation and the air shaft towards Purification
    o Re-added the vent between Ventilation and the corridor leading to Life Support
    o Fixed a whole bunch of little bugs (thanks IeptBarakat!)

EDIT: Derp, just quickly published a hotfix to unblock one of the Ventilation vents.
    :open_mouth:

CHANGELOG [30th of May 2016]
    o Fixed the ancient bug where bullet casings would float in mid-air
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lol it was indeed pretty annoying sometimes but I always thought it was more a NS2 bug than a mapping issue.
    edited May 2016
    Lol it was indeed pretty annoying sometimes but I always thought it was more a NS2 bug than a mapping issue.

It's because of where the world origin (0,0,0) was located: 20 units above the floor in Main Hold. I moved the whole map up 128 units, so now the origin is outside the map, and that fixed it. It's an NS2 bug more than a mapping bug, but can be fixed with mapping. :wink:
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It's because of where the world origin (0,0,0) was located: 20 units above the floor in Main Hold. I moved the whole map up 128 units, so now the origin is outside the map, and that fixed it. It's an NS2 bug more than a mapping bug, but can be fixed with mapping. :wink:

Hi, flat is this still the case? As I played caged recently and would still get hovering casings, I'll test it again tonight just to clear things up.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Hi, flat is this still the case? As I played caged recently and would still get hovering casings, I'll test it again tonight just to clear things up.

Read a couple posts ago, it should be fixed since monday.
    CHANGELOG [3rd of June 2016]
    o Sorry... temporarily out of service
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Changelog

-Made the map official, no biggie
  • MisterOizoMisterOizo Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178214Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Literally unplayable!

Also try entering the parts below purification with an Onos, there's some weird collision stuff going on. (You can go through some pipes but not all of them)
    he did it, he did it. I knew this day would come. well done flat :D
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Congrats on going offical!
    Definitely deserved and well done.
    I'm not sure why the map was apparently rushed into the recent patch, because there seems to be quite a few issues, let alone the performance issues and lack of low lights.
    You better get this fixed before everyone gets their fancy new skin achievement or this map wont see much play, sadly.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Arc bug for you flat. Your works not done yet
    http://imgur.com/a/WcytE
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The memories! :smiley: I was still in the hospital then, I think. That's why that cysting bug was in Upper Waste for so long.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    The memories! :smiley: I was still in the hospital then, I think. That's why that cysting bug was in Upper Waste for so long.

You need to replace the workshop version of caged with that version for Sunday! :) So much nostalgia. (yes, your map is old enough to have nostalgia.)
    I think it's amazing how some parts of the map haven't changed at all. Looking at you, Satan's butthole.
    Well, the environment didn't change. The names did :D
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

You need to replace the workshop version of caged with that version for Sunday! :) So much nostalgia. (yes, your map is old enough to have nostalgia.)

its old enough to have grandchildren
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    Sooo... I plugged in a CRT today. One of the things I did was boot up Natural selection and just have a look around some old maps, Caged included. Bear with me a bit as this is a bit rambling, but I'll get to a point.

The game still looks stunning on a CRT regardless off the very low texture resolution and low geometric complexity. I had forgotten just how good it looked before the great LCD plague hit. Usually if you look at something like the original Far cry a few years later it looks so much more bland and unconvincing than you remembered it. In this case I wasn't wearing rose tinted glases, but something more jade coloured.

What was really striking was gamma correction, which was only supported on analog displays. This allowed light sources to appear very bright, similar to the way HDR with tonemapping looks (without reflections and other shaders, correct HDR has no big benefit). Toghether with the very soft, natural looking shadows and indirect lighting from radiosity it looks fabulous.

What I'm seeing here is is slightly too bland lighting. What you can try to fake this appearance in NS2: Make a narrow, bright spot, creating an oversaturated spot on the ground. Then put a wide angled spot beneath it, inside the floor, such that it's cone just intersects the original light at the floor and give it a fairly wide reach with a soft light. If the floor is coloured the reflected light needs a slightly different tint.

NS1 levels are much more colourful; not just coloured lighting. Caged in particular had browns (rusty metal plating, rusty metal gratings, pipes), blues (walls that look painted blue, as well as a very bluish metal texture) and pink (the wall_lab set that practically defined all the 1.0x levels) as well as some greens. What I'm seeing here is only different shades of grays with ocasional yellow-black warning-trims to spruce things up. You might be busy making sure the map is balanced and playable right now. But please, consider adding more colour in the future.

Simpler alterations of existing prop and level textures I believe I can help you with if you want. The map needs something that's not gray. It also makes sense as a mnemonic device; it helps new players learn the levels and see where they are. They go "ah, I'm near marine spawn, because the walls are pink-ish and matte-paint/ceramic looking near marine start", or "ah, I'm near the sewer, because everything is rusty and degraded".