Welcome to Caged - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageWelcome to Caged - Natural Selection 2

Play now the new Natural Selection 2 map Caged to unlock a new Skulk skin. Additionally various game elements have been improved and/or fixed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    dammit I lost my bet... it has been finished before ns2_hera
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Hooray! I love caged.. Now I just have to hope I can find enough games running it to get the skin..

With this community playing 2 hours of a new map within even a 6 month period can be hard.. I still don't think I've been able to play 2 hours on derelict yet. :(
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Hooray! I love caged.. Now I just have to hope I can find enough games running it to get the skin..

With this community playing 2 hours of a new map within even a 6 month period can be hard.. I still don't think I've been able to play 2 hours on derelict yet. :(

Too bad, there was a surprise-skin if you had it played 2hours the first weeks.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am really excited about the flamethrower change.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Great patch with nice changes all around! Can't wait to try the new spores. Also... "Removed Flamethrower making hit targets weigh more."? Wth? I didn't even know that's a thing.

And of course...

OHMYGODITSCAGEDITSFINALLYHERE!
    Frankly I should have seen it coming that it's either this week or next, but it still took me by surprise. (I guess you got the outside of DAT-1 done rather quickly, @Flaterectomy ? Or were you lazy and skipped it?)
    Can't wait to see how people react to it. I swear if it gets the "all new maps suck" treatment I will leave this game for good :)

SCC is going to be a lot less fun without caged.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    I do like how recent patches have been slowly introducing NS1 features back.

Have to try out the spores :)

Now, if you replace Bone Shield with Devour, I do believe I might fall in love with the game again.

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Cyst redeploy radius? Is it the area that you can't put another cyst in without breaking the previous one?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Aw man, just moved and don't have my computer set up yet. This is quite the kick in the pants.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    it still needs some work now. I hope to have a Low Lights option next week, and to patch the holes and fix the greybox textures that I missed (generally in the Ventilation area).

I noticed those. this is literally unplayable. i quit
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    great update i love caged its by far best custom map (or should i say official) that i played!

updates seem great overall but when will the PHASEGATE guarantee to teleport you to the next location instead of back to the same room you just used it in? also when will XENOCIDE guarantee dealing damage instead of suiciding with the skull icon (same as typing kill in console) and dealing 0 damage upon explosion even if surrounded by marines.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    System wrote: »
    players who play on caged for two hours or more within the first week of release will unlock a new skulk skin

Are the 2 hours required counted in Hive Time (only ranked servers)?
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    edited June 2016
    Really afraid of the new spores. Haven't tried it yet though. But if they are the same we saw in compmod, then they are too powerful for biomass 4.

Promotion of caged by free skin is a marvellous idea.

Still hope to see optional healthbars (serverside) and more weakened cysts.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Blrg wrote: »
    players who play on caged for two hours or more within the first week of release will unlock a new skulk skin

The time is counted independently from hive ;) And you also don't have to play 2 hours at once but total over the next 7 days.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Blrg wrote: »

The time is counted independently from hive ;) And you also don't have to play 2 hours at once but total over the next 7 days.

Someone asked a good question to expand this further... does it count time spent in the ready room? or does it have to be time accumulated during rounds?

I was lucky enough to join a server running nothing but Caged and got the skin... and it looks awesome. Also really liking the flamethrower change as it no longer feels like a useless weapon, I was able to actually kill skulks with it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Caged as a mod was already more popular than many official maps. I think it will be fine
    Nordic wrote: »
    Caged as a mod was already more popular than many official maps. I think it will be fine

I think it will be fine, but I don't think it was *that* popular. I've seen a server die after it got voted for just a week ago, and I haven't seen it being voted for that often. Of course, this is anecdotal.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good idea promoting a map with a special skin.
    I doubt that this map will be played often despit that tough. Tram, Veil, Summit and maybe biodome all the way.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Server wildly crashing all the time. Are the devs looking into the problems of b301?
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Do the FL changes now mean im supposed to burn through a clip far far faster now? Seems like a nerf rather than making it functional again.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    wooza wrote: »
    Server wildly crashing all the time. Are the devs looking into the problems of b301?

There was an issue related to the cyst changes earlier this morning that was causing server crashes- however that has already been hotfixed. Let us know if you are still experiencing crashing (And be sure to send us the logs if you can)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Nordic wrote: »

I think it will be fine, but I don't think it was *that* popular. I've seen a server die after it got voted for just a week ago, and I haven't seen it being voted for that often. Of course, this is anecdotal.
    Nordic is referring to the data we've tracked. There have been more games played on caged than some of the official maps, and the balance on caged better than some official as well.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    rantology wrote: »
    wooza wrote: »

There was an issue related to the cyst changes earlier this morning that was causing server crashes- however that has already been hotfixed. Let us know if you are still experiencing crashing (And be sure to send us the logs if you can)

Someone should have sent you the logs on Discord earlier today, if not, here is the log: http://pastebin.com/9ivM9Z3t
    Also this bug is new since b301: http://pastebin.com/dYQgHV56

And most crucial issue which has not been adressed yet:
    [11257.446] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2748(1623), expected >= 2748
    [11257.501] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2748(1623), expected >= 2748
    [11257.521] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2748(1623), expected >= 2748
    [11257.954] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2749(1623), expected >= 2749
    [11257.984] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2749(1623), expected >= 2749
    [11258.006] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2749(1623), expected >= 2749
    [11258.480] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2750(1623), expected >= 2750
    [11258.505] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2750(1623), expected >= 2750
    [11258.530] Main : Warning: ignoring out-of-order move 2750(1623), expected >= 2750
  • Cjman93Cjman93 Minnesota Join Date: 2013-12-20 Member: 190370Members
    Enthused by this update.