Seaglide Power

DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
Is this like for reals??? I understand that we have a charging station now but the battery in the seaglide deplets at a CRAZY rate...

Comments

• LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    Try to stock up more batteries while exploring please.
  • DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
    Well that's stupid....I know that is the solution but wow...Now i'll constantly have 4-5 slots occupied with batteries...and another 9 with the seaglide....it makes me not wanna use it anymore, lol....Thanks for the reply anyways :)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    How far are you going with the seaglide?

Couple of workarounds...
    The Seamoth can be equipped with a 4x4 storage that you can put extra batteries in so you don't have to carry them all the time.
    Charge fins slow the rate that the seaglide drains its batteries.
    Well I dunno, but not far...with the light on, it drains 1% in about 1 second.That, in my opinion, is CRAAAAZY fast...And sometimes I just want a quick trip and I don't wanna take the Seamoth :) I will give it a try with the charge fins. At some point they were useless, because they weren't charging anything anymore, but I think they disabled them because the charging stations were on the way...Thanks for the tips.
    It is definitely better with the charge fins on (kinda sad cause I got used to the Ultra Glide Fins sooo much) but still a bit fast draining...Guess I'll have to get used to it occupying at least 12-13 slots and the slooow speed of charging fins :D
    Always glad to be of service :smile:

Also, its a pain the sphincters (and probably less viable now that charging stations are out) but if you go vertical with the seaglide while wearing charge fins you can charge the batteries in it on the spot. Its something like 12% charge for a 350m dive though. Not sure if that's helpful at this point >.<
  • OculusOculus ger Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212360Members
    In the current experimental build on creative mode i saw an upgrade for the battery to a lithium battery that doubles its capacity. I hope this will come to all modes and will then be able to close this gap.
    Ralij wrote: »
    Always glad to be of service :smile:

Also, its a pain the sphincters (and probably less viable now that charging stations are out) but if you go vertical with the seaglide while wearing charge fins you can charge the batteries in it on the spot. Its something like 12% charge for a 350m dive though. Not sure if that's helpful at this point >.<

Well, it is when you find yourself deep without batteries left :)) Thanks for that!
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Seaglide is a pain to use now. Swim charge fins are pretty much required and you have to bring a stack of batteries with you too.
  • blackjack301blackjack301 Orange Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217554Members
    WarViper wrote: »
    Seaglide is a pain to use now. Swim charge fins are pretty much required and you have to bring a stack of batteries with you too.

Yeah it's easier to work hard to Get a sea moth, and then like two power cells, they are so much more energy efficient
  • igottapi4igottapi4 US Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217419Members
    I really dont get what is with the devs adding a cool new features only to turn around and make bad changes to things that were fine.
    WarViper wrote: »

Yeah it's easier to work hard to Get a sea moth, and then like two power cells, they are so much more energy efficient

It's not really hard work, and it is irrelevant :D I do have several Seamoths and Cyclops. I have about 200 hours on my main save. But sometimes you REALLY need the SeaGlide :)
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Found this,

It seems to use power at twice the rate it did before.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited June 2016
    Using the Seaglide with fins like forever. Yes, it seems it depletes a bit faster now, but with the recharger absolutely no problem. Having one or 2 batteries in my inv while the others recharge. I think some are just overreacting here, similar to the o2 thread where so many are complaining now.

Considering it was the opposite before the patch, everyone whining for additional tanks (and me saying keep it as it is xD ), it`s just a bad joke, here and in the o2 thread.
    DEAL WITH IT.
    Problem is the Devs shouldn`t listen that much to all the whinethreads because you can never satisfy everyone.
    edited June 2016
    Wow, a bit harsh, don't you think? Lol. If 1% per second seems fine with you, then whatever, I am not complaining, got used to it already. It just seems a bit fast draining, that's all :) And I HATE the fact that now I need to carry around extra batteries in my already bloated inventory and that I am stuck with the hyperspeed of Charging Fins.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Not harsh, just honest, but people often misunderstand that.
    Well, you did call my thread a bad joke :)
    Yes, and I said why. You don`t need to agree to my view, but it`s my opinion.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I haven't had a complete testing experience yet, but if the energy usage of the seaglide is more efficiently tied to the charger fins, I think that's a fair deal. I haven't experienced any trouble so far with using the seaglide even without charger fins.

The only thing that was a bit of a nasty surprise was that my old tactic was to switch out the battery when I needed it by simply clicking R, which was fast enough to be done while outrunning a predator. Trying that tactic this game while running from a predator to see a submenu pop up was inconvenient. I think an improvement can be made to the exchange system to be more direct (and between this and stackable tanks, I do think there's a need to discuss inventory space), but otherwise I'm fine.
    I just got to the seaglide with the new game and geez, you're absolutely right on the charge time. Its not hard to work around it by any means, but definitely a shock for the first time out on it. The submenu thing got me too, but still not bad once you get the hang of it.
  • ColdSpyderColdSpyder AZ Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217767Members
    I think it's a necessary change they made. The seaglide isn't meant to be an optimized mode of transportation. For full traveling and exploratory purposes, there's the Seamoth. The Seaglide is useful for short bouts and this change really emphasizes that. I mean, ultraglide fins are pretty fast of their own accord once you get them anyway.
  • AdmiralPainAdmiralPain Germany Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215206Members
    edited June 2016
    Wow, a bit harsh, don't you think? Lol. If 1% per second seems fine with you, then whatever

Seaglide has doubled its Energy hunger. But for this you never ever have to search for Copper, nor to build any Batterys if you have 6 - 8 of them again.

And you can lower the hunger of the Seaglide with the Charge Fins.
    That looks like a pretty awesome trade for me, and realy nothing to complain any Words about it.

What you want? Unlimited Batterys that never ends up?
    Batterys that last a Week before you need to recharge them for free, in your Charge Station, and Batterys that Stack in the Inventory to use up only 1 Field?

Im realy suprised what some People are complaining about.
    They only see the double Energy hunger of the Seaglide, but don´t see, that they have not to grind anything for using it anymore, if they get their 6- 8 Batteries and a Charge Station.

For me the Energy usage and managing of the Seaglide is realy easy. When i use it combined with Seamoth i have 2 Batteys with me, when without Seamoth i have 4 Batterys with me, and always 4 Charging in Base, but 99% of time i don´t need the Seaglide when in my Seamoth.

This Update is the very easy Mode to run all your Stuff with enough energy for minimal effort, and People still complain for to much effort to run their Stuff.
    hrhrhr.
    How did you ever master your Real Lifes People? :)

BTW. The Update is Awesome ;)

• LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    Lets be honest.

The sea glide was too hungry before when batteries were not rechargeable.

So while sure, if it had been ok before the battery change it might justify increased battery appetite after... since it wasn't... it didn't.

It didn't need to be made more hungry to accommodate for batteries now being rechargeable, it was already hungry enough to accommodate the change.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    edited June 2016
    And so I thought I better play this and see how bad this 2x battery eating is.

So yeah. Trip from pod to main ship wreck, no stops, no detours, straight line, not hugging the sea bed, final destination...

Used up 70% of the battery... JUST to the side hole.

To get to the front ramp entry point... 98% of battery used.

Now sure, you can find batteries around there. If you are lucky.

But imagine a new player now. Your first early game mobility is the sea glide. What for now at least seems like the first early game goal is to get to the ship wreck and fix the radiation leak.

If you did not know exactly where the entry points were, if you did ANY exploring or gathering on the way you don't make it on one battery JUST for the ONE WAY trip. You might not even make it as far as the area where the supply crates that MIGHT random drop you a new battery are.

And you don't yet have a battery recharger.

And don't go giving me a resources sink argument. This is a convenience and playability situation, and with battery chargers battery changing is (rightly) NOT an actual resource sink. It gets to be one of...

1) flavorful fun thing you do occasionally
    2) Something annoying you do inconveniently too often
    3) A flat out impediment to functional game play at some intervals of game progress

If it's more than a battery just to get from pod to main ship wreck... it's a number 3. That's not the number it should be.

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I sincerely doubt that is new player logic, or at least common new player logic. I knew about fixing the leak, but in no way did I on my first playthrough feel any push to go there. Much more natural was fabricating all the tools the pod had to offer and explore to get the ingredients and food and on the way find all those fragments lying around, of which in particular solar panels push towards base building. The Aurora is very scary looking, big, on fire, and unstable, and the radiation makes it seem like a place that might as well be endgame.

What you describe sounds much more like an experienced player's behavior who wants to get a few things dealt with asap. It is counter to the invitation of exploration that permeates the gameworld.
    edited June 2016
    No what I described is an experienced player barely making a trip that a new player no longer will. The whole point was that it took significant foreknowledge and avoidance of exploration behaviour a new player would engage in to even make the trip one way with a single battery.

Now if you want to pretend new players don't want to deal with the giant radiation source/only visible notable location early game and instead talk about just going and gathering resources, that sort of battery use rate, for a new player, is at least a sea glide battery per gathering/exploration trip. Before you have a charger.

That, again, is not really a sensible rate.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    New players will be fine, the game shouldn't be made too easy/too fast at the early stages. Besides, it's not like the seaglide is required to move around anywhere. You can just swim without any aid, gather resources, and admire the scenery without the seaglide taking up a portion of your screen. My personal opinion is that it should only be used for emergencies, like when you're too deep and oxygen runs out or when a reaper chases your tasty behind for breakfast.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I do not know, I feel ambivalent on this matter. First of all, I never really used the seaglide because of the power use, it also obstructs my view below, and it takes too many slots in the inventory. I can think of some uses for the seaglide, too, like before you have the pressure compensator for the seamoth and need to scan some fragments in the grand reef.

But, other than this, you might be better off building the seamoth first, which is very cost efficient as a way to travel around. The biggest drawback I see is the inventory space. 3x3 is just too big, and packing 2 more batteries for it plus the charge fins is very steep. The ultra glide fins come available usually at the same time as you build the seamoth.

With the new lithium batteries though I think it might become more relevant, you could travel around 7km with one battery, and that is alright for a dive. If they also decreased the inventory space to 2x2 or even make it a place in the paperdoll UI it would be awesome to use.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    Nothing I assume. This is something I had not thought about, the new players just delving into it for the first time. Yeah it really makes sense there.

For a more developed use, I was thinking about how the map on it could be used in correlation to the scanner room to model a zoomable map there or on your PDA. So you have to travel certain places with your Seaglide to unlock a more complete map.