Sea Dragon Updated

2»

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    fire, underwater, sigh. If the question would be if he spews acid that would make sense... .

I know right? Has anyone watched footage of pillow lava and how quickly it cools?

I can accept magical technology, FTL teleportation, a freshwater sea etc. But at some point if you break too much basic physics you'll break my suspension of disbelief!
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Theoretically; even if it`d spew magnesium fire (burns under water) that`ll blow my mind since it`ll be so hot that the poor sea dragon would burn his own tissue.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    Well if it's going to breath a highly volatile and hot material. I assume it has heat resistant membranes and ... "heat generation chemicals" on board. I mean stomach acid is quite acidical in nature, yet we can stomach it - datpun

Also!

ALIENS!
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    WTF Kouji, WE are the Aliens on this planet, so there you have em. xD

As for the acid and fire, yes acid/poison is quite common in nature, but I miss a bit the part where spewing fire (and that under water) is found in nature. I like dragons too, but sorry, that doesn`t really fit.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited May 2016
    I recall a story explaining fire breathing as the ability to spew two separate streams of differing liquids. These streams cross some way past the teeth and it is their mixture that causes the flame. I always liked that design. It may not be realistic, but it sure sounds a lot more believable than, say, creatures that shoot blood from their eyes and ones that puncture their skin with their own ribs as a defense mechanism. And both those two exist here on Earth. Therefore, I'm really not feeling like calling fake on an alien capable of breathing fire.
    edited May 2016
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I recall a story explaining fire breathing as the ability to spew two separate streams of differing liquids. These streams cross some way past the teeth and it is their mixture that causes the flame. I always liked that design. It may not be realistic, but it sure sounds a lot more believable than, say, creatures that shoot blood from their eyes and ones that puncture their skin with their own ribs as a defense mechanism. And both those two exist here on Earth. Therefore, I'm really not feeling like calling fake on an alien capable of breathing fire.

That would sortof work - there is still the issue of needing to have super-cavitating liquids though...

...hmm, maybe if it shoots a superheated projectile that is encapsulated in steam? Kindof like a steam torpedo but with the propulsive reaction happening on the outside? Sort of like one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_rocket or these: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Подземная_лодка
    Anyway, I really hope we learn to mod this thing so we can tweak it a bit.

I'm sure making slower would add a lot more to the sense of mass. I have a feeling that the torso needs a few more bones for its animations though (right now direction changes are transferred instantaneously from head to tail - which gives the impression of it being a very small and rigid body).
    Avi and Drowned don`t forget all underwater, that`s the hardest part. above water might be half realistic.