Question for the Devs

AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
Why is it called an Exosuit? It's really more of a mech suit.

Comments

• Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I think you are right since you sit in it rather then wear it. I suspect it was just an easy association due to its arms and legs, and over all humanoid shape. The devs do some amazing stuff, but the fine details are sometimes put aside. I asked for air locks so the sea does not follow me into my base when I open a hatch, but they said that will likely never happen. So we stick with magic poofing in and out of hatches. No angry sea trying to fill your base.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Probably because Exosuit and Mech suit are interchangeable due to poorly defined definitions. If everything from the Exosuit from the Elysium movie to something just a tad bigger than Subnautica's Exosuit is considered as an Exosuit or the Mech suit from the Batman vs. Superman movie to giant mechs can be considered as Mech suits, then the devs could use whatever term they want. Although, I would say that the Subnautica Exosuit is a large exosuit or small mech suit.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I very much agree and have been lobbying to try and get us to stop referring to it as the exosuit, and instead start calling it a mech.

Basically we came up with the idea of adding an exosuit to the game, but as the concept design and mechanics involved, it became much more like a mech vehicle then an exosuit, but old habits die hard, so we've just continued calling it the Exosuit. However all the in game text that is being written for it now does not refer to it directly as an exosuit.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Mech sounds like it's more geared for combat, Exosuit has a more... Utilitarian name.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    I very much agree and have been lobbying to try and get us to stop referring to it as the exosuit, and instead start calling it a mech.

Basically we came up with the idea of adding an exosuit to the game, but as the concept design and mechanics involved, it became much more like a mech vehicle then an exosuit, but old habits die hard, so we've just continued calling it the Exosuit. However all the in game text that is being written for it now does not refer to it directly as an exosuit.
    Why not just formally name it the P.R.A.W.N. Suit?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members

Absolutely in favor of that. It strikes me as weird we've got the Seamoth and the Cyclops and then suddenly the exosuit. I'd much rather refer to it as the P.R.A.W.N..
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Absolutely in favor of that. It strikes me as weird we've got the Seamoth and the Cyclops and then suddenly the exosuit. I'd much rather refer to it as the P.R.A.W.N..
    I bring this up because an "Exosuit" to me is something you wear, while a Mech is something you pilot.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    Both you wear and pilot, mech is just bigger if we agree with hollywood... . Technically you even wear and pilot a car. Always this "in-the-box-thinking" ;P
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Fact: Subnautica has hazardous critters that range in size from Pokemon to Kaiju.

I'll be most distressed if the ExoSuit is rather less capable than a Jaeger mech. If it can be taken out by a Crash or Hanging Stingers (or whatever they're called this week), reckon I'll stick to the Seamoth, thanks very much.

One-hit kills from any creature would be a deal-breaker for this vehicle. Don't mind taking some nominal damage from a rough encounter, since the ExoSuit's meant to be used in extremely hazardous conditions. Should be able to withstand momentary contact with active lava, but not total immersion for any appreciable length of time.

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    That is what it is going to formally be called, in the game. As I said, there will be no references to Exosuits or Mechsuits in the game, it is going to be the P.R.A.W.N. suit. But it still will probably be referred to informally as the exo or mech or something along those lines on forums and such.