New Weapon Idea

Will_DestroyWill_Destroy Uknown Oceanic World Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217748Members
I thought of the new MG, and thought, why not have a SMG? It could cost somewhere around 5 resources. Or it could be an alternative to the rifle. You could either have the choice to start with the rifle or the SMG. Please let me know what you think of this idea.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    The MG fits a role as lifeform killer, specifically onos. What role would the SMG do?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    mg should be another secondary in that case
  • corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    I would like to see variations of existing weapons. Three different pistols, shotguns, assault rifles. They should have similar stats with slight variations and unique models. Just for fun and diversity in game.

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    corund wrote: »
    I would like to see variations of existing weapons. Three different pistols, shotguns, assault rifles. They should have similar stats with slight variations and unique models. Just for fun and diversity in game.

Would love that too. We have different main weapons, but only one Pistol. We could add a Pistol with less fire rate and bullets, but more damage.

For example: 6 bullets, but 35 damage per bullet. The pistol could be researched at the armory.

And another idea: attachments for the rifle or shotgun. for example a grenadelauncher-attachment or flamethrower-attachment. Right now, the flamethrower is pretty useless in the game. But as an attachment it could be usefull again
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited May 2016
    What could have been....
    8vDZ1So.jpg?1
    zvX9ocT.jpg?1
    vG1QIkn.jpg?1
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For any new weapon idea, you need to decide what role it will fill that another gun does not fill. This is important.

I am assuming though, that you don't care about that. You just want more guns for the sake of more guns. At that point I ask, when does it become too many guns for it to make sense in this game?

Are all these guns researchable? Why would the commander research them? People spending too much time at the armory trying to decide which gun out of 100 guns they want is not good.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been a supporter of the weapon side-grade idea for a while now, where if you could choose between either spawning with the default rifle or a weapon that is pretty much a weaker hmg. As it is right now, the default rifle is highly punishing to miss with for new players due to it's incredible accuracy and the required shots to kill which actually makes it hard to fight the fast moving lifeforms for newer players that aren't used to tracking them yet.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    I've been a supporter of the weapon side-grade idea for a while now, where if you could choose between either spawning with the default rifle or a weapon that is pretty much a weaker hmg. As it is right now, the default rifle is highly punishing to miss with for new players due to it's incredible accuracy and the required shots to kill which actually makes it hard to fight the fast moving lifeforms for newer players that aren't used to tracking them yet.
    Isn't the lmg exactly that, a weaker a hmg?

What about bringing back the GL attachment and make it use the different grenade types as ammo shock/cluster/gas but faster than by hand, with more reach.
    The ammo would cost pres but if you have the attachment you could carry 3 grenades.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Isn't the lmg exactly that, a weaker a hmg?

Hah, no. Like I said, the LMG has a very tight firing cone that makes the gun more accurate but harder to track with as opposed to the HMG which is inaccurate but every player is pretty much guaranteed to get a few shots in.
    What about bringing back the GL attachment and make it use the different grenade types as ammo shock/cluster/gas but faster than by hand, with more reach.
    The ammo would cost pres but if you have the attachment you could carry 3 grenades.

The GL attachment was removed for being too strong of a combo which made it hard for aliens to defend against, I don't understand this fascination everyone has for bringing it back.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    The GL attachment was removed for being too strong of a combo which made it hard for aliens to defend against, I don't understand this fascination everyone has for bringing it back.
    because .. fun and feasible

Another idea, energy swords :P seriously imagine marines having some sort of scary melee weapon for when out of ammo.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The Implementation of the Grenade-launcher Attachment was the problem, not the idea.
    If you can come up with a Good implementation of it, it will most certainly be considered, if not Implemented outright.
    Everyone is more powerful now, so a small thing such as GL attachments will probably not have such a huge impact anymore.