New Weapon Ideas?

TuukuTuuku California, USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217140Members
Honestly i find that the knife isn't enough, we have been on this planet for days/months/(possibly)years we need to make a stand and take equal ground against these predators. I for one am tired of living in fear of the fauna! Stand with me my brothers and sisters! We must think of new weapons so that we can take the battle to them! WHO'S WITH ME??!?! :smiley:

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    A speargun maybe? It is plausible, and a definite staple of underwater survival (and it's not a conventional firearm (or a firearm at all!))
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I'd really like to see two versions of a spear added. Thrusting motions actually work in water (compared to slashes), and a spear is the most common tool ever made by humans, after a knife, because it can be used for so many things - hunting, self defense, harvesting food, and more. Humans survived because we made tools to deal with the challenges of nature; we overcame our lack of claws, venom, armor, speed, etc by building things that compensate for it.

First, a hand spear, which is essentially an extension of your knife. The recipe would be as simple as Knife+Pipe+Fiber Mesh. This would not be a ranged weapon, rather something that gives you some stand off distance - useful to fend off a predator, and to harvest dangerous flora like Acid Mushrooms. As a polearm and farming tool, this is historically accurate, and technologically feasible within the framework of the game itself.

Second, a speargun, which *is* a ranged weapon, but very short range, powered by an elastic band. The recipe would be more complex, perhaps Knife+Pipe+Silicone Rubber. Ammo could be cheap but consumable (1 Titanium per spear), or the ammo could be reuseable but require a more complex recipe to make (perhaps add Magnesium to make the ammo lighter). Either way, a slow reload time (which is realistic) would effectively limit it to a hunting tool.

Both of those items are basics of all water-oriented cultures on Earth and probably the second thing I'd build in a real survival situation, even if I didn't have access to a Fabricator that already has blueprints for knives, pipe, rubber, welders, laser cutters, and more.
  • benitocbenitoc Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215115Members
    I totally agree. I have died countless times to biters, sandsharks, stalkers etc. A spear is something I have thought about for a long time. The knife just does not cut it. Besides, when attacked by any one of these creatures they always get one or two bites in before you can put enough slashes in them for them to run off. A spear, whether throw able or not, would be an incredibly useful and realistic tool.
  • DehpcDehpc Great Britain, Hextable Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217496Members
    Totally agree. A Rifle could be useful. Even a laser pointer to blind predators could be useful (shine it in their eye/head)
  • DehpcDehpc Great Britain, Hextable Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217496Members
    Also, benitoc, i agree. The knife just does not CUT it (badum tssh)
  • TuukuTuuku California, USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217140Members
    Maybe we can implement some alternate direction as for how you survive and adjust to this planet... like you can use these advanced tools to survive or take a harder route and use only "primal"/"tribal" tools, like there can be pros and cons to both... like the survival knife last longer and hits faster but the primal equivalent could be like a claw knife and it does more damage and maybe a bleed effect... maybe also instead of vehicles the primal version is mounts that maybe require food instead of batteries and to make up for not supplying air while riding them they can swim faster/deeper (depending on the type) and they make some creatures less aggressive while riding... but due to them not supplying air we would need some way to stay down longer, maybe if you bring Airsacks with you you can hotbar them and suck their faces for air or something.... that got really off topic, to try to relate it to the topic "primal/tribal/organic alternative weapons would be cool too"
    Maybe use gasopod gaspods or hanging stingers for a poisoned knife/spear?
    Freeman79 wrote: »
    We already have the stasis rifle and the repulsion cannon, more powerful weapons would make the game way to easy, this game is about surviving, not blowing the crap out of the sea.
    This argument seems to pop up everywhere. NOT ALL WEAPONS ARE WMDS! Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyway, some new types of weapons would be nice, but we do have to remember that the Aurora was only a terraforming vessel after all, not a military one, but at the same time, it would have to have some defenses if planets it came to were inhabited with hostile intelligent life. So, in other words, some sort of small multipurpose firearm would not be unrealistic here, but there wouldn't be much chance of the scientists bringing, say, a heavy machine gun or something similar.

Have you noticed that we are talking about spears and spearguns, which are NOT conventional firearms/weapons?
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    We already have the stasis rifle and the repulsion cannon, more powerful weapons would make the game way to easy, this game is about surviving, not blowing the crap out of the sea.

How is a handheld spear, or even an elastic band spear gun 'more powerful' than a Stasis Rifle or Repulsion Cannon?
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Tuuku wrote: »
    Honestly i find that the knife isn't enough, we have been on this planet for days/months/(possibly)years we need to make a stand and take equal ground against these predators. I for one am tired of living in fear of the fauna! Stand with me my brothers and sisters! We must think of new weapons so that we can take the battle to them! WHO'S WITH ME??!?! :smiley:

I AM but devs want this to be a "Peacful" game so my request havent made anyprogress either ;'(
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    edited May 2016
    This argument seems to pop up everywhere. NOT ALL WEAPONS ARE WMDS! Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyway, some new types of weapons would be nice, but we do have to remember that the Aurora was only a terraforming vessel after all, not a military one, but at the same time, it would have to have some defenses if planets it came to were inhabited with hostile intelligent life. So, in other words, some sort of small multipurpose firearm would not be unrealistic here, but there wouldn't be much chance of the scientists bringing, say, a heavy machine gun or something similar.

YES OMFG YES AT LEAST A SMALL SIDE ARM WOULD BE SOOOO NICE becuase sometimes a stasis rifle or repulsion cannon isnt enough
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
  • DragonsRAwesomeDragonsRAwesome Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217608Members
    I think we should add some sort off ray gun, seeing as this is all futuristic and all, and it could be charged on a podium in your base? you could make the ray the colour you want on the podium(like the seamoth) and maybe it can have some upgrades... dunno, just an idea

yes, i agree
    OR, maybe you could add some defences for your base like a special room filled with torpedoes?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • A55A55INA55A55IN Tennessee Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217360Members
    I love all of these ideas. But I do think we some kind of weapon/ gadget that allows us to capture hostile fish and put them in the aquarium like the bleeder or bitter
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members

I'm hoping that the Gasopod 'poop bombs' will be utilized as a cyclops/base defence against the bigger beasties. Chemical deterrents would fit in with the game quite well I think.
    Breed Gasopod in large tank, add ti inventory, murder in fabricator with some titanium and, hey presto - Chemical deterrent.
    Alright, we get it. No Guns. Is a spear a gun? NO!!! It should only work as a longer/throwable knife!
  • TuukuTuuku California, USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217140Members
    i feel that one of the best things we can get is a spear... realistically a spear would be one of the first things someone should make in a survival situation, not only as a weapon but also a tool.
  • perseusstormperseusstorm Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210598Members

the aroura was the second ship sent they could add a second wreck of the first ship that was more of a scout ship with some more advanced weapons like guns
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members

We are in the future, there isn't machine guns anymore.