Update 300 Released! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
imageUpdate 300 Released! - Natural Selection 2

“THIS IS ALTERRA!” First off, how amazing is it that we are at Update 300? The blood sweat and tears that have been poured into this game by so many...

Read the full story here

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can't work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    So, with the HMG and Focus coming back, NS2 is slowly turning into NS1.
  • LostWolfLostWolf Germany Join Date: 2014-05-11 Member: 195975Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dual rail gun exo only has single rail gun image
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Next stop, get rid of restricted command chairs, powernodes, infestation and add heavy armor trains!
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Next stop, get rid of restricted command chairs, heavy armor trains, powernodes and infestation!

Since marines do not need a second cc for anything, there is really no reason anymore to limit ccs to techpoints.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Focus is an elitist upgrade.
    The kind of stuff that widen the gap between players's types.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Renamed it to Machine Gun (MG) because it’s not really a HMG
    Heresy!

As an HMG enthusiast I can't say I'm really happy with the name change. Who cares if calling it an hmg is technically incorrect, the name is iconic to everyone who's been around since the old days.

I hereby suggest calling it the "Heavy" Machine Gun.

Popularly known as the "Heavy" Machine Gun, the HMG name caught on during field usage against the Kharaa threat as the Frontiersmen reported the weapon's heavy weight and the heavy amounts of firepower it offers.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    "We are going to use the Lava Falls to fuel our barbecue."

The changelog popup is a great feature that was long overdue, I welcome the FT cost change, and the new skin looks badass. Shame the HMG sounds like a peashooter now. :\
    Overall an update thoroughly for the better.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    Does this mean that good fades who were owning the game already before will now just wreck you with focus?

well, just make sure you don't lose your armor to lerks (soon to be ranged spores on biomass 4 iirc?) and you won't get the fun sucked out of the game by being 1 shot by fades.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Next stop, get rid of restricted command chairs, heavy armor trains, powernodes and infestation!

Since marines do not need a second cc for anything, there is really no reason anymore to limit ccs to techpoints.
    They need a second CC for, ahem, not to lose. If it can be placed anywhere it gives an advantage to marines as after aliens killed another one they have to scout the map and find the remainings. Not that it requires much time but still techpoints limit marines' presence on the map.

Thanks for mentioning me in the fixes, I'm grateful!
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    rkfg wrote: »

They need a second CC for, ahem, not to lose. If it can be placed anywhere it gives an advantage to marines as after aliens killed another one they have to scout the map and find the remainings. Not that it requires much time but still techpoints limit marines' presence on the map.

Thanks for mentioning me in the fixes, I'm grateful!

No, CCs don't do anything. Every CC costs 15 res so when marine team is able to spam them all over the map aliens should surrender. Marines do not get any map presence with a CC.
    You can limit the amount of CCs per room to 1 though. Would that be fine?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Get rdy for bite-spit insta kills. :wink:
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think so, just as with the turrets. But what do you want to achieve with that? I can imagine a trick when marines are surrounded on the base but some marine goes deep inside the alien territory. If there would be no CC restriction, he can build a CC somewhere in a hidden place and put an IP there. Some marines will spawn far away from the base and can push back or attack aliens from behind. I can't say if it's good or bad in terms of gameplay. Looks like a comeback possibility though.
    rkfg wrote: »
    I think so, just as with the turrets. But what do you want to achieve with that? I can imagine a trick when marines are surrounded on the base but some marine goes deep inside the alien territory. If there would be no CC restriction, he can build a CC somewhere in a hidden place and put an IP there. Some marines will spawn far away from the base and can push back or attack aliens from behind. I can't say if it's good or bad in terms of gameplay. Looks like a comeback possibility though.

Funny and interesting relocates and overall more freedom where to place your CCs what results in more options and more fun.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wait, does Focus stack with Crush? And how? (Additive vs multiplicative)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It will stack with crush.

Check out this google doc to compare. Courtesy of @Yaluzan. Give him awesomes. Not me.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11upJKQtGRyVQj3bGc6SxZr6fN4ThhM4vgFh1o5RBqi4/edit#gid=0
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    Oh I missread focus is +50% damage not +100%, seems reasonable actually.

Damage stays the same but armor damage scale up (multiplicative)

Nordic wrote: »

Check out this google doc to compare. Courtesy of @Yaluzan. Give him awesomes. Not me.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11upJKQtGRyVQj3bGc6SxZr6fN4ThhM4vgFh1o5RBqi4/edit#gid=0

Thank you!
    (no awesome)
  • Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    edited May 2016

Thank you for posting this. This is the actual information that is relevant to players, and would ideally be situated in the update notes themselves. According to this data, crush has exactly zero effect on the number of attacks to kill on players for any lifeform. However it may make killing structures faster still.
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    According to this data, crush has exactly zero affect on the number of attacks to kill on players for any lifeform. However it may make killing structures faster still.

Not necessarily. We don't know how much damage the last attack actually needed to do to kill them. It could've been minuscule, like for a skulk against a marine on armor 0.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016

Thank you for posting this. This is the actual information that is relevant to players, and would ideally be situated in the update notes themselves. According to this data, crush has exactly zero affect on the number of attacks to kill on players for any lifeform. However it may make killing structures faster still.

Crush only does armor damage. So on a marine it wont help you, but it will do more chip damage. This may be strong with lerk spikes. It also means exos will be easier to kill since they are all armor.

Structures do die faster. For example, that base rush where you get the chair down to 1% with 3 skulks. With crush it would of gone down a few seconds sooner.
    Oh, I also forgot an important point of CC — it attracts beacon. If you can place it anywhere you can beacon everyone there. Like as in that example, a sneaky marine builds a CC in some cavern, builds an obs and then commander beacons everyone there and recycles everything on the base to quickly rebuild IPs and armslab on the new place. The CC and IPs can be also built right next to the hive and marines spawn there and attack immediately. For now you spawn elsewhere and have to use phasegates with limited throughput so they can be blocked and destroyed. But attacking a CC with a couple of IPs and a phasegate is a completely different story.

It's hard to say if all of this is good from the balance point of view (but exciting for sure). Not that I'm totally against the free CC placement but it's a lot to reconsider and it would require changes in many existing mechanics.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    @RadimaX Allright, let's be fair and list all the things that have been fixed and accomplished along these 300 updates.
    It's quite a long list, but you can do it !
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited May 2016
    @Wake like fixing guns jamming finally after 275ish updates or whenever it got looked at? if only this was adressed when game was released and had 7000+ players instead of 300 players left. Sorry that i expect SOO much from a game like phase gate actually phase gating instead of NOT phase gating or xenocide xenociding instead of NOT xenociding it must be such unreasonable request for UWE to fix.
    About the phasegates, recently I've been playing on ns2_tram as a marine and we had several phasegates around. So I phased to shipping and surprisingly fell from the ceiling on the opposite side of the room, behind the shipping's RT. The phasegate was behind the CC or just in front of it, can't remember. That was the only time I had such a bug and it confused me a lot. I was prepared to see one surroundings and got something else totally. And there was no beacon that could cause that, AFAIR.