R.I.P Competitive NS2 2012-2016

123457»

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    @Zavaro :

I think you misunderstood me there a bit. I was replying to SupaDoopaNoodles post because it was only stupid and obviously false.

What's stupid is you continuing to whine rather than do something positive. A new comp scene is clearly developing. It's not going to happen overnight.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    From a thread on ensl:
    And on the topic of next season, we have no idea if there will even be season 10, and if we do have another season it wont be for at least a few months.

Wouldn't say clearly, but props to those who are trying.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    loMe wrote: »
    So a couple more things on why we rejected the Beta branch to maintain the NSL:

First of all, its a band-aid solution. Sure, we could have potentially run a few matches, but as @_mod pointed out it would have been a painful process with all the problems that we would run into. Even a Playtester told me that they still run into issues with switching between the beta branches (and these are people that SHOULD know how to do this better than anyone!), so imagine coordinating 150+ people with language barriers to run a league this way. On top of this, from what I was told, currently NS2+ doesn't even work on the beta branch, yet we're supposed to carry on without it?

The next huge problem with the beta branch is that it would have destroyed our ability to bring in new players and maintain the Gather system. New potential players would turn around the moment they saw that they need to switch to the beta branch in order to go from pubbing to playing a competitive round of NS2. Newcomers tournament? Forget it. Entry into competitive would have been stifled and eventually it would have withered and died. Then there are the people that sign up for Gathers and you're dealing with @_mod 's scenarios all over again with LESS patient players. People cry Bloody Mary waiting 10 minutes for a Gather to start, imagine having to wait 30 minutes because some Russian guy can barely understand English and doesn't know how to switch to the Beta branch.

"Oh well you could just have your community stay on the beta branch with your own pubs." Really? What happened when Combat got switched to its own independent game? RIP. And they actually had a really talented team of developers constantly at work adding new content. Beta branch would have splintered NS2 community and killed any growth for the NSL.

To the Bots that keep saying "LOL UWE gave them what they needed to continue playing comp" you really haven't taken the time to consider all the factors, so please mm2.

I have not been keeping up this thread, so this may be a bit late.

Although us playtesters occasionally run into a problem when switching between builds, it is really minimal. There are two kinds of problems we run into.
    1. An old playtester comes back to PT and doesn't know that we are switching builds this way. Then they have to be explained how.
    2. Steam servers are down and we can't download the beta branch.

The first one is the kind of problem you would run into. We even have a google doc made with pictures showing how to do it. This hypothetically could of been done with the comp branch in that there could be a google doc ready.

I did a gather for the first time in years last night. The gather was more of a painful process than switching branches. Sure, people wouldn't like it. But it is not all that hard.

Holy **** can you please stop posting. NUMEROUS people from the competitive community have posted and made it perfectly clear that it wasn't just one thing that led to the demise of the ENSL season (and possibly competitive forever). You literally just set this thread back pages by posting your ignorant comment. If I have to read one more god damn post about "well I switched builds once and we had other people switch builds before and we had google docs and blah blah blah" holy **** man.

P.S. 3,688 post count is not something to be proud of. More listening, less talking.

Seriously, why hasn't this post not been moderated yet? It has been over a day.
    It's
    a) Full of profanity (if censored)
    b) Insulting towards @Nordic
    c) Not constructive
    d) Overly emotional and rage filled

@Wyzcrak @IronHorse
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016

It's
    c) Not constructive

@Wyzcrak @IronHorse

I can help with that...

*snip* Images that are namecalling are no different than you doing it yourself -Iron

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2016
    MaxAmus wrote: »

It's
    c) Not constructive

@Wyzcrak @IronHorse

I can help with that...
    62337658.jpg

You missed the point.

It's not about me being offended by this post. It's about how numerous other posts that would have been tolerated in the past were deleted/edited by moderators recently, among them simple critique about these moderating practices, while toxic garbage like that is left alone. It is inconsistent and raises some uncomfortable questions about why certain posts get moderated. ("Did he actually break the rules or did he just upset a moderator?")

edit: After reading this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/142623/community-forum-guideline
    I flagged palagi's. That said, this hasn't been necessary for a lot of other posts; which means the problem remains.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow

It's
    c) Not constructive

@Wyzcrak @IronHorse

I can help with that...
    62337658.jpg

You missed the point.

It's not about me being offended by this post. It's about how numerous other posts that would have been tolerated in the past were deleted/edited by moderators recently, among them simple critique about these moderating practices, while toxic garbage like that is left alone. It is inconsistent and raises some uncomfortable questions about why certain posts get moderated. ("Did he actually break the rules or did he just upset a moderator?")

edit: After reading this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/142623/community-forum-guideline
    I flagged palagi's. That said, this hasn't been necessary for a lot of other posts; which means the problem remains.

Honestly his post really isn't that bad. Sure it's a bit rude, but he's entitled to an opinion. He also didn't actually insult anyone, just called a comment ignorant. And what's hilarious is that your answer is "stfu", you're not any better man.

If you disagree with what is being said in the post, click disagree, it's very simple.

In addition, the fact that this post wasn't moderated is actually a good sign, I'm hoping the mods realized they were going overboard with their moderation and have toned it down.
    Alite wrote: »
    Honestly his post really isn't that bad. Sure it's a bit rude, but he's entitled to an opinion. He also didn't actually insult anyone, just called a comment ignorant. And what's hilarious is that your answer is "stfu", you're not any better man.

If you disagree with what is being said in the post, click disagree, it's very simple.

In addition, the fact that this post wasn't moderated is actually a good sign, I'm hoping the mods realized they were going overboard with their moderation and have toned it down.

No, I agree, his post could be worse. But again: It's not about his post, it's about how it is being dealt with (i.e. not at all) in comparison to far more harmless posts.
    If my post is insulting is well, fair enough, then it should be moderated, too. It does not change anything about the original post.
    And if I'm not any better, fine, if you find that hilarious, also fine, but that does not change anything about the point I raised.
    I agree that reverting to the old moderating guidelines would be a good thing, but there hasn't been any communication that they were changing their behavior in any way, so I have to assume they didn't.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    edited May 2016
    post-2321-0-52521400-1417733698.jpg

Well, apparently you care since you keep responding.
    edited May 2016
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @F0rdPrefect A particular moderator was in charge of dealing with that post, based on internal discussion. But it seems nothing came of it.
    We aren't perfect, for the record.. we have day jobs, and I myself check the forums every few days and therefore don't catch everything.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think this thread has gone far enough now it had descended into name-calling. Closed.
This discussion has been closed.