Art Director

13»

Comments

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I just want the Draconis. I'd like it longer than the cyclops so i can fit both the exosuit and the seamoth.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Subnautica Co=Op, with that Sub as a massive mobile base / research hub, with one player as Pilot and other players as drop in / drop out crew...

Tempting...
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Also, I'd love to see 'ads' like these, but for the Subs...

• papragupapragu Home Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202455Members
    Also, here's a sketch sheet showing some old designs for the small sized sub. Would have been something between a Seamoth and the Cyclops, with a cockpit and about 1 additional room https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2k2nkcun2cfvzo/SmallSub_NEW_Set01_highRes.jpg?dl=0
    We were looking at #6 as a possibility for the small sub. Keep in mind, these were very early designs to start the initial sub visual exploration.

Omg your cruelty knows no limits. How can you post that link? XD Look at those nice concepts. O.O Damn look at #2. #3 reminds me at a ship from EvE online and #7 kinda looks like the Alderaan cruiser from SW.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oooh, number 2 and 3 are pretty neat, they have that speedster/maneuverable look to them with this thrusters on 3 and rear wing on 2 :open_mouth: Their design in general is coolsies
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    As cool as these subs look, they seem far too big to be deep see exploration vessels IMO. Given the way Subnautica includes elements of real world physics with bases and hull integrity (the bigger, deeper and more complicated they are, the harder it is to keep the water out), then deeper you go, the smaller your sub should need to be.

That said, it would still be cool to have them in game in some capacity, maybe as a launch/command base for smaller deep sea exploration vessels.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Pretty much the reason I was advocating having the big subs act as a mothership/carrier.

However, we are takinga bout future tech, maybe the bigger the boat the more power it has for hull integrity force fields (dangerous route to take, imagine a powerfailure *POOF* you're gone :D)
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Heh, wow, you guys really are getting into this, especially with all that size comparison stuff. If it helps in any way, the Draconis was designed and intended as a medium sized sub. BUT the Cyclops was also considered a medium sized sub, with the shark like one a large sub. So, the Draconis would have been about the size of the Cyclops, but probably a bit longer.

Also, here's a sketch sheet showing some old designs for the small sized sub. Would have been something between a Seamoth and the Cyclops, with a cockpit and about 1 additional room https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2k2nkcun2cfvzo/SmallSub_NEW_Set01_highRes.jpg?dl=0
    We were looking at #6 as a possibility for the small sub. Keep in mind, these were very early designs to start the initial sub visual exploration. The Cyclops and Shark / Draconis were more refined designs as part of the second phase of the sub concept pass.

While the shark sub is certainly cool, it is a bit hard to imagine it driving around the world without obnoxiously bumping into every bit of terrain around. But it would make for a great sub if we decided to add co-op, since the Cyclops might get a little tight for more then one player at a time.
    my only problem with the cyclops is the terrible viewing from the front, I just drive using the cameras nowadays, and lack of space. Your adding so much stuff into the game and I cant fit it all onto my sub.
    That's kind of the point. There should be a reason you need to establish bases, in addition to having a Cyclops. If it was big enough to fit everything AND had mobility, then why build a base?

Ok I really think you guys should add one of those small subs sometime. [#1 is my Favorite] They all look really good and it would be nice to take something down with room for storage and moving around thats more easy to get through smalle spaces.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig If you want to give bases a reason, then docking to refill the sub resources (power, air, torpedos) or exchange world data (map or object data from scanning new regions) would be the best use. Another exclusive to bases would be resource pipes from drill/harvesting stations in the deep, needing a base to do the job and acting like a harvesting node.

If you really plan to add new subs at a later time you might want to think about a flexible docking solution to dock different mid to large sized subs, like Sub #6, the Co-Op Shark and not only the well known Cyclops. I don't know how to dock the Shark other than from below and Sub #6 would probably dock from the side. What's your docking plan for the future?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited May 2016
    But it would make for a great sub if we decided to add co-op, since the Cyclops might get a little tight for more then one player at a time.

All of your ideas and diff subs concepts are all pretty cool, altho i would refrain from using those .... words ''That shall not be named'' like ''Co-op'' and ''Docking larger subs'' as the simple reference to them tends to open rifts in time and space, thus calling down the Holy Flames of Judgement upon us, poor mortals :dizzy::trollface:
  • Trollolol07Trollolol07 France (Jellyshroom Biome) Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215840Members
    these subs are awesome!
  • papragupapragu Home Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202455Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    ''That shall not be named'' like ''Co-op'' and ''Docking larger subs'' as the simple reference to them tends to open rifts in time and space, thus calling down the Holy Flames of Judgement upon us, poor mortals :dizzy::trollface:

haha this made me laugh so hard.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    My main issue with the Cyclops is that its bottom half's only function is there to annoy me. Here we have a sea-floor oriented game, and our sub is surface oriented. The large and useless chin and entire bottom section is what annoys me. Yes, I like its general look (and I like the Cyclops as is way more than posts like this may seem to imply)... but it's just off. There's an impracticality about its shape that holds my dislike. I mean, here we have that big chin that already annoys me. I can take the Seamoth being a bottom-docker, but the general main entrance being at the bottom... no. A practical sub would have it on the top.

In the posted concept art, I like 2, 3, 4 and 5 best, and perhaps 7. Based on their practicality. Design wise I don't really like seven, but it has GREAT visibility. I honestly think 5 would have been a good alternative for the current Cyclops. Pretty much the same line, just without the slightly useless bottom part.

For a medium sized exploration sub (possibly carrying an exoskeleton, but that thing turned out WAY bigger than I imagined) I think I like 2, 3 and 4 best.

Unfortunately, I can fully understand the time that goes into the cyclops, so please keep improving it, I'll always have a love-hate-relationship with the Cyclops, because I still think it's a beautiful sub.