Spark Detailing Exercise #4: Man vs Nature

FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
AvhXpVc.jpg

SDE#4: MAN vs NATURE
"Create a scene in which nature dominates, but mankind is leaving a distinct visual footprint."

Restrictions: None. Go wild if you wish, but remember that it's really easy to think too big and have the scope of your idea result in failure. If anything think small. This is a detailing exercise. Especially if you don't really have a lot of time to dedicate to this, just make your scene smaller in scope.

Due date: Monday June 13th. That's three weeks and a bit of weekend from now. If you finish earlier, feel free to post your work. I'm not setting an earliest due date for this.

EXAMPLES
I wanted to include some examples of natural assets from NS2, since your first idea might be "but it's a sci-fi game with technological and space ship assets!" There's enough vegetation assets to be found in the game to make something cool-looking. Also, even though both these a examples are all trees-and-shrubberies, nature doesn't have to be green. Arctic wastes or an underwater scene are a-okay in my book. But remember: don't think too big and get lost in your own idea.
MWzNYQb.jpg

9jqEAHR.jpg

PURPOSE AND RULES
This is a creative, visual exercise that is meant to help you get better at lighting and detailing your levels. There is no need to make your entry abide by unwritten NS2 mapping rules such as limited lines-of-sight, avoiding tactically OP hiding spots, etc.

When submitting your level in this thread, please post enough screenshots from various angles to show off your work, include links to the .level file (or the Steam Workshop page if you published it there), and links to any source material you used. You are free to use concept art, photographs, sketches, or any other sources for inspiration as long as you include them in your submission post. Please try to include your thoughts and motivation for what you were trying to accomplish; point out what you were happy and unhappy with, etc.

Use this thread to post questions, discuss the theme, and eventually post your submission. Once submissions are posted, please try to discuss and post constructive criticism on each entry. If your submission isn't completely done by the end of the specified period, don't sweat it. Just post it, and we will try to provide feedback on what's there.

The rules may change in later exercises.

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    hmmmm... I may just have to take part in this one ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This is a very cool theme, can't wait for the results.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    flat certainly knows how to peak my interest :D
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Loki wrote: »
    flat certainly knows how to peak my interest :D

At least performance isn't a grading factor. :)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Inspirational concept art, you say? This isn't quite the style that you might expect for this theme, but different things lead to different inspiration. These are by Simon Stalenhag, and you can check out more here: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/
    by_theengineer_2560.jpg
    astronomen_1920.jpg
    booth_1920.jpg
    summerlove31_1920.jpg
    summerlove34_1920.jpg
    bio_south.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wonderful concept art! Btw you posted one of the bungie pictures two times.
    Having been a bit busy with Caged, I haven't been able to make anything myself. Perhaps I can quickly throw something together this weekend.

Anyone else making progress? It's been a bit quiet, so I am wondering if we'll get any entries at all. :smiley:
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    oh damn, I totally forgot about this... I intended to actually take part :(

I will start work either tonight or tomorrow... but don't expect anything spectacular, I'm not very good :P
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I will start work either tonight or tomorrow... but don't expect anything spectacular, I'm not very good :P

How good it is doesn't really matter, you're just meant to exercise and get better than you were before as a result. :smiley:
    edited June 2016
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Looks like it's an untrusted website due to an expired certificate. Fixed by throwing it on imgur.
    So it ends today huh?
    So it ends today huh?

Monday June 13th, so technically that's tomorrow for me. Just need to do some final polishing myself.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    Oh. My. God.

That is some serious piece of talent @AltF4 beautiful use of props and detailing.

I nominate you to remake ns2_bast :smiley:

P.S. Love the little details such as the pistol being held by fork and rope followed by a subtle crag relaxing seemingly under the waterfall like some piece of exotic coral.
    Fantastic @AltF4 :smiley: Do you have the .level file somewhere (downloadable or as mod on the workshop) so we can have a closer look?
    Wow that is some crazy looking grass!!!
    @Saffron_baker I like it. Next time try rotating some of the foliage props to make them looks less uniform ;)
  • AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    here is the link to the file
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704481842

since it was made very quick, too, it only works under certain conditions and would serve as a background scenery. it was most important to me to have something ready for some nice shots, rather than beeing super-tidy. but I want to spend some more hours on it and turn it into a playable room, so if you get any ideas and suggestions sniffing through floating plants, please let me know!

@saffron_baker I want to move closer, since smoke and the light playing on the rock surface make me curious and want to investigate the crash site. I like how you use darkness as a strong element.

@Flaterectomy It is very nice how it seems to be outside, you have a very good hand on lightning that is for sure! the artist used a quick brush on the grass, its hard to do that with the probs that are available. maybe mini bamboo could do the trick, please upload!

Would love to see lot more stuff here :)

@Yojimbo no! for so many reasons: NO!
    AltF4 wrote: »
    here is the link to the file
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704481842

since it was made very quick, too, it only works under certain conditions and would serve as a background scenery. it was most important to me to have something ready for some nice shots, rather than beeing super-tidy. but I want to spend some more hours on it and turn it into a playable room, so if you get any ideas and suggestions sniffing through floating plants, please let me know!
    I just went to check it out in the editor, but the mod appears to be empty. Only a '.modinfo' file.
    @Flaterectomy It is very nice how it seems to be outside, you have a very good hand on lightning that is for sure! the artist used a quick brush on the grass, its hard to do that with the probs that are available. maybe mini bamboo could do the trick, please upload!
    I used a bit of bamboo for some reed-like plants, but didn't want to get bogged down in exactly recreating the scene, but rather remake it with the assets that are there. Well, with the few little modifications I mentioned. :smiley:

I'll put my entry on the workshop in a few hours.
    @Saffron_baker I'm glad you entered! :smiley: Like Vetinari said, rotating and playing with the scale of the vegetation props will make that look more natural. I think you could also have made the scene look more cinematic by placing some lights around to have the fiery glow extend to the surrounding rock a little more. The current light used (is that one of the fire cinematics?) falls off a little harshly, and much is now hidden in shadow. Keep it up!
    All right, my entry (ns2_sde4_summerlove) is on the workshop. Since the filename on Simon Talenhag's website for the original concept art was called Summerlove, that became the title for the mod. It wasn't until later that I found out the series is actually called We Need To Talk About Annika. :smiley:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=708048198