Reaper Too Predictable

PacotheFriendlyTacoPacotheFriendlyTaco United States Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217003Members
I've reached a point in my diving where the Reaper has become something of a joke. It was scary and menacing at first but now I can just visualize exactly where their spawns are and then I can go ahead and no longer worry about them.

I feel like this negatively impacts the tension in a lot of areas where you should be feeling it. For example, some of the "abyssal" zones are completely devoid of Reapers which are really the only major threat in the water. Sure, you can die to a boneshark or a crabsquid, but they aren't that dangerous. I can get away from them easily enough. So when I am down in these pitch black abyssal zones I know that I should be nervous but I'm really not because I know the one thing that could pose a significant threat to me has no chance of showing up.

My suggestion is that the Reaper be given a *small* chance to spawn/drift over to nearby zones. Obviously not something like the kelp or shallows, but if I am in the Floating Islands I think this would be a great way to keep me on my toes and keep the game feeling alive. Like I said, right now, it's a game of memorizing territory and then knowing to never go there and you're fine. The threat is over.

I want to feel threatened.

Comments

• ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    I agree. The Reaper is after all, a massive predator, and therefore a territory of a single Reaper should be way larger than it is now.

I'd rather have fewer, unpredictable and migrating Reapers, than many predictable Reapers tied to certain biomes.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    All we need are roaming leviathans! Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't predict the roaming and now must listen to their "roars". Unfortunately you hear them far before you see them and that means you'll freak out every time you hear their sound, turning around to see from where they're coming.
  • KaduranKaduran Germany Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216898Members
    I agree with the others.
    An expedition to the aurora was for me and my little seamoth an exciting adventure, dangererous and funny adventure.
    But now when I hear a reaperleviathan and see him in the distance, I leave my seamoth relaxed and plug my electric defense system in
    (if its not already in there) and laugh.
    The distance when you are able to see him (and he didn´t react to you) is so far.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Yes. So yes.

They need to wander over larger areas...

They could also do with some randomisation with regard to their detection range: Maybe this one isn't hungry and you can close. Maybe this other one is unusually sharp sighted and will see you further away than the others...
  • PacotheFriendlyTacoPacotheFriendlyTaco United States Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217003Members
    edited May 2016
    Kaduran wrote: »
    I agree with the others.
    But now when I hear a reaperleviathan and see him in the distance, I leave my seamoth relaxed and plug my electric defense system in
    (if its not already in there) and laugh.

You don't even need that. If you hear a reaper, you can just turn 180 degrees and go in the other direction. Most of the time, Reaper territory is totally out of bounds of anything remotely useful, so you don't really need to go there unless you're just exploring for the sake of it. The only thing you might need is to get into the Aurora. Once. Other than that they are totally avoidable.

zetachron wrote:
    All we need are roaming leviathans! Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't predict the roaming and now must listen to their "roars". Unfortunately you hear them far before you see them and that means you'll freak out every time you hear their sound, turning around to see from where they're coming.

Exactly my thinking. Right now you hear them first and there's always a sense of dread that accompanies it, so why not play on the sound and force divers to keep their ears open? Hearing a roar where you wouldn't expect it would be ten times as effective and exciting.
  • OctoChocolateOctoChocolate Buttface Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217152Members
    I agree to predictable