UWE & Competitive

RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Now when the community run/based Competitive scene is down the pipes and propably will be shut down in a couple of weeks or so.

Will UWE create their own league to satisfy the new people? Considering it's a good way to keep player retention (which is the primary target by the looks from the updates)

Or will this just be another casual game? So people could get some info about that.

Comments

• loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    What UWE does on the other hand is to support the competitive community as well as it can.

We have seen UWE support big events like the ns2wc before, but not actual competitive leagues, which as i said, is probably not the role of UWE.
    So they should or shouldn't support it? Semantics.

Anyways, just to give a little input on this - It's highly unlikely that UWE would venture into running a competitive league at this time. There's several reasons for this:
    • UWE wouldn't be able dedicate resources to a project like this at the moment.
    • The attitudes and feelings between the competitive community and UWE are NOT good.
    • They would still need to resolve the problems the NSL ran into trying to run a league.

I've heard people say that a new competitive scene or league will "naturally" emerge from the ashes but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen on a 3 and a half year old game. But be my guest.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    ydy wrote: »
    Why would anyone even want the developers to run the competitive community? I don't understand this line of thought at all. That would trade away responsiveness and autonomy for no apparent gain. Better for a league to be run by its players.

I totally agree with you there, but for UWE to supply a platform for the league to be run would be nice... not requiring the NSL mod to pause/ready up etc isn't a "lot" to ask surely... having a tournament mode or perhaps a matchmaking system would be a huge gain... then the playerbase can build off of the foundation supplied.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2016
    i don't think anybody would truly want them to try and run the league. just looking at the moderation of this forum, could you imagine ensl being a fraction as strict? they're entirely different communities with entirely different attitudes. look at league of legends where, because riot runs everything and expects professionalism at all times, players get banned from everything and fined for one instance of shit talking outside the league.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Just read shoutbox on ensl Turts and Kash :) Then you'll understand
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    loMe wrote: »
    [*] The attitudes and feelings between the competitive community and UWE are NOT good.

Im sure thats not true.
    And im also sure that there many many comp players out there (especial lower div) that give a fuck about what some self-appointed ringleader (especial high div) posting here and in the ensl forum.

Its more like 10-15 people speaking for whole a league and it only seems that they speak for everyone in the league cause these 10-15 are the ones that scream the loudest.

The fact that they are proud to be banned in the official forum now tells more than enough about there mental state.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Asraniel wrote: »
    I do not think its the role of UWE to run a competitive league.

What UWE does on the other hand is to support the competitive community as well as it can. This includes a special steam branch for competitive players for a stable environment, the integration of more and more ns2+ features into vanilla as well as integration of parts of the balance changes which originate from the comp mod.

I think it's okay that UWE don't run a comp league, that's actually not the problem.

For me as an active member of both, ENSL league and PT, but also as an outsider (not part of ENSL adminteam neither the DevTeam) it all the time felt like that there is a huge communication problem. For example, there was change X for testing: I thought "hmm, could have a impact for compplay" So I told this the DevTeam, that they should talk to the ENSL staff about that change. A week or two later I asked in the ENSL channel if somebody noticed Change X and posted the trellocard. Nobody was aware of it, nobody react to it.

Also I think UWE changes stuff without regard to any loss in relation to the league/compplay. I don't want to judge about if all those changes ar good or not, It's just the way how UWE is publishing it, the big wave of changes that totally crashes the balance and gameplay of the league. Even now (finally), when alot of changes are related to compplay.

And about that seprate steam branch: you know what a mess we always have with the betabranch for PT, although most should know about it now. Now imagine this in a match, where first 2 teams with each 6 players needs to be present, then they need to find a server which is working in all belongs (mods, ping, performance, other stuff/problems), and finally you also need to manage, that all 12 players, both casters and referees are playing on the "League branch", on a server that also runs the League branch. That's ridiculous so I can understand why this isn't a option for the league (but a nice idea, improve it now!).
  • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    edited May 2016
    Don't publicly derail to discuss moderation. Take moderation concerns privately to any moderator.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "Div1-player" or "10-15 player" is name calling now? cmon
    edited May 2016
    Don't derail to discuss moderation. PM moderation concerns to any staff member.
    I really want this thread to stay on topic, and i feel deparas post, isnt anywhere relevant for it? Admins? Work your magic
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do hope the comp scene somehow survives.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2016
    I do hope the comp scene somehow survives.

Yeah and I hope for an end to stupid politicians, but that's just wishful thinking.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    loMe wrote: »
    Don't derail to discuss moderation. Take moderation concerns privately to any forum staff member. -Wyz

^^
    Don't delete my entire comment because of a nudge at recent moderation.

DePARA - You're right, I'm sure you would know more about the attitudes of the competitive community better than me. It's not like that was part of my job as an Admin of the NSL. But lets take a look at the recent poll on the health bars where 55% of the entire NS2 community wants it removed.

That poll can not be taken seriously as representation of the whole community btw
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2016
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes, I know it may be wishful thinking. But I LIKE to play competitive.
    I know its mostly the lower div still wanting to keep going, but that still means we like the nsl to not die.

If its a doable scenario both time and resource wise, not even saying patchwise, we shall see.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Serious request on this matter:

Please, take over the important features of the nsl mod ("ready", "pause", "resume", etc)

This is a no-brainer. I hope they take it on.
    and add a team based elo ranking system to the hive. Have the ladder reset every 1-2 months so that we can play a competitive ladder format, that requires a minimum amount of administration.

This can be done in a spreadsheet, no need for dev support. Just give edit access to a google sheet to the team captains so both sides can verify the match result. In fact, if people are interested, I'll volunteer to write the code in a spreadsheet that does this.

• AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    edited May 2016
    Only arsehoules like to hang out with asurules. It's a simple rule but works world wide.
    The ones who are no assholes are propably just afraid to voice up for their principles or are so desperate and afraid of remaining alone with no one to play with. Of course I don't know if that applies to that comp scene
  • AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    edited May 2016
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited May 2016
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited May 2016
    One even ate my dog alive !
    5u4wh8xzy7gz.jpg
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Lol wut. I was warned for that? It was obviously a joke and quite clearly wasn't mean-spirited in the slightest. God forbid I add a bit of levity to these forums.

My memes are just too dank I guess... :tongue:

Commenting on moderation is forbidden too. Prepare to get jailed now.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    PM moderation concerns to any staff member.