Discussing server browser improvements for everyone

2»

Comments

• BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    That way we don't have new people trying the game and writing it off as laughably unoptimized based on their bad experiences in what they wrongly thought was a "normal" server.
    You keep bringing up that argument, yet I am having a hard time finding recent steam reviews down rating the game based on this. Can you provide some evidence for this bold claim?
    Granted: There was a guy with 60h play time - giving a bad review because of hit reg - I doubt he played all 60 hours on those unwanted servers. Also: not all gameplay changing servers are running on double the load and would get the same message.
    To be honest, I think that argument is not true anymore meaning devs could save time in implementing annoyances like these. That are solely meant to deter and piss people off.
    It's not like the steam review is in the red because of these reviews which are based on bad performance experienced solely on unwanted servers.

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    Not sure if this is still on your radar, but the server ranking function https://moultano.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/ranking-servers-for-natural-selection-2/
    was originally designed to be used for sorting servers in the server browser as well as play now. It should really help people to get into a game quickly to sort this way by default (and also help seed servers.)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Go to the other thread if you wan't to keep doing pointless blaming each other (@MoFo1 and @Bollwerk ). Here we should see to improve the browser and going forward.

=> Here some of my findings concerning new browser:

b7rfr5pm3s8u.jpg

(edit: image bb code seems to bug atm, click jpg attached)

• neooneoo amsterdam Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215695Members
    edited May 2016
    *snip*

This thread is for discussing server browser improvements - not going off on a rant about firing staff or listing pros and cons of the current implementation in an underhanded effort to demand a reversion.

NS2 Large (by definition: servers with playercounts higher than 24) is considered a modified game mode of NS2. While we support this game mode, because it is a mod it will be classified under it’s own tab in the server browser along with other game modes.

The change to the default server browser filters will not be reverted. We are, however, going to be continuing to make improvements to it not only to improve functionality but also QoL improvements in our weekly updates as we work toward the ultimate endgoal of a total browser revision.

Keep the drama out of this topic, and restrain yourself to just suggestions and calm constructive feedback.
    -Ironhorse
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Go to the other thread if you wan't to keep doing pointless blaming each other (@MoFo1 and @Bollwerk ). Here we should see to improve the browser and going forward.

b7rfr5pm3s8u.jpg

I completely agree with every single remark in that screenshot.
    I cannot "Agree" to your post though because other than you would like it to be that inquiry is not blaming but a serious inquiry upon the evidence of the statement justifying a suggestion quite relevant to this topic.

on other news: I have also seen a server with 24/22 players btw...

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Bollwerk wrote: »
    on other news: I have also seen a server with 24/22 players btw...

That sounds like one of my servers. It's using a mod to increase the amount of max players when someone joins spectate. If they go back to the readyroom the max players will decrease by one but they are still on the server.

I realize it might be a bit confusing but it's working as intended.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Need a blacklist now to clear that trash on the list.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    _INTER_ wrote: »

b7rfr5pm3s8u.jpg

Agree with these except moving Back to the right. It makes more sense with Back on the far left.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stardog wrote: »
    Agree with these except moving Back to the right. It makes more sense with Back on the far left.
    Far left or far right, just preferably at the same position in every menu.