Should we be able to obtain certain materials by killing certain fauna

ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
Say you kill a bone shark. I think we should get an item called bone plating (takes up 4x4 space) if we keep hitting it that can be used to mod a reinforced dive suit or mod a blade to make it last longer/repair it. Or for the crab snake get a bio-luminescent jelly that can be used to make a small lamp or something. And the gaspods should let us make small gas bombs that can be used to make fauna leave us alone or even kill them if they stay in the gas for long enough.

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Killing fauna is usually more trouble than it would be worth to get said materials.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Killing fauna is usually more trouble than it would be worth to get said materials.

They could just be stuff that you dont absouletly need. Just for upgrading stuff. also we need some sort of a ranged lethal weapon
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    ech0gh0st wrote: »

They could just be stuff that you dont absouletly need. Just for upgrading stuff. also we need some sort of a ranged lethal weapon

It has been specifically said that we aren't getting one.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Senseless discussion since the Dev want it to be a rather peacefull game and that`s why they don`t even add "real" weapons. I think there was a statement for that long ago. To lazy to search.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited May 2016
    It's not entirely senseless. The Biters in the game are killed with one hit, meaning they cannot be frightened off or dissuaded. What about the fish you kill with the Seamoth? Why not allow us to collect their bodies for use in the Bio-Reactor? And if you can collect them for the Bio-Reactor, why not all the other predators too?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    It's not entirely senseless. The Biters in the game are killed with one hit, meaning they cannot be frightened off or dissuaded. What about the fish you kill with the Seamoth? Why not allow us to collect their bodies for use in the Bio-Reactor? And if you can collect them for the Bio-Reactor, why not all the other predators too?

i love the idea of collecting stuff you kill with the seamoth. ive windshield'ed more biters than i could ever count up to. were i able to collect them all and feed them to my bioreators, id never have power problems ever again! :smiley:

Also a good idea :)
    Senseless discussion since the Dev want it to be a rather peacefull game and that`s why they don`t even add "real" weapons. I think there was a statement for that long ago. To lazy to search.

Peacful! try peacfully getting by a levithan
    ech0gh0st wrote: »

It has been specifically said that we aren't getting one.

I know but i really need one for when I go deep
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    It is senseless, we are not even supposed to kill em with the Seamoth like i do. Devs want us to put em into stasis or use the other rifle to push em away. So there simply won`t be anything rewarding killing stuff other than making food. Even for the stalkers teeth we don`t need to kill em.

Personally I`d sometimes like to have something to smash an annyoing sandshark etc, but the devs don`t want it and it`s ok for me.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited May 2016
    It is senseless, we are not even supposed to kill em with the Seamoth like i do. Devs want us to put em into stasis or use the other rifle to push em away. So there simply won`t be anything rewarding killing stuff other than making food. Even for the stalkers teeth we don`t need to kill em.
    You do realize that most people ACCIDENTALLY kill fish with their Seamoth, don't you?
    As for what the devs want... they programmed these creatures to die. If they were so adamant against killing, wouldn't they simply have creatures that didn't die no matter what the player did to them? Or instead of a knife, they could have just made Creepvine pruning sheers?
    And then there's the Bio-reactor... you do realize that the devs allow us to put creatures (living or dead) into it, don't you? Any creature we can carry can go into the Bio-reactor, and it will work. As a matter of fact, in a recent video I watched from a player named Cass3rz, she experimented with placing different things in the Bio-reactor, and found that fish work better than Creepvine or other plant matter. And the devs made it like that, didn't they?
    The devs don't want killing for the sake of killing.
    Killing a fish accidentally with your Seamoth isn't senseless, it's just that, an accident. Leaving it floating there for the rest of your game, when it could potentially be put to use (helping you survive), THAT'S senseless!

edited May 2016
    You do realize that most people ACCIDENTALLY kill fish with their Seamoth, don't you?
    As for what the devs want... they programmed these creatures to die. If they were so adamant against killing, wouldn't they simply have creatures that didn't die no matter what the player did to them? Or instead of a knife, they could have just made Creepvine pruning sheers?
    And then there's the Bio-reactor... you do realize that the devs allow us to put creatures (living or dead) into it, don't you? Any creature we can carry can go into the Bio-reactor, and it will work. As a matter of fact, in a recent video I watched from a player named Cass3rz, she experimented with placing different things in the Bio-reactor, and found that fish work better than Creepvine or other plant matter. And the devs made it like that, didn't they?
    The devs don't want killing for the sake of killing.
    Killing a fish accidentally with your Seamoth isn't senseless, it's just that, an accident. Leaving it floating there for the rest of your game, when it could potentially be put to use (helping you survive), THAT'S senseless!

Uhh, you know what this topic is about? T-creator wants stuff from beat up Sealife for spare parts not living more or less in harmony with it. And wanting/talking about THAT is senseless. If you use stuff that got killed by your murdering driving abilities that might be questionable too, but in that case it`s dead already so yeah, why not use it.

And you really come up with "the creator programmed em to die"? Maybe they "programmed em to swim around making it fun for you watching em"... . Back to serious: Yes, fish got hit by us, but do you really want immortal fish? Then please change it the way that they block your movement like the creepvine seeds now too. Would be a nice statement from the devs: drive save or get your Seamoth broken by a peeper. Sigh, really... .

In other words: why do people always want to harm and destroy everything?
    Funny how you don't address the point about the devs allowing the use of live fish to power the Bio-reactor. Kind of defeats your whole"senseless" argument.
    I'm just going to assume that it's your poor grasp of the English language that keeps you from understanding what I'm trying to say.
    Whatever... enjoy Subnautica kid.
    edited May 2016
    Sigh TIE, I just didn`t respond to that since eatable fish are the only living things ingame that give "reward" for killing it. Obtaining crash powder doesn`t count since these fish, and ONLY there I agree with you, are programmed to die.

Just go on and be bloodthirsty in even such a nice game, but don`t count on it that the devs will support you with that.

Oh, and mocking people just because english ain`t their native language is just really, really low.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Your English is way better than my German! ;)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    To be honest though, the worst english I see on the internet is generally from native english speakers...
    sayerulz wrote: »
    To be honest though, the worst english I see on the internet is generally from native english speakers...

yea i agree with you :wink:
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    The best way for this game to stand out from the rest of the survival games is for the point of this game to not go around killing things.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    ElCabong wrote: »
    The best way for this game to stand out from the rest of the survival games is for the point of this game to not go around killing things.

If only the endless parade of hyperagressive fauna understood that.....
    ElCabong wrote: »

If only the endless parade of hyperagressive fauna understood that.....

Yea maybe a way to permanetly tame a stalker or something.
    Rideable stalkers...lol
    yomama wrote: »
    Your English is way better than my German! ;)

Thanks, but it isn`t perfect (like to screw up grammar for ex).

Maybe because of the use of slang?

As for the rideable stalkers, nice idea. Taming or some sort of befriending (hope that word fits) would be very nice.
    Not so much slang, it's more that a non-native speaker tends to think about the language more technically, especially someone who has studied and learned via a class. You're focused on learning CORRECT English. For Americans we have grammar classes which are forgotten as soon as we get out of class.

Y'all also tend to ask the kinds of questions about the language that natives who take their language for granted generally don't. Having said that I do know foreigners who make a mistake early on and it becomes part of the way they talk for 30 years!

Yeah, don't think we're going to get rideable stalkers...or a BFG! While this isn't a violence free game, they're keeping a balance which I think works...at least, the balance was there before the update that made sand sharks chase you across biomes!
    The Sand sharks have new behavior? oO Ok, while playing I thought more of "hm, wth are those stalkers doing?" Seeing em less in the creepvines and more at the borders of it.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited May 2016
    Getting meat from the shark should be logical. Might need some special gear to cook it though.

Btw shark steaks are great in real life! (I just wish that somebody would start growing sharks artificially, so I could have shark steaks and don't feel guilty about it)
    @Mr_Endar since you'd have to feed them fish, it would probably be economically inviable to have a shark farm, or they'd be appallingly expensive food.

As for the non-native speakers topic, the worst English I've seen on the internet was from non-native speakers... but they have an excuse, because they're non-native speakers, so you just have to work through it. Maybe ask for clarification now and again if the sentence is especially badly constructed.