Update 298 Released! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• npstrnpstr Join Date: 2015-03-11 Member: 201964Members
    edited May 2016
    Also the new server browser seems bugged. It doesn't categorize the servers correctly. Modded servers still show up in the NS2 tab while they should be in the Modded tab.
    One can clearly see there are 8 mods installed on the topmost server in the NS2 tab, actually almost every server in the NS2 seems to be modded and should be displayed in the modded tab therefore.
    9809ca6671.jpg

remi edit: screenshot is now spoilered
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    npstr wrote: »
    Also the new server browser seems bugged. It doesn't categorize the servers correctly. Modded servers still show up in the NS2 tab while they should be in the Modded tab.
    One can clearly see there are 8 mods installed on the topmost server in the NS2 tab, actually almost every server in the NS2 seems to be modded and should be displayed in the modded tab therefore.
    Thank you for your report, but this is not a bug. The "modded" tab is for alternate gamemodes / servers that mod the game experience away from the vanilla offering.

• ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    Nice patch, very nice job!
    But, I'm disappointed with removal of relative server skill. It was useful sometimes.
    Hope to see implementation of some tab showing the average server skill. Actually, I think there was one, before the arrows.
    once aliens get the third hive, it's over. You could argue that was the case previously, but the "push or die imminently" threshold now begins as soon as the third hive is raised.
    Marines have some time before 9 biomass researched. So they don't loose "once aliens get the third hive".

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Oh my god I realized another change that is extremely annoying...

Now when you left click on a server it acts as if you right clicked, bringing up the server info panel. This makes double clicking to join a server extremely annoying as your mouse has to be far enough off to the side to not click the server info panel when it comes up...

This already prevented me from getting into a server when a spot opened up (by the time I moved the mouse down and clicked join it had filled) and I can see it becoming an extremely annoying problem.

I'm praying that this is an unintended bug that will be fixed...

I agree, there are definitely still things in this browser that can/should be refined.
    remi wrote: »
    Thank you for your report, but this is not a bug. The "modded" tab is for alternate gamemodes / servers that mod the game experience away from the vanilla offering.

NS2+ has nothing to do with vanilla game experience.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @npstr The rest of the NS2 community would beg to differ - half the options and features you already have in vanilla come from NS2+ ... with many more to come.
    Hell, even this patch took concepts from NS2+'s minimal particles option.. that was the roadmap for changing the vision obscuring Exo and Fade cinematics.

edited May 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @npstr The rest of the NS2 community would beg to differ - half the options and features you already have in vanilla come from NS2+ ... with many more to come.
    Hell, even this patch took concepts from NS2+'s minimal particles option.. that was the roadmap for changing the vision obscuring Exo and Fade cinematics.

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not vanilla gameplay, by the same standard that says 24+ servers aren't vanilla gameplay. You guys have to show some consistency here and put modded servers into the modded tab.

Or better yet, just make a default all servers tab and let me do the filtering myself.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016

Well technically he is right, NS2+ is an addon even though it runs on 99.82% of the servers. It is not vanilla :D
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The rest of the NS2 community would beg to differ - half the options and features you already have in vanilla come from NS2+ ... with many more to come.

You mean features that were requested in Vanilla for so long that someone had to make a mod that the everyone absolutely relies on now? I'm happy seeing more and more of it's features being added to the base game, but it doesn't really change much now that ns2+ is considered Vanilla.
  • borsdyborsdy Respawning again Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188366Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Please have a sale soon! Need to get my friend into this
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    borsdy wrote: »
    Please have a sale soon! Need to get my friend into this

@borsdy We will actually be running a sale very soon :) It won't be a Steam promoted sale however.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    @npstr
    Ns2+ is more Vanilla than Shine due to the sheer amount of features that have been incorporated, and continue to be.
    Does that mean every single server running Shine should be considered a game mode? No.
    NS2+ only adds QoL improvements and advanced options (that we all want to see in vanilla anyways)..

It may be your opinion that NS2+ is a different "Game mode" .. but that is not the opinion or assessment of the developers. (Nor would I assume it is of the general community)

While I understand your concern over consistency, I believe it is misplaced as your criteria appears to be "any modification at all" to a server.

While constructive feedback and suggestions on how to further improve the server browser are still welcomed, claims of fairness or general discussion over 24+ treatment in the browser is no longer allowed in these forums due to the drama it spreads. So if you are going to make an argument based on NS2+ being a different game mode somehow, please do so without bringing up that topic as a comparison.
    @npstr
    Ns2+ is more Vanilla than Shine due to the sheer amount of features that have been incorporated, and continue to be.
    Does that mean every single server running Shine should be considered a game mode? No.
    NS2+ only adds QoL improvements and advanced options (that we all want to see in vanilla anyways)..

It may be your opinion that NS2+ is a different "Game mode" .. but that is not the opinion or assessment of the developers. (Nor would I assume it is of the general community)

While I understand your concern over consistency, I believe it is misplaced as your criteria appears to be "any modification at all" to a server.

While constructive feedback and suggestions on how to further improve the server browser are still welcomed, claims of fairness or general discussion over 24+ treatment in the browser is no longer allowed in these forums due to the drama it spreads. So if you are going to make an argument based on NS2+ being a different game mode somehow, please do so without bringing up that topic as a comparison.

You are putting "game mode" into quotation marks. What exactly are you quoting there? I never used these words in here. Stop trying to derail the discussion right now.

I used the words of a developer in this thread to point out that NS2+ is "game experience away from the vanilla offering" and therefore belongs into the Modded tab. If is was vanilla noone would have to run NS2+, right? If you are going to insist that NS2+ is vanilla I challenge you and the dev team to play on servers without NS2+ (there are enough out there) only from now on.

I also pointed out the inconsistency of having a Modded tab and a NS2 tab, which implies there would be unmodded servers found there, but they actually aren't. AFAIK Shine is more of a server administration tool, and there are several other obvious statistics oriented mods, on which we can agree that they do have negligible effects on the game experience, and you should note I never mentioned them here.

Back to my main point: Please fix the server browser to correctly display modded servers in the modded tab. Or just make a default all server list and let me filter it myself.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    NS2+ isn't just vanilla... no, it has transcended that status. It is proto vanilla. It is the vanilla of the future.

:D

Alright stop! Collaborate and LISTEN...
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    when i press ESCAPE to fix settings or remove healthbar in as its in the options but the game freezes for 5 seconds and i get a transparent grid in the background nothing is coming up, i try on windowed and fullscreen, does anyone else experience this and if so is this going to be solved in nearest weeks?
    @npstr For simplicity's sake the tab does not say "Other Game Modes" but that is in fact what "Modded" refers to in the browser.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Small funny bug with the serverbrowser:
    If you are already on a server and open it, you see that all players playing on modded servers.

And about the NS2 and modded tabs:
    It could be a bit confusing when you choose NS2 aka unmodded and see that a server has 8 mods installed.
    Some sort of renaming could help here.
    Like: 8 additions installed instead of 8 mods.
    @IronHorse Then fix that wording. It is confusing af. But the best solution still is having an ALL tab with all servers listed, and just give us more filters to use.

Also how is CompMod not a different game mode and listed under the NS2 tab? You must be kidding me. Last time I played it, it had its own balance and additional weapons.
    dePARA wrote: »
    If you are already on a server and open it, you see that all players playing on modded servers.

It could be a bit confusing when you choose NS2 aka unmodded and see that a server has 8 mods installed.
    Yes we are aware and are looking into the issue. It is an incompatibility with NS2+.

As to the tab name, I agree a different name may help alleviate the confusion. In one of the mockups that tab was actually called "Custom", but I don't think that's entirely clear either.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    dePARA wrote: »

Yes we are aware and are looking into the issue. It is an incompatibility with NS2+.

As to the tab name, I agree a different name may help alleviate the confusion. In one of the mockups that tab was actually called "Custom", but I don't think that's entirely clear either.

"Custom game mode" might not be bad.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited May 2016
    npstr wrote: »

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not vanilla gameplay, by the same standard that says 24+ servers aren't vanilla gameplay. You guys have to show some consistency here and put modded servers into the modded tab.

They actually are showing consistency...

As Ironhorse pointed out NS2+ is nothing but quality of life improvements. Options that improve the gaming experience as a whole without actually changing anything in-game (ie not having to manually adjust mouse sensitivities before each game)

Other modded modes from large to faded to marine vs marine or whatever, they all drastically change how the game plays as well as how it may perform. From varying strategies and style of gameplay, to different features or rules...

Trying to say that mods like large or faded are the same as mods like NS2+ or shine is a bit ridiculous.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members

Dota 2 called that 'Custom games', then changed to 'Arcade'.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    When I was commanding Aliens earlier, there were a couple of RT's constantly complaining "Under attack" even though they didn't take dmg and no marine nearby and not off cysts. More specifically the RT's in Ore, Mezzanin and Platform. I misted some of them, might have a connection.
    Oh and could we remove "Need mist" for Gorges and Skulks? The Rookies can drive you up the wall with their alerts. Overall evolve speedup and mist should be looked into. It feels too cheap to just mist anything.
    Dota 2 called that 'Custom games', then changed to 'Arcade'.
    I like Arcade. SC2 has it too.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited May 2016
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    When I was commanding Aliens earlier, there were a couple of RT's constantly complaining "Under attack" even though they didn't take dmg and no marine nearby and not off cysts. More specifically the RT's in Ore, Mezzanin and Platform. I misted some of them, might have a connection.

I had that in Logistics and Elevator. Probably not location-specific.

HP numbers were changing a bit on them.

And I think there was a dead RT that did that too.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    When is hotfix available?
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Was this release tested .. even once?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    @Balmark could you be more specific
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    NS2+ should be changed to NS2beta. Beta in this meaning is possible future versions of NS2 vanilla. A whole lot more sense for everyone who are used to the term being used in other games.
    can you remove serverentry.lua from verification checks when joining a server :/