What is wrong with this community?

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Seriously, while everyone is bitchig around about some minor changes in the past our 2 main subcommunitys are experts in this.

The NS2large community is whining about the "dead" of there server while it is full much longer than most other servers.
The Compscene is whining about upcoming changes that might break there compmod but refuse to use a simple workaround given to them by the devs.

For both its clear: The Devs are killing the game.

I tell you something:
You are killing NS2.

You are killing it with organized negative reviews, killing it cause you dont want to spend a few minutes in the week to download or copy a version that didnt break compmod or just playing vanilla, killing it by telling everyone how bad the dev team is and ignoring the fact that you still getting upgrades after all the years (something like this rare these days btw).

And this: "They dont listen to us".
Why should they, i wont either listen to people that reacts like little childs.
You dont like a change or a tweak? Well, maybe another person like it or dont care.

I dont like large servers for example, well its more i hate them. Since 2 years and nonstop argue against them they are still there.
Same with some changes in the past or the fact the hive skill system is still broken.
But it looks like, i have to deal with these facts.
And when there is a workaround available for a feauture that i dont like, well, i would use it.

I still love this game and its always great to come back for a while after a break.
But to see what happened to this community is kinda shocking, really.
Especial when you are not member of a subcommunity.

Comments

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    @dePARA, you're not helping by creating topics about that.

They've already done enough damage with the reviews, so everyone needs to shut up and play with workarounds or not or whatever.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    @Kouji_San

But there is a difference between nonstop argue and organize negative reviews.
    There is difference between pointing out things and refuse to play cause people dont want to use an existing workaround.

Peope told me that im dividing the communitys by telling my oppinions, its kinda funny that one person can do this btw.
    But what happened the last weeks is far above dividing.

I know, this thread would end in an pro/against large server discussion like most we saw recently with the same people spamming agree and disagree.
    I was only shocked that the comp scene is doing the same shit now after we survived the large server drama.

Well, im awaiting the "This is result of dev choices"-blabla from usual suspects now.

@devel
    You are right for sure.
    Can a mod close this before it ends in the typical way.
    THX
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If people want to leave a negative review based on a recent development of a game that negatively impacts their enjoyment of said game, then that choice is rightfully theirs to make.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If people want to leave a negative review based on a recent development of a game that negatively impacts their enjoyment of said game, then that choice is rightfully theirs to make.

Reviewing the game based on a mod doesn't do the actual game justice. If you have problems finding your mod in the mod tab, well may an eye doctor help you... and if you still don't find it and have other gripes with how the mod is not officially supported, you could always start a thread in the creation section where all the mods could be nicely discussed.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh so we're back at this again, chasing our tails?

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wake wrote: »
    Anyone pouring oil on fire at this point should be banned from forums one week to get a chance to use his brain.

And frankly, you should cut off this right now, the chances something positive emerge from such a start are lower than win the national lotery.

Exactly, I submit the notion of @Pelagir and @Wake. Sentence: Should be forced to bake cookies for everyone!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    dePARA wrote: »
    The Compscene is whining about upcoming changes that might break there compmod but refuse to use a simple workaround given to them by the devs.

Regarding this, @Simba, one of the NSL admins summed up the reasons they do not use this 'workaround'. I'm copy-pasting his own article here. You've probably read the newspost already but it might also give some information to those who do not go across http://www.ensl.org/
    Simba wrote:
    Using this will be very difficult to do and coordinate. As such, we have decided that it is not a realistic option. Reasons:

Coordinating 150 players to switch to a separate branch of NS2 is annoying and painful for each person to do. Some people will refuse to do this, and might force match forfeits as a result. Some may have technical difficulties.
    Coordinating modders to have versions of their mod that is compatible with our branch is going to be difficult. We would have to get versions of comp-mod, nsl mod, and ns2+ working at the minimum.
    Coordinating server operators to switch to use the right branch of NS2 and the right branch of mods will be a logistical nightmare. Any technical difficulties are going to take a lot of time to resolve, and we're all volunteers here.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    _INTER_ wrote: »

Reviewing the game based on a mod doesn't do the actual game justice. If you have problems finding your mod in the mod tab, well may an eye doctor help you... and if you still don't find it and have other gripes with how the mod is not officially supported, you could always start a thread in the creation section where all the mods could be nicely discussed.

"If I bold the word mod enough maybe he'll think I have a point."

People aren't reviewing negatively based on a mod, as their mods are still functional. They are reviewing the game based on a change officially added by UWE that in the end makes it harder for them to enjoy their mods, which may seem petty or selfish to some people but it is entirely within their right to do so.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just a sidenote:
    Its not the 1st time that a forum mod says "Im sinking this thread" but nothing happen after that.
    Like i mentioned in my 2nd post:
    Feel free todo it NOW.

Maybe it was a mistake to post what i see as normal pub player.
    If so, im sorry.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Just a sidenote:
    Its not the 1st time that a forum mod says "Im sinking this thread" but nothing happen after that.
    Like i mentioned in my 2nd post:
    Feel free todo it NOW.

Maybe it was a mistake to post what i see as normal pub player.
    If so, im sorry.

A thread, whatever its initial goal is, can always serve the community and bring some debate. But don't worry, we'll not hesitate to close it if necessary.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    They are reviewing the game based on a change officially added by UWE that in the end makes it harder for them to enjoy their mods
    Spot the difference it makes. It's in the end complaining that UWE isn't supporting and fixing the mods at the same time. (They even made it easier for ns2Large, because the binary doesn't need to be hacked any longer. But basically no word from the ns2Large maintainers regarding that...) However the changes are rather good and interesting for NS2. Of course they need to be balance out properly and thankfully they can do that every week if need be.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    But to see what happened to this community is kinda shocking, really.
    Pretty sure all the drama started before, when some modders pulled out after an update, showing to all how to deal with their frustration.

Kouji_San wrote: »
    in a game that has gone gold. Of course that causes drama.
    It was not really gold else there would be more players. At least that's the reasoning behind the PDT.

MoFo1 wrote: »
    They played and enjoyed the game for hundreds if not thousands of hours.. Are STILL playing on large servers... Yet they're writing negative reviews because they didn't get exactly what they want...
    That's exactly why I don't understand why isn't wooza banned already ? He threatened to get his friends to write bad reviews and actually did, we don't need operators trying to compete with UWE especially in a dirty, under the table way.

The ensl has had to stop mid season which leaves 140+ people extreamly annoyed and i can gurantee that you wont see a penny from the majority who would have normally been the first to dig into their pockets for new skins.
    Maybe if the season didn't have to wait 1 month or so for the modders to unlock their precious creation, it would have started earlier, which is probably a reason why we see last updates incorporating some ns2+ features and compmod balances changes when you think about it.

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited May 2016
    I kind of feel for UWE.. They do their best to update the game and support the community... and end up with certain portions of the community blackmailing them in various ways... all because they feel this sense of entitlement... Like they own the rights to the game and should have full control over everything that happens to it... To them UWE are their slaves who should feel privileged just to be allowed to work on it...

In the end UWE gets treated like they're as bad as CoD devs and it's sad. (Actually it seems like they get treated worse... Most people these days either ignore CoD altogether or they buy it every year, lie back and happily take being screwed)
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    Everyone is in their own rights to post a negative review and a small change can cause a negative review this is with any game.
    I have a number of negatives on my list and a number of positives and sadly the negatives are starting to weigh heavy.

The reason why i have not written a review is because i want to see where this game is heading and want to see how the devs respond to feedback.
    And judging by the forum posts the response has not been very professional with concrete answers, all i been seeing is personal vendetta's.

Been waiting for about two years now for some content or features in that time the devs left (That should have been my first reason to post a bad review because basically the game got thrown in the bin) to only try again a year later to reward players with a Tutorial "..." days after release cards and a server filter.

Stop saying this or that community because you all know damn well the game and the speed of development has it's flaws.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If UWE is not able to learn from the feedback that they received, I am sorry, then this game and it's company deserve to go out of business
    So because one server's community doesn't get exactly what it wants all the others deserve to die as well?

Wow..
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    When I have a game in my inventory that I am not going to play* then I might just tell people why. That is what those reviews are for.
    * I only play on NS2Large and Modded servers (siege, faded) - ever since NS1- because I simply do not like the vanilla game play. If there are only empty servers in my favorites then I cannot play this multiplayer game.

Btw. I came from NS1 and have played... you guessed it on 32 servers and siege servers. So when I bought NS2 I was expecting that as well. If not supported by the vanilla game then by some mods because that is also what was advertised back in the dev blogs - modding API, appreciate where NS came from. And guess what? I was not disappointed. Devs kept their words for the most parts and where they couldn't it was plausible and understandable as to why. That is why I bought the DLCs and copies for friends.

The actual question is: What does it take to turn a fan into someone writing a negative review?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    die as well?
    First off though, I like that you are admitting that it is dying.

In this context speaking of death is by no means figuratively or exaggerated. Granted, parts of that player base will migrate and begrudgingly concede to the remaining possibilities to play the game but the rest will be gone for good.

This is not some "stop nerfing the fades" discussion as dePARA wants to degrade it to - this is about willingly sacrificing an established part of the player base for the attempt to recruit new players.
    So what are you expecting in a desperate fight for survival? Pity?
  • Christel_MessChristel_Mess GER Join Date: 2015-02-16 Member: 201382Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2016
    Alite wrote: »
    Why can't someone post a negative review if they don't agree with the direction the devs are taking the game in?
    Let me reiterate: All that has been accomplished is hurting your fellow community servers and players. Nothing else.

Look who's talking! The guy who censors his own posts and call it an outburst. It's been read, everyone knows you want to "see [our] server die a slow and painful death".

Maybe you should stop hating against that very community yourself, if you're so eager on keeping the game alive as whole. But me thinks, all you're really after is saving what you believe is ns2, but not what others believe is also ns2. So stop talking about "hurting the fellow community" when you and other people on this forum do exactly that on a daily basis. This is hypocrisy in it's very essence.

Leaving negative steam reviews is an acceptable way of expressing your feelings about a purchase you made. It doesn't matter how many hours I used the product or how much I am still using it; if I believe that when buying this product, buyers should know that the developer does not give a single shit about their community but merely about recruiting new members, I believe it's actually my duty to inform buyers. Because if I bought the game today, I would expect that the developer is happy not only about me buying the game, but also about me enjoying their product. That's what reviews are for. So stop trying to censor those too.

edit (because I vow for transparency):
    Also you comparing those who leave negative reviews to terrorists and kidnappers just shows your incredible disrespect for other members of YOUR community. How about trying to figure out something that helps both sides? There's been multiple suggestions. All of which have been ignored and "our" community of the ns2large players is still left with one dead server that was well populated before the changes. So what on earth do you expect? Just accept, that we are an unwanted part of the community, leave the game we love to die and start playing a shitty vanilla version that I abandoned on after 10 hours? It's my choice what I like about the game and it's anybodys choice which server they want to join. That's why I bought premium version upgrade and all dlcs and even reinforced the game just before the program closed. I was happy with the game, I had a review saying "Recommended" but after seeing how little UWE cares about their community and the hostility in this forum towards suggestions that might help veterans as well...well I can honestly say I do not recommend buying this game. It's my opinion and you have no right to compare me to a terrorist.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited May 2016
    First of all ... I want to say that I love this game (or what it was). And I'm more or less only the observer of this all ... as unfortunately I don't have time to be more involved :( .. but now it reaches point, when I should speak ...
    Alite wrote: »
    Why can't someone post a negative review if they don't agree with the direction the devs are taking the game in?
    One negative review is one thing.
    Hundreds done in a campaign despite thousands of hours of enjoyment is HORRIBLY shortsighted as you are not changing the course of development.. you are just hurting the growth of the community for everyone else along with yourself.
    @IronHorse ... you should be worried now about direction developers doing right now ... The @Bollwerk says it pretty cerar for whole CDT/PDT and UWE!
    Bollwerk wrote: »
    This is not some "stop nerfing the fades" discussion as dePARA wants to degrade it to - this is about willingly sacrificing an established part of the player base for the attempt to recruit new players.
    there is nothing more to be added, just summarize ... it looks like developers willingly sacrificing an established part of the player base! an I'm feeling as victim in this...
    This is false and very true. Negative reviews are here, because "the message was already crystal clear" but devs are not making any action after unwanted change was done (player counter is excluded, as it was already solved!). Playing a bead bug is all response you give to us (players) and some false "mockups" how great future will look ? ... is it your answer? Please step aside and look at and options community have to give message to developers: #1 send a message (was done); #2 make your mod to alter game-play (done); #3 state review (non-moderated by developers) ... #4 abandon game.

If you don't get it, we're all sorry for you. spoiler: take an action ( proposal ? at least revert controversial changes which made peoples angry until you done it right and whole)
  • Christel_MessChristel_Mess GER Join Date: 2015-02-16 Member: 201382Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't you see whats happening here? The community of a couple of hundred regulars is being divided. We go at each other and spread hatred. We should work as one, but that requires respect for both sides.

I demand respect for our views just as much as I respect your views. I demand that changes are made to what in my view is a segregation of game modes that leads to bleeding out of smaller (and larger) communities outside of ns2 vanilla. "Ns2large" needs the help of the community, because without we will surely fade away.

Even if you don't care for, or even hate ns2large, it should not be in your interest to make it disappear. Because if you care for ns2, you should care for the rest of the community as well. If you don't, this community will fail and with it ns2 will fail. And you will be at fault, not steam reviews warning buyers of the toxic community and ignorant developers, but you who decided to divide the community by picking on the weakened just because it fits your course. THAT is extremely short sighted and will not change the course of development in your favour.

So get your shit together and stop the hatred. Let's reason and work through some of these suggestions that get ns2large back into the default serverbrowser again.
This discussion has been closed.