I wonder if the devs watch markipliers subnautica gameplay

dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
Well i've already heard that the devs watched jacksepticeyes subnautica playthrough so my question is: does the devs watch other youtubers subnautica videos like Everythingxriot, Markiplier, AwesomeCrunch etc..

Comments

• NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    I stopped watching Markipliers Subnautica let`s play since he began cheating.
  • nitay1998nitay1998 Isreal Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213278Members
    edited May 2016
    They liked his videos sometimes on thier channel so yeah they do notice them sometimes but now that he is cheating they will probably dislike them instead :p
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Head to their YouTube channel, and you'll see that they've likes some of his videos. However, I've no idea if they've seen Riot's or Crunchy's vids. They should, both of them are really good.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Getting the materials and exploring via that is what the game is about. That`s wrong with that. Anyways, as much as I like most of markipliers vids, in subnautica I think he plays quite bad. Sometimes funny, but bad.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The game at a minimum is about exploration and base building in an alien ocean. It is up to the player to decide if survival and grinding is part of their game. Now if this was a multiplayer game, then players have to follow the rules created by the devs. It is up to Markiplier to decide how he plays his game just like it is up to me to decide how I play my game. No one except for the devs has any right to dictate how I can play my game. In some games like Bethesda games, not even the devs have the right to dictate how I can play my game due to mods. If I want my Dragonborn to wield a lightsaber, then they will have a lightsaber.

If you are making minimalist bases, then there is no need to cheat. However, anything impressive requires far too much work or cheating. There are some bases out there that use more Titanium and Quartz than what is currently available.
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    actually Charlie has a shout-out link to mark on his twitter showing how SN sales spiked in the aftermath of his video, series, he even posted a new one last night! its going to be great exposure for subnautica when the sea dragon update comes out as long as theres no massive glaring glitches :joy:
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited May 2016
    Considering they used one of his thumbnails in Trello for the Crash Powder issue he had... yeah, they watched.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    What is wrong with that?
    Nothing is wrong with that. However, I've watched A LOT of Subnautica videos over the past year and I've noticed a pattern. Once a player/YouTuber like Jacksepticeye or Markiplier is no longer willing to do "the grind", their days playing Subnautica are numbered. The game then becomes a base building exercise, which they'll do once or twice, and then they stop playing the game.
    I'm disappointed Jacksepticeye stopped playing Subnautica, but once the cheating began, the game became too easy for him (and without enough narrative in the game), he got bored and moved on.
    I could see this happening with Mark.
    But then again... nothing lasts forever. And there's ALWAYS another game.
  • pocketmunchkinpocketmunchkin USA Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213480Members
    As someone whose been avidly watching Markipliers lets play of Subnautica:

This is an early release game, all the youtubers know the game is unfinished and know theres a limit to how much they can do. And yes some people will be mad they've started using console/cheat commands but lets face it. Even if they didn't and they spent the time grinding are they going to be broadcasting the grindfest? cause even if they did people will complain about them grinding because not everyone wants to see hours upon hours of hunting scrap metal or swimming around looking for copper or something.

You can't please everyone regardless but I think the youtubers rather show some action (base building or going after reapers or what little storyline there is) than showing repetitive grinding.
    starkaos wrote: »
    What is wrong with that?
    Nothing is wrong with that. However, I've watched A LOT of Subnautica videos over the past year and I've noticed a pattern. Once a player/YouTuber like Jacksepticeye or Markiplier is no longer willing to do "the grind", their days playing Subnautica are numbered. The game then becomes a base building exercise, which they'll do once or twice, and then they stop playing the game.
    I'm disappointed Jacksepticeye stopped playing Subnautica, but once the cheating began, the game became too easy for him (and without enough narrative in the game), he got bored and moved on.
    I could see this happening with Mark.
    But then again... nothing lasts forever. And there's ALWAYS another game.

20 episodes is already a lot for Let's Players like Markiplier and Jacksepticeye. There are some Let's Players that only play a few games so they can easily do 50 episodes for a certain game, but Markiplier and Jacksepticeye usually do a few episodes and move on to another game.

Also, the concept that cheating causes them to lose interest in the game is flawed. There is very good reason why Grind is a dreaded activity in lots of games. Some games make the grind bearable or fun, but in lots of games it is a mindnumbing activity that is meant to prolong the game without adding more interesting content. In Subnautica, the Scanner Room will definitely reduce the pain of grinding since we won't have to spend too much time on finding a specific resource.

It is entirely possible that Cheating allowed Jacksepticeye do his last couple of Subnautica episodes and Markiplier able to complete this week's episode since it removed the pain of grinding. Without the removal of this pain, they could have reached a point where they couldn't stand spending another hour on grinding for resources. Of course, only Jacksepticeye and Markiplier are the only ones who know why they stop, but 20 episodes on a single game is a lot for them.
    Cheating is cheating, whatever you guys say. If he/they would`ve instead went into creative mode right from start I might still watching it.
    Where is the danger in Creative mode? Facing a Reaper Leviathan or Crab Snake in Creative mode is a joke compared to Survival or Hardcore mode. Markiplier and Jacksepticeye's videos show that they don't mind dying a hundred times in a video game, but they care about their time and their audience's time. If Creative mode allowed you to die and had survival elements, then they would have used Creative mode. It is cheating to save time rather than cheating to compensate for a lack of skill.

If he spent 5 hours grinding for materials, then had to do the video, his videos would not be as entertaining. As soon as a game no longer becomes fun, then Let's Players like Markiplier will no longer play that game. So cheating is a small price to pay to keep a game entertaining.

Cheating in a single player game is completely different from cheating in a multiplayer game. Cheating in a single player game only affects the player cheating so it is up to them if cheating ruins or enhances their experience with the game. Cheating in a multiplayer game ruins the game for other players and anyone that does it should be punished harshly.

Also, is it really cheating if it is in an Early Access game? Early Access games are supposed to allow us to give feedback on the game to the devs either through some bug that the devs haven't caught yet or ways to improve the game. Devs don't add console commands to their games to let us cheat, but to test the game. Also, some gameplays become unplayable without the use of console commands even during the released version of the game.
    I can't speak for Jack, but if you've seen any of Markipliers other lets play you'd see that he avoids these shortcuts/cheats whenever possible.

He's currently doing another letsplay of another survival/harvesting/building game and its a game that has a bit more to offer than subnautica in terms of stuff you can do and despite it taking quite a long time to harvest materials and get things going, because it can be done and theres things to do while other stuff happens he's avoided using codes.

I'm sure if say subnautica had a way for say you to build a drone(s) to go and harvest materials for you while you go out and explore or fight reapers or something then people like Mark wouldn't use the codes because they could still show their audiences something entertaining while the background does the tedious work then they could go back to building knowing they don't have to go farm for 6 hours.
    I can't speak for Jack, but if you've seen any of Markipliers other lets play you'd see that he avoids these shortcuts/cheats whenever possible.

He's currently doing another letsplay of another survival/harvesting/building game and its a game that has a bit more to offer than subnautica in terms of stuff you can do and despite it taking quite a long time to harvest materials and get things going, because it can be done and theres things to do while other stuff happens he's avoided using codes.

I'm sure if say subnautica had a way for say you to build a drone(s) to go and harvest materials for you while you go out and explore or fight reapers or something then people like Mark wouldn't use the codes because they could still show their audiences something entertaining while the background does the tedious work then they could go back to building knowing they don't have to go farm for 6 hours.

Watched his mario maker series lately? He`s cheating there too cause he get`s enraged xD pity though since that`s the most funny part when things don`t go as he likes to.

Watched his mario maker series lately? He`s cheating there too cause he get`s enraged xD pity though since that`s the most funny part when things don`t go as he likes to.

There is the difference between being difficult and only masochists will enjoy playing a certain level. Where the difficulty out of 1 to 10 is 20. There are very few videos where I saw Markiplier cheat due to the game being too difficult. If anyone ever encounters THAT level, then they have every right to cheat.
    edited May 2016
    Not really. Just tells me you don`t like a challenge. Oh and that you`re one of the younger gens that never experienced really hard games with almost no saves etc.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I watch Jack, Mark and Generikb let's plays of Subnautica and although they are interesting I find that Phaota's "what's new in Subnautica" videos to be more entertaining.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I just found out that the devs even liked Squeezie's videos. If you're not familiar with him, he's a French YouTuber.
    edited May 2016
    Not really. Just tells me you don`t like a challenge. Oh and that you`re one of the younger gens that never experienced really hard games with almost no saves etc.

I never said anything about liking or not liking a challenge. There are some Mario Maker levels that make Unfair Mario look like Easy mode. That is not a challenge. That is subjecting players to a form of torture that should be banned by the Geneva Convention.

Also, where is Markiplier cheating in Mario Maker? Skipping is necessary for some levels. He completed 16 Expert levels with 85 deaths and about 4 skips. 4 skips is a reasonable amount and he spent at least 10 deaths for each skipped level which is a sufficient level of effort. Besides, people watch him for his entertaining personality not his skills.

I don't see the point of complaining about him skipping levels in Mario Maker in a Subnautica forum since they are two completely different types of games. Subnautica doesn't create the amount of rage that Mario Maker causes. How is losing a Seamoth to a Reaper Leviathan similar to spending 20 lives on one Mario Maker level?

Without going on a tangent about "um how do you cheat in mario maker" imma just say this.

The SS Fuck a Duck is actually Fuck a Duck III because he's crashed several
    Mark has stated in several other videos that he has a genuine fear of the ocean so the fact he's playing an ocean exploration game should give him some points.

Subnautica is still in early release and quite a lot of us here on this forum have used console commands to test loads of features and build our megabases so unless you yourself have not used a single console command in any incarnation of the subnautica release then this whole "cheating is wrong" discussion is moot.

Also its thanks to LetPlayers like Mark that I myself have gotten into subnautica and other steamgames so I think their overall purpose was complete. They showed off a new, relatively unknown steam game, played it, injected some humor and game play and throughout their videos have given it their honest reviews so that us the viewers have a better idea of what we're getting into. I'm sure the devs appreciate that since it reaches a much wider audience than they could on their own.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    edited May 2016

Also its thanks to LetPlayers like Mark that I myself have gotten into subnautica and other steamgames so I think their overall purpose was complete. They showed off a new, relatively unknown steam game, played it, injected some humor and game play and throughout their videos have given it their honest reviews so that us the viewers have a better idea of what we're getting into. I'm sure the devs appreciate that since it reaches a much wider audience than they could on their own.

Agree, to have a large YT channel play your game is invaluable to the Devs. How much would it cost to get an equivalent amount of TV or other advertising. If even a tiny percentage of viewers go on to buy, it's a win/win for everyone.
    edited May 2016
    Pocket, know you are talking fanboy like. Yeah, I know he`s in fear of oceans, but it`s DIGITAL. He sits in front of his PC playing it what might give him chills, but more than that would just mean he can`t tell the difference between reality and games.

To the point that Youtubers making relatively unknown games public to people I totally agree and like it.
    Pocket, know you are talking fanboy like.

fangirl, but I understand I fall into the "girls on the internet don't exist" trope. And yeah I'm a fan.

• TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Its still in early access so they haven't added everything (like the exosuit) so you have to use dev commands to at least get a look at it and like the sea emp. and the sea dragon animations people want to see that stuff
    edited May 2016
    Still Fanoby, since I didn`t hear the term Fangirl yet :P
    Besides, if I say he`s cheating with skipping and console commands that`s my opinion. You don`t need to like it or agree. But tolerating that someone has a different opinion than you would be much more wise than going against something you don`t like. Technically I am just right, like it or not.
    Btw: I wouldn`t consider myself a fan of him, but I watch most of his vids too. Stopped watching the VR ones, but that`s not Markis fault, the games are just bad, not him in them.
    Still Fanoby, since I didn`t hear the term Fangirl yet :P
    Besides, if I say he`s cheating with skipping and console commands that`s my opinion. You don`t need to like it or agree. But tolerating that someone has a different opinion than you would be much more wise than going against something you don`t like. Technically I am just right, like it or not.
    Btw: I wouldn`t consider myself a fan of him, but I watch most of his vids too. Stopped watching the VR ones, but that`s not Markis fault, the games are just bad, not him in them.

Depends on what opinion you have. As long as your opinion doesn't cause harm to others, then you can believe whatever you want even if it is something completely stupid like believing that the Earth is flat. All of the greatest and most evil acts in this world have all started with an opinion.

VR games just came out so it is just like where computer games and console games were back in the early '80s. The HTC Vive seems to be limited to games with limited travel or vehicle travel. So if the Vive was available for Subnautica, then it would work well with the Seamoth and Exosuit, but suck everywhere else. Which really is tragic since most of the tools would work great with the Vive's controllers. Imagine actually using a stabbing motion to deal with hostile fauna instead of pressing a button.

The problem with the Oculus is that it is currently only half a system. Using a Xbox controller for a VR system means the Oculus is not a VR system.
    I agree for the first part. 2nd part mhh, my thought was when they start VR they do it right WITH haptic gloves for example.
    Instead some lame controllers and many VR games have really bad graphics. Ok, if you say Graphics isn`t everything I agree too, but so far I didn`t see a VR game with a good story, gameplay or something else making it remarkable. And now don`t come up with "We have Subnautica as a VR game now." That doesn`t count ;-P
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    VR is in its infancy...after a lot of wishful thinking and failed attempts, both the systems out now are freaking awesome.

I remember the first Wizardry game, then games had 16 ENTIRE COLORS! Wolfenstein 1 was my first fps. Now you couldn't make kids play those games as a punishment...pong, anyone?

Are the graphics and substance lacking compared to non VR games? Sure. Right now. Personally, I'm excited the tech is finally here in a form people are actually buying and will be watching it closely.

I'm restricted to using a laptop and am not yet ready to spend $3000 on one that will run the vr stuff, but I'm watching and waiting for the next gen. If I didn't live in a semi truck I might have already built a new pc and bought either setup...