60+ tick server ?

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
edited April 2016 in Server Discussion
Would a 12-14 player slots server with 60hz tickrate (or more) be technically possible ? And would it improve hitreg at all ?
If so what type of hardware would be required ?
Do spectators impacts server performances?

Cheers

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I strongly doubt it would be possible.
    It would absolutely not affect hitreg in any possible way. Tickrate on itself for ns2 is the worst indicator of performance.
    Spectators affect performance also.

For more info read:
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Server_Maintenance_Manual
    (yes its up to date, I just havent ported it over yet to the new one)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Thanks and what about moverate affecting hitreg ? That's what I meant originally, the terminology is a bit unusual.
    I believe the default moverate is now at 26/s ? Isnt that extremely low compared to csgo that has 128/s
    When shooting 1 lmg bullet at a time and there is often uneven delays plus sound glitches.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Not really that much in theory.

Moverate in ns2 is what you send to the server, so doubling it reduces input lag with but a few ms.
    Upping the sendrate (and thus the new info the server sends you) would improve your experience a lot more. But to up that, you need to do other stuff with your rates also.

Most issues are in fact client side. Also upping the moverate does nothing if the client fps is lower.
    There are some weird reported issues in the latest build mostly with interp, but thats on any rates atm, so no point worrying about that.
    Default mr is still 30. Its just that some server can not maintain 30.

Unstable servers do a lot more damage then folk think.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know there's been attempts with it in with some nsl servers, but i'm not sure of the results. Just assuming since there are none anymore as far as i am aware, that it wasn't that beneficial or had other issues
    Its really not worth it.
    The increase in cpu needs so much stronger hardware, the chance that the server will be unstable is high.

Most people mistake the tickrate for the main loop. The main loop is much higher.
    Slightly and sparingly boosting SR and MR can help in certain areas, but id suggest to read the manual rather then me repeating it here. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Increasing the sendrate while lowering the interp is going to have the largest impact on the feeling of responsiveness in game.
    But adjusting those requires adhering to an equation involving all of the settings, tickrate, mr, sendrate, and interp (probably not bwlimit anymore since that's been increased already by default)

It's also going to absolutely be demanding on your server CPU, and there is no warning if you set the values incorrectly, so I recommend following the guidelines of the server manual and then watching the performance carefully.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Its really not worth it.
    The increase in cpu needs so much stronger hardware, the chance that the server will be unstable is high.

Most people mistake the tickrate for the main loop. The main loop is much higher.
    Slightly and sparingly boosting SR and MR can help in certain areas, but id suggest to read the manual rather then me repeating it here. :)
    But why do some servers( with higher playercounts) run at lower tickrate if it wasn't for a performance gain, at the cost of something. This is not consistent.
    you misunderstand. Any higher rate takes a hit on performance. So higher tick is higher cpu load.
    What I mean is that a higher tick is not beneficial on its own.

Lower tick will definitely lower the cpu load, which is why high slot servers have lower tick.
    That works because tick limits sendrate, for example, so if you keep it higher then the default sr (which is 20) you can lower it without to much risk.