Update 295 Released! - Natural Selection 2

135678

Comments

  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United KingdomMembers, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Posts: 210 Fully active user
    edited April 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    However, the entire team are long-time NS veterans from ... comp play.

    Hmm, rantology and... oh right.

    Post edited by Cr4zyb4st4rd on
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master AustraliaMembers, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Posts: 1,364 Advanced user
    I agree @Obraxis I am a huge long time NS fan. Sure I have not played the last few years and a major reason of that was because the one thing I loved about NS did not go cross over to NS 2 which was length of games and the traditional kharaa play style with gorge building with a capture the flag turret defense style game. Player retention of important. I don't want to see NS die, but I also hope that in time more of what made NS fun eventually makes a return in some shape or form in either NS2 or later.

    These changes are a step towards gaining new players, but hopefully there is aim to try and bring back some of the old players too.
    lerking around, gorging on all your food then skulking away.
    My Art
    aka - Khaidu
    FrozenKouji_Sanrebirth
  • FoxyFoxy United KingdomMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Posts: 470 Advanced user
    @Cr4zyb4st4rd some key words seemed to have dropped out of your quote, but don't worry bro, I got your back!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Members Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Posts: 571 Advanced user
    Obraxis wrote: »
    However, the entire team are long-time NS veterans from both pub and comp play.

    Hmm, rantology and... oh right.

    And every steam employee plays Counter Strike competitively perhaps ?

    Alite wrote: »
    the PDT doesn't seem to have the interests of the current community at heart, they want to attract new players and retain them, so they'll do anything it takes to do that, current players be damned.

    Many people will disagree, but the PDT's actions have pretty much demonstrated this.

    That's a bit extreme, after all they did fix the browser filter issue, they also listen to medpack feedbacks.
    If they "just wanted just attract new players" NS2 would be free to play.
    FoxyIronHorse
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United KingdomMembers, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Posts: 210 Fully active user
    edited April 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    However, the entire team are long-time NS veterans from ... comp play.

    Hmm, rantology and... oh right.
    Foxy wrote: »
    @Cr4zyb4st4rd some key words seemed to have dropped out of your quote, but don't worry bro, I got your back!

    Hi let me educate you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
    the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within but not at the end of a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipses: one uses three dots for any omission,

    So ill leave my post as originally posted.
    And every steam employee plays Counter Strike competitively perhaps ?

    Not the same game and not what the quote even refers to...
  • FoxyFoxy United KingdomMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Posts: 470 Advanced user
    Hi let me educate you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
    the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within but not at the end of a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipses: one uses three dots for any omission,

    So ill leave my post as originally posted.

    Hilarious. The lede of that very article explains the rules around using ellipses. But I'm noticing a pattern here...

    Anyway let me educate you instead.
    ... that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

    Dropping the 'from pub and' to make it seem like Obraxis implied the entire team are comp veterans? Yeah. you get the idea.

  • VetinariVetinari Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Posts: 3,469 Advanced user
    Obraxis wrote: »
    The changes we make will NOT be liked by all. We know that. We don't always agree ourselves. But you can't please a playerbase who have been playing the same game for so long, and who have been able to mod the game so much.

    It's also hard to satisfy a playerbase that gets into arguments about something as minor as a ragdoll dissolve timer. I have sympathy for you.

    This might be due to the frequent, smaller updates, though. I think if you bundled these changes and put them together in a bigger update, people wouldn't complain about individual features nearly as much.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

    I am good Onos
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Posts: 920 mod
    +1 accepting we'll not please everyone. +1 frequent updates. +1 adjusting.
    TGNS Portal | NS2 side-by-side game viewer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    TG's win or lose mod that replaces the concede function is the best of both worlds and should be official.
  • AeglosAeglos Members Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Posts: 644 Advanced user
    2cough wrote: »
    while I don't notice the rag doll changes as I've already had them set to disappear immediately in ns2+ for as long as i can remember having the option, I'm not sure why a slider wasn't introduced into vanilla as it had already been in aforementioned ns2+.

    I call bullshit.
  • YojimboYojimbo EnglandMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Posts: 1,252 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    while I don't notice the rag doll changes as I've already had them set to disappear immediately in ns2+ for as long as i can remember having the option, I'm not sure why a slider wasn't introduced into vanilla as it had already been in aforementioned ns2+.

    I call bullshit.

    And the reason for that silly reply was...?

    NS2+ DOES have a option for rag dolls to instant disappear which I also set to enabled however it's rumoured that the option may have recently stopped working? Only @Mendasp really knows about this.

    So replying that he talks shit and hyper linking a post achieved what for you exactly?

    Calm yourself man child self down.
    Today's rookies are tomorrow's vets.

    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

    George Carlin.
  • AeglosAeglos Members Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Posts: 644 Advanced user
    edited April 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    while I don't notice the rag doll changes as I've already had them set to disappear immediately in ns2+ for as long as i can remember having the option, I'm not sure why a slider wasn't introduced into vanilla as it had already been in aforementioned ns2+.

    I call bullshit.

    And the reason for that silly reply was...?

    NS2+ DOES have a option for rag dolls to instant disappear which I also set to enabled however it's rumoured that the option may have recently stopped working? Only @Mendasp really knows about this.

    So replying that he talks **** and hyper linking a post achieved what for you exactly?

    Calm yourself man child self down.

    Its not rumoured. It has been broken for a long time and is very noticeable. Surprised that someone who has it "enabled" hasn't noticed that.

    It does what for me? I don't want any chance of the change reverting and I'm doing my best to prevent it. I'm not giving people the chance to ask the PDT to revert the change because NS2+ already does it.

    p.s. I don't appreciate being talked down to by a shoveller of drivel.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United KingdomMembers, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Posts: 210 Fully active user
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    while I don't notice the rag doll changes as I've already had them set to disappear immediately in ns2+ for as long as i can remember having the option, I'm not sure why a slider wasn't introduced into vanilla as it had already been in aforementioned ns2+.

    I call bullshit.

    And the reason for that silly reply was...?

    NS2+ DOES have a option for rag dolls to instant disappear which I also set to enabled however it's rumoured that the option may have recently stopped working? Only @Mendasp really knows about this.

    So replying that he talks **** and hyper linking a post achieved what for you exactly?

    Calm yourself man child self down.

    That option has not worked properly for ~10 months at least it has been a vanilla bug the entire time, I remember telling Mendasp about it back in August last year.

    And as for my quote changing the meaning, foxy, nope the original meaning is still implied. But hey at least they're veterans of something right, much better than being active players of it. Next they'll be saying they're great developers too!
  • YojimboYojimbo EnglandMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Posts: 1,252 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    while I don't notice the rag doll changes as I've already had them set to disappear immediately in ns2+ for as long as i can remember having the option, I'm not sure why a slider wasn't introduced into vanilla as it had already been in aforementioned ns2+.

    I call bullshit.

    And the reason for that silly reply was...?

    NS2+ DOES have a option for rag dolls to instant disappear which I also set to enabled however it's rumoured that the option may have recently stopped working? Only @Mendasp really knows about this.

    So replying that he talks **** and hyper linking a post achieved what for you exactly?

    Calm yourself man child self down.

    Its not rumoured. It has been broken for a long time and is very noticeable. Surprised that someone who has it "enabled" hasn't noticed that.

    It does what for me? I don't want any chance of the change reverting and I'm doing my best to prevent it. I'm not giving people the chance to ask the PDT to revert the change because NS2+ already does it.

    p.s. I don't appreciate being talked down to by a shoveller of drivel.

    Well I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
    p.s. I don't appreciate being talked down to by a shoveller of drivel.

    I've been called worse things by better people
    Today's rookies are tomorrow's vets.

    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

    George Carlin.
  • AeglosAeglos Members Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Posts: 644 Advanced user
    Here, lets be very clear. It is impossible to not notice this change, especially if you have it has bothered you enough previously for you to enable instant ragdoll dissolve in NS2+. Claiming otherwise is just dishonest. I don't see how I am wrong. What is wrong is your repeating that lie with claims of "rumoured" and "recent".

    I'm not sure what purpose there is in letting us know that others share a low opinion of yourself?
    Foxy
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Members Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Posts: 571 Advanced user
    edited April 2016
    But hey at least they're veterans of something right, much better than being active players of it.

    My Quality Assurance achievement disagrees. :D

  • YojimboYojimbo EnglandMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Posts: 1,252 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Here, lets be very clear. It is impossible to not notice this change, especially if you have it has bothered you enough previously for you to enable instant ragdoll dissolve in NS2+. Claiming otherwise is just dishonest. I don't see how I am wrong. What is wrong is your repeating that lie with claims of "rumoured" and "recent".

    I'm not sure what purpose there is in letting us know that others share a low opinion of yourself?

    Let me be very clear, August wasn't that long ago and ragdolls are not THAT noticeable particularly if you do not even care for the feature anyways, @2cough may have simply slipped up it's an easy mistake to make, to claim that he talks shit is uncalled for completely, you could of simply corrected him but proceeded to be smug fellow keyboard warrior.

    Its not what you say but how you say it, remember that Aeglos. Was you bullied? Its not nice when people bite back is it, let's leave it at that before moderators chime in.

    Today's rookies are tomorrow's vets.

    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

    George Carlin.
    RevanCorana
  • dePARAdePARA Members, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    I think we see the problems of a community driven game right now.
    While the players are splittet in different communitys, they fight each other cause every community is thinking THEY are right.

    Comp players vs Pub
    Server A vs Server B

    Aslong the game had enough players to please every of these communitys everything was fine, but now with current low playerbase this become obvious.

    So instead of thanking the Dev-Team for trying to keeping the game alive and trying ideas to adress issues new players might have, the typical ringleaders popping out of nowhere.

    There is only one comp-player in the Dev-team? who cares
    - No new players, no compscene in the near future.
    One player cant make screenshot of dead aliens anymore? Who cares
    - WTF, really

    Its just amazing that all the vets here who complaining about bullshit cant see the goal of the dev-team.
    image
  • AeglosAeglos Members Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Posts: 644 Advanced user
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Here, lets be very clear. It is impossible to not notice this change, especially if you have it has bothered you enough previously for you to enable instant ragdoll dissolve in NS2+. Claiming otherwise is just dishonest. I don't see how I am wrong. What is wrong is your repeating that lie with claims of "rumoured" and "recent".

    I'm not sure what purpose there is in letting us know that others share a low opinion of yourself?

    Let me be very clear, August wasn't that long ago and ragdolls are not THAT noticeable particularly if you do not even care for the feature anyways, @2cough may have simply slipped up it's an easy mistake to make, to claim that he talks **** is uncalled for completely, you could of simply corrected him but proceeded to be smug fellow keyboard warrior.

    Its not what you say but how you say it, remember that Aeglos. Was you bullied? Its not nice when people bite back is it, let's leave it at that before moderators chime in.

    Over half a year isn't that long ago? I know the length of time recent refers to depends on context, but I'd really like to know just how far you define recent in this case. Not that noticeable? There is an immediate difference as evidenced by the outrage in this thread. And if you turned the option on, I would think you care a lot for the feature. Anyway, I see where our difference lie. You think it was a mistake, to me its dishonesty.

    And please, don't try to take the high ground when you started the name calling and are continuing with it in the very same post.
  • WakeWake Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Posts: 723 Advanced user
    ? There is no argument in saying I like this, not that. It's just a statement.

    @Obraxis : I think we all are aware of your dedication

    btw, the enemy is stupid, he thinks we are the enemy while he his.
    Freak out
  • BicsumBicsum Members, Reinforced - Gold Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Posts: 1,014 Advanced user
    edited April 2016
    Is it possible, that NS2 now renames my Steam account?! ... seriously?!
    Your nickname in NS2 will now automatically update with changes to your Steam name (this can be disabled from the options menu, under General -> Keep Same As Steam)

    ;)
  • woozawooza SwitzerlandMembers, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Posts: 171 Fully active user
    I wonder how many new players give the PDT directly feedback for the changes. If these are all done for the player retention and new players, then the playtesters must be full of greenies giving you suggestions right?
  • dePARAdePARA Members, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    @wooza
    And you got feedback from every new player that disliked the way NS2 was played and performed on your server?


    image
  • woozawooza SwitzerlandMembers, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Posts: 171 Fully active user
    @dePARA, no these players simply choose another server / community. I don't need to convince them to play on my servers. If you would know me, I never said that ns2 is how I and others are playing are the way it is meant to be played. I suggest everyone to try all the different servers / game modes. And it works. People choose to play where they want. If you want the ultimate proof that you are right and me and my servers bring rookies to deinstall the game, then please download the hive database and check how many new players have only played on my servers and then no longer. Even then it is not really clear why they stopped, but we can assume they quit because of the bad performance

    @Zavaro How come then that from begininng the 12th of April the playerbase dropped drastically and many people giving you feedback about what they don't like. Yet you ignore these voices. Hell even rookies or players that never used the forums registered now to give their opinion.

    The PDT is killing NS2. Some changes are silly and not requested, neither from regs nor from rookies.
    Bobby_WasabiDrNo
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    wooza wrote: »
    @Zavaro How come then that from begininng the 12th of April the playerbase dropped drastically and many people giving you feedback about what they don't like. Yet you ignore these voices. Hell even rookies or players that never used the forums registered now to give their opinion.

    I haven't noticed any "drastic drop" in the playerbase.. If anything it seems like there are more populated servers now than there were a couple months ago.

    In fact if player numbers have gone down it's more likely due to this time of year than any updates.

    Please show this "drastic drop" in players since the 12th. I'd like to see where you're getting your info from because in all honesty it seems like you're still just upset and whining about the changes to the browser.
  • woozawooza SwitzerlandMembers, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Posts: 171 Fully active user
  • dePARAdePARA Members, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Posts: 1,351 Advanced user
    @wooza
    I can tell you why the playerbase has dropped a bit.
    Cause your community is on strike (isnt your server down atm? ) and try to blackmail the devs with exact this.
    "Oh look, the average playerbase is going down by 30. This is "proof" that the changes didnt help in player retention of new players.

    Well, im sure your coordinate this strike on discord and thats the reason for no proof.
    image
Sign In or Register to comment.