Subnautica Multiplayer: When, if, how, and why. - Subnautica

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Aegil wrote: »
    Can I just chime in with this? While I think that a version with 2 player co-op could be fun (and the survival pods seem to be built for 2 people), I hate the idea that multiplayer is the way to go and should be the developers main priority.
    jkflipflop wrote: »
    You're idiots for not making co-op your #1 priority. How many people have to beg you for this daily before you get the hint?
    I know that I'm not alone in preferring solo play. (No, I'm not anti-social. If I want a multiplayer game I have some friends come around and we break out the gaming books and roll some dice. :p) So many potentially great games have been ruined by the push towards multiplayer functionality that I've come to despise it. If you like multiplayer, awesome. The point of games is to enjoy yourself. But please, please stop insisting that this game should have it. It's a survival game where the key gameplay challenges are acquiring and processing resources towards the goal of survival. And having more than one survivor dramatically increases your chance of survival, as it allows each individual to specialize.

Yes, I started this comment with the statement that multiplayer could be fun. But I applaud the dev team's decision to focus on first releasing a functioning, polished and enjoyable single-player survival game, with the option of developing multiplayer functionality later.

I totally agree with you. There are more important things to focus on than multiplayer. And IF the devs suddenly decide to add multiplayer, it shouldn't be manditory. It shouldn't stop people from playing singleplayer if they want to.
  • SyronymSyronym Germany Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214987Members
    Would it not take much longer to finish the singleplayer and implement then the co-op, because every new things you guys are adding need to be changed for multiplayer. But if you got multiplayer first you can programm all new things for the multiplayer and you dont have to change them.

It was only a point I was thinking about.
    Tell me if I´m wrong.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Syronym wrote: »
    Would it not take much longer to finish the singleplayer and implement then the co-op, because every new things you guys are adding need to be changed for multiplayer. But if you got multiplayer first you can programm all new things for the multiplayer and you dont have to change them.

Tell me if I´m wrong.

in terms of assets (digital art, icons, lighting etc) they'll 'port directly over to MP
    in terms of programming, I expect only things like the cyclops, bases, lockers, fabricator etc to require reprogramming and hopefully not too much for inventoryand manufacturing stations (if player is accessing, lock other players out)
    in terms of balance EVERYTHING will need re-doing and you can either double your balance workload in singleplayer OR multiplayer by trying to balance for both at once (having a second person in a survival game makes a HUGE difference), or you can just balance for singleplayer when you're working on singleplayer and rebalance stats for multiplayer when you work on multi-player (or vice-versa)
  • subnautica4lifesubnautica4life united states Join Date: 2015-07-11 Member: 206106Members
    If the devs do add co-op it would make sense because there are hints of other survivors. So most likely in the future when there is more content.
  • ThehipstergoronThehipstergoron Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215032Members

Tell me if I´m wrong.

Honestly I agree with Syronym... I think it would honestly be worth the wait for co-op and wouldnt care if we dont see updates for a while like say a month or so.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    Some of the behavior I see toward the Devs on this topic, both here and elsewhere, is appalling. Do people honestly think insults and curses will get the Devs to do anything but wash their hands of it? They actually talk to us and listen to us, but that does not mean they have to listen to everything people want. They are not obligated to change or add anything, no matter how many people want x, y, or z feature. I keep waiting for them to give up at this point, but they've been super patient despite the ugliness.

Respect what they're doing, and respect their decisions. You don't have to like it, but patience and respect can go a long way.
    This is one of the very few early access games that I have purchased and the primary reason was that I could see that the developers are actually engaged with the community that surround their game, creating a sense of assurance that this game will be finished and properly polished instead of being left abandoned and half-finished.

• Jordan115Jordan115 Australia Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212480Members
    It been 8 months. Come on guys. I will only buy this game when were is coop or multiplayer. Me and my friends are waiting.
  • Jordan115Jordan115 Australia Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212480Members
    It been 8 months. Come on guys. I will only buy this game when were is coop or multiplayer. Me and my friends are waiting.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Jordan115 wrote: »

im affraid that you and your friends will still be waiting for a long while to come then cuz implementing a coop/multiplayer feature would require several months and their position on this subject have not changed it seems as we've heard no official update from them.
  • TyralionTyralion Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9522Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Honestly I agree with Syronym... I think it would honestly be worth the wait for co-op and wouldnt care if we dont see updates for a while like say a month or so.

Did you not read the post that you're commenting on? We're not talking about "a month or so", as evidenced by the quote from Charlie: "adding it would take us many months of work."
  • MerlinrMerlinr Texas Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215365Members
    edited April 2016
    Well, instead of starting over with existing game, perhaps you create a separate game with multi-player from the beginning kind of like they did with Don't Start together. I'm sure you could use a lot of the existing assets, etc.

Sure it would take long time, but I for one am more than willing to wait and would definitely donate to an early access or funding push.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    But Multiplayer would take our whole team around 6 months to a year of work, just for some perspective.

Straight from one of the Devs, guys. 6 months to a year and I would lean more toward a year because things happen and bugs are likely to be introduced that would need fixing.

As I said in my earlier post, that ship has sailed. I'd much rather see the game continue development and release. Programming for a game like this isn't as simple as dropping a few extra if else statements. It's complicated, it's time consuming, and no matter how careful you are, code is going to break or behave oddly.

At this point it'd be much better for the game to release and then use the sales to possibly fund a multiplayer expansion. Possibly. The devs have made no promises, and continue not to. A lot of you wanting this may be setting yourself up for a massive let down.
  • Yama1291Yama1291 Switzerland Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203630Members
    IMHO you should have gone with the multipayer approach from the very beginning.
  • indiemadnessindiemadness Denmark Join Date: 2016-04-18 Member: 215903Members
    Multiplayer to this game is a MUST. Do we ned to have the Cylops on a mulitplayer map NO not at all.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    edited April 2016
    Seriously? Look it's not coming any time soon, if at all. We've stuck a fork in it, it's done. Continuing claims that Subnautica "must" have multiplayer will not change that. If you're that hard up for multiplayer survival, then play one of the thousand (it's called hyperbole, look it up) multi-player survival games and leave this one alone! Some of us LIKE single-player focus. Some of us don't WANT the concessions that inevitably come with multi-player functionality. Some of us enjoy THIS game, that rare and precious gem in a ever increasing glut of boring, tedious multi-player focused games, the SINGLE-PLAYER survival game.

Thanks to the way steam does things, you often won't SEE that Single-player is one of the tags on the game, but it's there, trust me.
  • TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    edited April 2016
    So is the Multiplayer map going to be bigger? Is it going to be before during or after Subnautica?
  • Ohio_RockstarOhio_Rockstar USA Join Date: 2015-03-09 Member: 201863Members
    edited April 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    paradine wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't do multi-player now. All it would take is to have the option added to the main menu so that (a) we host the game, or (b) we join the game.

If only it were as simple as adding a couple options to the main menu :wink:

Adding Co-Op or multiplayer is not simple, at all. It would require months of work. We want it to happen, but it would mean we basically stop working on the game right now, and do co-op for months. Currently we'd much rather make a great game first, then see if it's feasible for co-op to happen. That being said, most of us on the team want it to happen. We just can't promise it right now.

AWESOME!
    (I agree. You should make a great game before dedicating hours to doing Co-Op.
    (when its ready) Save some time and money and skip dedicated servers and just do the P2P lan.

Much Love and great work thus far. By far One-of-the-best Dev teams I have seen in a long time!
  • MonkeyCMonkyDoMonkeyCMonkyDo England Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216847Members
    Hey everyone,

I'm brand new around here :) So very excitedly been watching this game and am hyped to see it release today on XB1 (Possibly a terrible launch window as ARK is launching a second map today which is unfortunate.)

No coop is a shame but will only delay sales until a launch of it, then will likely see much higher sales as people like me talk all their friends into buying an amazing and polished/near finished game.

I have a lot of respect for game devs that will be so open and honest with us gamers, so many thanks for that :) Keep up the amazing looking work, very excited to try this game and see it move from strength to strength.

<3
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Thanks for posting this article. You pretty much laid out what I was assuming was the case with the "will there ever be Subnautica multiplayer" question.

In any case, I'm excited to see where this game goes and what features are developed going forward. I'm a huge fan of the experience already in the game and can't wait for more!

They can do it but if they ever do everyone better stop complaing about thier being less major updates cause that would take awhile
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    I think around V1.5 Multiplay will start...
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    I think they should start with muliplayer and have a another group of devs working on that :)
  • Sevro_WaterlowSevro_Waterlow Avalon Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217119Members
    Jordan115 wrote: »

how about you shut your fucking mouth cunt
  • Sevro_WaterlowSevro_Waterlow Avalon Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217119Members

Tell me if I´m wrong.

as they said it would take the whole team six months
    I dont think people are seeing the point, crashing on an oceanic planet is SUPPOSED to be lonely, at least, for me anyway, coop would down tone the isolation, although it may be fun, too many games nowadays have multiplayer
  • CentralProcessingCatCentralProcessingCat United States Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217879Members
    I dont think people are seeing the point, crashing on an oceanic planet is SUPPOSED to be lonely, at least, for me anyway, coop would down tone the isolation, although it may be fun, too many games nowadays have multiplayer

They never said that they wern't getting rid of the SP experience. If you don't want to play co-op then don't play co-op. That simple.
  • darng97darng97 Singapore Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217909Members
    Petition for Multiplayer! I wanna see how many people are interested in subnautica multiplayer(maybe the developers wanna know too!)
  • MelinityMelinity Macomb Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217752Members
    is terraformer leaving computer for mp or is it just xbox?
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    jakub17 wrote: »
    I bought subnautica in the hope that it will be multiplayer and play with my best fellow who bought it for the same reason, please do not make me and my friend to buy subnautice from scratch just for multiplayer

That's my fear
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    edited June 2016
    Mikerosoft wrote: »
    i thnik it woud be like "The Forest" multiplayer bugy and not really beable to play!

Did you forget the team that created this game is Unknown Worlds?
This discussion has been closed.