Update 294 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2016
    rantology wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    ermagerd

There is more to it than that ;P not ready to discuss specifics quite yet until we are in a position to actually make/test changes for this- so far it's just an item on a list we'd like to get to. You can feel free to PM me on discord and I can explain further if you must know!

Maybe just post here for everyone to read why you think Fades should get nerfed?
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Ots wrote: »
    @Locklear, did you lose as many brain cells creating that post as i did reading it?

hopefully you have some left over after reading such a brain zapping post
    I'm fortunate that weekend is approaching and i can recharge my brain capacity once more, if you could please refrain on causing me more harm until next week. Thanks :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    rantology wrote: »
    ermagerd

There is more to it than that ;P not ready to discuss specifics quite yet until we are in a position to actually make/test changes for this- so far it's just an item on a list we'd like to get to. You can feel free to PM me on discord and I can explain further if you must know!

Considering that huge issues with the new meds were initially shrugged off by the people in charge of putting through these changes until I made sure everyone was aware of them, I think it is most definitely in the interests of the dev team to open balance issues up to public discourse.

There is the continuing feeling that the mechanical balance of the game is only tenuously grasped by most of the current devs.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

Considering that huge issues with the new meds were initially shrugged off by the people in charge of putting through these changes until I made sure everyone was aware of them, I think it is most definitely in the interests of the dev team to open balance issues up to public discourse.

There is the continuing feeling that the mechanical balance of the game is only tenuously grasped by most of the current devs.

I feel like this is quite an exaggeration? Nothing was shrugged off, as a matter of fact we were listening very closely to any and all feedback we were getting about them and making changes accordingly.

And what I mean by my previous comments is that I don't want to get everyone all excited and theory crafting about something that I don't know when we'll be able to do (like the "simplify ns2" thread). Balance discussion will always be open- I just want to save conversation until we know we'll be working on something.
  • neooneoo amsterdam Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215695Members
    Rantology, why are you not replying? Why is the filter always reset to ns2, and servers ignored? Why is my filter not being stored? Why are my fav servers filtered out? The community is already small enough. Why reduce it? Is there an end goal in mind to reduce it as much as possible?
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    neoo wrote: »
    Rantology, why are you not replying? Why is the filter always reset to ns2, and servers ignored? Why is my filter not being stored? Why are my fav servers filtered out? The community is already small enough. Why reduce it? Is there an end goal in mind to reduce it as much as possible?

It's called a 'duck feature'. Used to cover the real gameplay changes.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i get the feeling that this change to medpacks should have been a compmod change and not a change affecting all servers, UWE should invest in a compmod style game mode for those that play at that level.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    i get the feeling that this change to medpacks should have been a compmod change and not a change affecting all servers, UWE should invest in a compmod style game mode for those that play at that level.

Its this kind of thinking that keeps NS2 right where it is, stale, boring, indifferent.

If we agree to this mentality where does it stop at one? When do we decided whats worth keeping and whats worth throwing out.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    I want arcs, that shoot bees
    and the exo rocket fist

but we cant have everything :(
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    Loki wrote: »
    exo rocket fist

OMG that would be so amazing! Have it be attached by a chain so you can retract and fire it again too!

I want to be able to place tunnels on walls! :D

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Loki wrote: »
    exo rocket fist

OMG that would be so amazing! Have it be attached by a chain so you can retract and fire it again too!

I want to be able to place tunnels on walls! :D
    DeuCy9A.png
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Me think wOOza just tested the rocket fist sniping ...
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Its this kind of thinking that keeps NS2 right where it is, stale, boring, indifferent.

If we agree to this mentality where does it stop at one? When do we decided whats worth keeping and whats worth throwing out.

i would love to see new content for ns2, but i have finally come to the realization that aside from maps and tweaks to gameplay we will never get anything that would cost uwe any serious investment. They made the community pay for the last content patch through donations ......
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yojimbo wrote: »

i would love to see new content for ns2, but i have finally come to the realization that aside from maps and tweaks to gameplay we will never get anything that would cost uwe any serious investment. They made the community pay for the last content patch through donations ......

Well, yes, the game is several years old now. It's frankly amazing we still get frequent updates at all. Expecting them to sink huge amounts of money into a small community is just entitled.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This is the wrong way. The best thing would be if vanilla would be good enough so that comp play would not need its own mod, do not seperate it even more.

Also I would still like to hear why devs think fades need a nerf @rantology
    Should we punish fades for not dying???
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ...The exception of gorges, which now have devour and can continually devour marines and structures to extend their lifetime....

I can already hear it.

"Why can't we get any harvesters up?"
    "We have too many Gorges."
    "So what?"
    "They keep on eating them."

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eating a Marine should also increase the amount of babbler eggs you can spawn. Yoshiiiii
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So if we're still on topic about medpacks, I typed this up for the large playercount thread but I think it is worth mentioning it here as well since it's more likely to be read and/or responded to in this thread.
    Calego wrote: »
    I'm just impressed that a UI change is getting more attention than the blatantly game-changing medpacks. Our community is indeed special.

The medpack change doesn't matter to people who play on large or casual servers anyways, the cost to med your team increases the more players there are due to the single person single use nature of a medpack, medpacks or healing your team in general would probably be used more if it was changed to be an area heal or if multiple marines could use a dropped medkit.

As it is right now, it's more cost efficient to just drop an armory next to chokepoints than it is to try investing meds on the average pub in a casual game, which is why you often get rounds where the commander tries healing for the first minute and doesn't do it for the rest of the game.

It's just one of the things that doesn't scale well regardless of playercount, if you balance it for 6v6 it's still going to cost more for 12v12.

This sums up my usual experience in public games as I've rarely seen commanders drop medpacks for this reason, so I think it's something to look into.
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    The “NS2” gamemode tag is now selected by default at the server browser instead of the “All” tab
    Wow. It took me half an hour to figure out why my favorite server didn't show up in the browser and I could only join through friends.
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I think everyone here is forgetting a key point:

Changes are being made to Natural Selection 2 in order to help new players.

Everyone who knows the game, and plays on Wooza's, knows how to change server filters. Chances are it's already in your favourites. If not, it should be.
    It is favourited, but it wasn't showing because it is filtered out.
    Why should I think that a filter got changed by an update? Why does an update change my configuration? It is like rebinding the W key to up arrow - becaues it might be more intuitive for new players... EVERYTIME. If it was the initial value after one installs the game I would understand your point but why change it for existing players and resetting it?
    Everyone who doesn't know the game is going to see a server browser to begin with showing a true representation of the game - UWE's stance to set this filter proves what they want the game to be.
    You would have a point if it wasn't for all the thousand mods on the "NS2" servers that you are downloading when you join. All these change the game experience from the "original" but do not change the server type. Then these server should all be flagged as "modded" and filtered out as well.
    Once people play a little more, they are free to play about with the server browser, and discover new game modes. That's not a problem.
    True but at what cost? Putting off the existing players?

edited April 2016
    Bollwerk wrote: »
    The “NS2” gamemode tag is now selected by default at the server browser instead of the “All” tab
    Wow. It took me half an hour to figure out why my favorite server didn't show up in the browser and I could only join through friends.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how it would take anyone a half hour to realize that their server is behind a filter.

When I fired up the game after this change, it literally only took me 2 seconds to realize why my favorite servers we're no longer showing up.

How can there supposedly be so many people who have no understanding of how to use a server browser.

Maybe that is what we really need a tutorial for.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oh, oh I can play that game too :trollface:

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how it would take anyone even one second to realize you should not hide mods behind a badly implemented filter*

*while a proper server browser is in the works
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how it would take anyone a half hour to realize that their server is behind a filter.

When I fired up the game after this change, it literally only took me 2 seconds to realize why my favorite servers we're no longer showing up.

How can there supposedly be so many people who have no understanding of how to use a server browser.

Because not everyone reads changelogs and that the denomination NS2 in the server browser is super confusing? It's not that obvious for everyone that large servers are not NS2 servers according to the game.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    All this cry about servers which was hacked, Devs renamed them as a ns2Large mod(which no1 complaint), and now you have to search for different gamemodes is so sad. Good change! Keep ns2 as a vanilla gameplay-wise and modded games as a mods.
    edited April 2016
    Pelargir wrote: »

Because not everyone reads changelogs and that the denomination NS2 in the server browser is super confusing? It's not that obvious for everyone that large servers are not NS2 servers according to the game.

I didn't read the patch notes before playing after the patch release.. Yet I still realized the change in 2 seconds and was able to find all my favorite servers with just one click.

The server browser isn't confusing at all to be honest.. And it should be obvious to everyone that large isn't normal NS2.. (After all how long was that pop up there?)

It should especially be obvious if wooza was never down before this change like they claim (something i find hard to believe but whatever)

If you want an example of a truly bad server browser where things are actually "hidden" i point to MW3... Just be glad the devs didn't make it so you have to enable seeing NS2large servers somewhere in the options menu...
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    so uh.....about this patch,,, you cant see ALL the servers, unless you click all, which is not exactly intuitive to tell that its been selected,
    was wondering why there were only 3 servers on (all full others empty) until i realized i now have to click ALL everytime i log on... thats not really a cool change at all,
    if you were a new player you would have taken one look and thought "Dead game"

just worth mentioning
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    made my post be4 i realized it was already being discussed, and No you can't just hide behind ANYONE COULD HAVE NOTICED,
    just like everyone else here seems to like to pretend that everything about NS2 is incredible intuitive and easy to learn in a game if immensely high skill ceiling.
    ...thats not the case. lol :P
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    was wondering why there were only 3 servers on (all full others empty)
    I think "Empty" filter is not on by default for new players. Thats one of your personal settings that is persisting. I'm pretty sure the tab choice will also be persisted in a future patch.
    if you were a new player you would have taken one look and thought "Dead game"
    Going to the "All" tab will show roughly an additional 10 servers of which 9 are empty most of the time.