Concentration of energies, time and passion

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
This poll will have no subtle word play, no attempt of swaying votes, just plain, honest and simple opinion of where would YOU like UWE's, PDT's and the communities energy, time and passion invested in?

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm, maybe I get a mod to edit in a third option "I don't know / other (Please list reason if other)".
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Can't answer that. I want UWE to finish Subnautica and then potentially switch to other products such as NS3 but I also want the PDT to stick with NS2. Not sure the PDT has the skills to develop a whole new game anyway.
    Exactly.
    Either way, I'm not sure UWE is yet even in a position to do NS3 justice due to to a multitude of factors. We're really only JUST starting to truly see what the dev team is capable of within NS2
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I think NS2 is as good as it's going to get.

I got almost 700 hours in the game, played scrims and gathers, watched the championships and posted in the forums, and still play it frequently now - but it's not the same game as I once enjoyed.

I would love an NS3, built on a better engine, taking everything that's been learned from NS2 and improving on it in every way.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I think NS2 is as good as it's going to get.

I got almost 700 hours in the game, played scrims and gathers, watched the championships and posted in the forums, and still play it frequently now - but it's not the same game as I once enjoyed.

I would love an NS3, built on a better engine, taking everything that's been learned from NS2 and improving on it in every way.

Yes, if UWE was to ever consider NS3, release it with a fully working tutorial first, this is paramount, the same mistakes cannot be made again!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As someone who purchased the alpha and every dlc including shadow tier but still find NS2 unable to live up to the expectations of being an ns1 vet, I'd doubt I'd purchase NS3 at all.

I've spent more time bickering in these forums than I have enjoying the game, the initial performance, the terrible mod support, the lack of maps, the core gameplay changes, the harsh server playercount restrictions when I used to only play 32 player slot servers in ns1, and of course the dwindling and imbalanced skill wise remaining community that makes it hard to casually achieve a "good game."

If NS1 was the reason for my unending dedication to NS2, then NS2 as it is right now will be the reason why I won't support NS3.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As someone who purchased the alpha and every dlc including shadow tier but still find NS2 unable to live up to the expectations of being an ns1 vet, I'd doubt I'd purchase NS3 at all.

I've spent more time bickering in these forums than I have enjoying the game, the initial performance, the terrible mod support, the lack of maps, the core gameplay changes, the harsh server playercount restrictions when I used to only play 32 player slot servers in ns1, and of course the dwindling and imbalanced skill wise remaining community that makes it hard to casually achieve a "good game."

If NS1 was the reason for my unending dedication to NS2, then NS2 as it is right now will be the reason why I won't support NS3.

If you don't play the game, don't like it then why would you spend more money and keep bickering? No one is making you play, uwe clearly messed up with many things in making ns2, it sucks but it happens. There's plenty of good games out there but i do think you summarize many players feelings about ns2. This is why you don't pre order games. I can only hope uwe actually learn from there mistakes and if they do make an ns3 to not fuck it up, all i'd want from ns3 is better net code + more comp scene support. But there is no way i would pre order Ns3, but sitting on the forums saying you won't ever buy it, they won't ever listen to you, in the end money speaks.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    am still making maps ! @IeptBarakat it just takes time
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Loki wrote: »

Who are you?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    migalski wrote: »
    If you don't play the game, don't like it then why would you spend more money and keep bickering? No one is making you play, uwe clearly messed up with many things in making ns2, it sucks but it happens.

I stick around and provide monetary/ideas guy support because despite all the shortcomings the game has, I think (potentially naively) that it can still become the game I hoped for when I pre-ordered 6-7 years ago. Of course that's just me and no one should feel obliged nor should I expect for everyone to cater to my every whims of making the game NS1HD.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Not sure the PDT has the skills to develop a whole new game anyway.

Your words hurt. :wink:
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I feel that sequels is the way developers can lock in features while still working on new things. NS2 has received a lot of tweaks over the years, most of which have eroded what made the game interesting and fun to play (for me). Add in the core engine changes making it near impossible to go back to the older versions I'm pretty sad about that.

A sequel such as NS3 would have been the smarter way of trying new features while not removing or breaking NS2 gameplay. Yeah it would "split" the community but I would rather have had that than have the game I enjoy playing be tweaked to something I no longer enjoy.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I picked ns2 for simple reasons..

1) I fear that if/when they make NS3 they will go the route of matchmaking like so many other new games.. Which will make it unplayable for me.

2) I worry that if/when they make NS3 it will be an unoptimized mess in the beginning like NS2 was..

3) I want to see improvements to NS2 to keep it alive. Mainly hive2.0 and more maps/lifeforms/weapons/upgrades/etc.

4) I don't want to wait years while they create NS3.. They should keep the PDT working on NS2 while they have others working on NS3..
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Not sure the PDT has the skills to develop a whole new game anyway.

Your words hurt. :wink:

You're not saying you disagree with me. :p
    MoFo1 wrote: »

1) I fear that if/when they make NS3 they will go the route of matchmaking like so many other new games.. Which will make it unplayable for me.

2) I worry that if/when they make NS3 it will be an unoptimized mess in the beginning like NS2 was..

3) I want to see improvements to NS2 to keep it alive. Mainly hive2.0 and more maps/lifeforms/weapons/upgrades/etc.

4) I don't want to wait years while they create NS3.. They should keep the PDT working on NS2 while they have others working on NS3..

1) Matchmaking for competitive 6vs6 (just like CSGO) AND server browser would remedy this.

2) Well the whole idea is for UWE to learn from the mistakes made with NS2, what's the saying? "Only a fool makes the same mistake twice".

3) These are all coming regardless.

4) This would be the most sensible option to take, which could potentially become reality if a kickstarter fund is created, these seem to be all the rage nowdays anyways, see https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
    Hope you are seeing this @Hugh @Flayra :smiley: We would be happy to kickstart NS3 some point in the future if you need da monies!
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Natural selection 3, and start a Kickstarter, and use the funds from subnautica after it's done.

1st step. Get a Community Manager.
    2. Use UE4 Engine which is not licensed and open source
    3. Enjoy Life & NS3
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

The community would probably go ballistic (again) if there was only matchmaking. I can't imagine they'd go without a server browser at all.
    I voted other/ns3.

NS2 is a good game, but the stigma surounding it from so many players haveing bad experiances will never go away. A huge amount of progress has been made recently, but its just too late, nearly everyone who has ever bought the game will never play it again.

The creation of NS3 will be UWE chance to stand up and say "We screwed up. NS2 was not the sequel NS1 deserved, and the player base sufferd becouse of that, but we have learnt from out mistakes and intend to use all our new knowlage to make the game you deserve". NS3 will be the big chance to start fresh, a new engine, inbuilt tutorial, official game modes (Im looking at you NS2:Combat), everything people want from you.

I have to agree that there's a point here - all these gradual improvements don't bring back players because they never hear of them. Once ns2 is in a really good place, some big event is needed for publicity.

The community would probably go ballistic (again) if there was only matchmaking. I can't imagine they'd go without a server browser at all.
    I voted other/ns3.

NS2 is a good game, but the stigma surounding it from so many players haveing bad experiances will never go away. A huge amount of progress has been made recently, but its just too late, nearly everyone who has ever bought the game will never play it again.

The creation of NS3 will be UWE chance to stand up and say "We screwed up. NS2 was not the sequel NS1 deserved, and the player base sufferd becouse of that, but we have learnt from out mistakes and intend to use all our new knowlage to make the game you deserve". NS3 will be the big chance to start fresh, a new engine, inbuilt tutorial, official game modes (Im looking at you NS2:Combat), everything people want from you.

I have to agree that there's a point here - all these gradual improvements don't bring back players because they never hear of them. Once ns2 is in a really good place, some big event is needed for publicity.

Once it has reached a certain level of new content, features, gameplay, balance changes been added, it would need to be re-released as Natural Selection 2.0, a few games have done this to varying success, otherwise most of this will go unnoticed outside of the community.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    One thing I would like to see from a Natural Selection 3 is a clear direction of the way the game is meant to be played, and therefore balanced:
    • Competitive? So limit player numbers on servers, include match-making, incorporate an ENSL-like system from the outset.
    • Casual? Allow greater freedom for mods, include a server browser, balance the game for higher player number servers.

Can we get both of these things in the same game? Who knows. But if we can't, a stance needs to be taken by UWE, and stuck to.

CS:GO shows exactly how you can have a thriving competitive scene, without people bitching about it always being 6 v 6, or de_dust2 over and over again. Why can't we want that for NS2?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    In NS3 I'd like a new type of match where it is like current 6v6 but with 3 different factions. 6v6v6 :D

Kharaa vs Frontiersement vs something else.. AI robots?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    In NS3 I'd like a new type of match where it is like current 6v6 but with 3 different factions. 6v6v6 :D

Kharaa vs Frontiersement vs something else.. AI robots?

Protoss. You just have to sell your company to blizzard first, but that's a small sacrifice.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Loki wrote: »

Who are you?

quiet you
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    My answer is for the PDT... the PDT should continue to work on and improve NS2... IF UWE decide they want to expand to another project in the future of course I would love to see an NS3... but that is up to them.
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    with the limited availability to ns2, I think a great last effort made to appease the community would be returning NS:Combat to natural selection as a regular UWE supported mod
    maybe support a uwe siege mod,
    and a official UWE mod that bette balances large player server which are very limited in tactics imo due to the economy

and BAM, UWE will have done what could be accomplished by one or two people that are familiar with ns2 modding

and opened up entirely new game modes that have struggled to exist but still have an active audience that WANTS
    it to exist and would be happy to play again. these types of games were/are great ways for newer players to learn NS:2 gameplay and mechanics that are very frustrating to learn (DIEALOT) in the vanilla Natural selection experience.
    .02cents
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    From a modding perspective NS2 and that lackluster Spark engine was a nightmare.
  • GlassesGlasses Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70056Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I would prefer them to make NS3. New engine, 2 gamemodes; classic and current and 24+ Player support on launch.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would only vote for ns3 if it brought back the original playstyle of NS as a game mode.

Realistically though, continuing on developing NS with expansions is not good business for UWE at this present stage, subnautica is going to help them get attention, but they will need to focus on other game projects before considering on updgrading NS again. I just don't see it being a good thing for UWE long term due to not having the same level of popularity as other gaming companies. UWE deserves more popularity, unfortunately focusing on NS won't get them there.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kyliegirl wrote: »
    I would only vote for ns3 if it brought back the original playstyle of NS as a game mode.

Agreed, right after Subnautica is at a good point.

And wow, @kyliegirl is a name I haven't seen popup in many years! I still remember the awesome Gorge sketches you made agessss ago. Welcome back :)