Please Change the Seamoth Steering Back

NoobathonNoobathon NY Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212159Members
I know the new Steering is WIP and may feel cooler for the VR folks as it simulates a head turn before turning but it give me horrible motion sickness. At least give us the option to decide between the old steering and the new one on experimental.

Comments

• KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Agreed x 2!

I find the mouselook really laggy and clumsy compared to a few days ago.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Or just have the new style solely for VR and the old one for PC and console possibly
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited April 2016
    No, it's a top secret strategy to make you feel good when navigating the cyclops:

"Oh, I'm back to the cyclops, thank god. I really got sick driving the seamoth. I really can't see where I go with the cyclops, but at least I won't feel sick anymore. Frustrated maybe when I bang the cyclops against the rocks again and again, but my head feels good."

Ship AI of the cyclops "My drones just restyled the cockpit for you and fastened the pilot controls to the ceiling while docking your foots magnetic. This way you'll be able to look freely down without any risk of punching rocks again (deja vu?). And as you never seem to hit anything when going up, you'll stay free of collisions all the time."

"Won't I get headaches when I see all fish and plants turned upside down?"

AI "Well, there was this motorcycle racing position alternative with a beautiful free view above AND below. But I calculated that you're too fat for that."

"I'll think we need to adjust your metrics a little. And what about the gyroscope option?"

AI "Ah, but you told me so much about hating your head spinning, so it wasn't an option at all."

"Sigh ... at least my head won't spin"

AI "Right captain."

"And I want the last word, you're the servant and have to follow all orders."

AI "Yes, captain."

Noobathon wrote: »
    I know the new Steering is WIP and may feel cooler for the VR folks as it simulates a head turn before turning but it give me horrible motion sickness. At least give us the option to decide between the old steering and the new one on experimental.

Yes, I'd like to have my own choice how to navigate my subs. And a control option for piloting my subs would really be totally awesome.
  • NoobathonNoobathon NY Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212159Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Agreed! It may feel and look awesome while using VR, but without it... it feels clumsy and somewhat sluggish to have the seamoth drag after player's head movement.

And yes, the motion sickness is a problem for me as well there, even though I've never experienced it in games before.

Same, I have never got motion sickness in a game before this seamoth change. Super frustrating as a player.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I can't even use the Seamoth right now. Trying to turn is to slow and difficult, or you turn up the mouse sensitivity and the screen jumps around and stutters making me feel sick tying to look at it. They need 2 separate settings, otherwise I won't ever be able to use the seamoth again.
  • TaiineTaiine CA, USA Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215236Members
    Agree. Let us toggle it. I get motion sickness after just a few minutes to where I had to grab a bucket to sit next to me as I was worried I'd start getting sick. This has made the seamoth unuseable for me.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I thought the old steering was just fine. If it isn't broken, why fix it?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    right now its indeed annoying and i dont like it either. who knows maybe with time ill adjust.
  • project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    Arrr, you scurvy land lubbers just need to find yer sea legs!
    .. and possibly a barf bag.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    I normally don't suffer from motion sickness, but I think that we just found my limit. Back to the seaglide it is, if this stays in the game.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    i haven't even noticed it had changed (0/10 for observation)
    j0ndav wrote: »
    i haven't even noticed it had changed (0/10 for observation)
    You know this is an underwater game?

But I finally found the reason for the new controls. The devs will soon rename the game:

"Dive Hard" (Subtitle: From Subnautica with Love)

It's a game where you won't only fight against underwater creatures that terrorize you. No, you will also be fighting against your own mean navigation controls. - Brutus Willy from Rock'n Roll Underwater Games
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    I quite like the way the seamoth works TBH.

But if it's causing problems for people then it definitely needs an option to be turned off.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I quite like the way the seamoth works TBH.

But if it's causing problems for people then it definitely needs an option to be turned off.

Not even turned off, but allow us to use the old setting or the new ones. More options is better when it comes to customizing movement and UI.
    It is unfortunate that a game I have sunk 166 hours into is unplayable due to the seamoth being the main mode of transportation and causing terrible motion sickness. We really need a dev response on if they are going to change this back.
    Noobathon wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that a game I have sunk 166 hours into is unplayable due to the seamoth being the main mode of transportation and causing terrible motion sickness. We really need a dev response on if they are going to change this back.

It got better, but it's still laggy and by far not the good old feeling anymore. The devs ignore it, as they've their own secret future plan on how to drive the seamoth and cyclops. Or how to change the seamoth and cyclops in order to get people using the cyclops, because it simply can't roll or tilt a single bit (other than sinking it or doing some crazy tricks).

So let's face the truth: The old seamoth was too much fun using it. Farewell seamoth, I loved you so much. But I have lost all hope the devs will change it back. Maybe the devs have mercy and explain some of us why they did it or what they really want to achieve with sub controls.

zetachron wrote: »

It got better, but it's still laggy and by far not the good old feeling anymore. The devs ignore it, as they've their own secret future plan on how to drive the seamoth and cyclops. Or how to change the seamoth and cyclops in order to get people using the cyclops, because it simply can't roll or tilt a single bit (other than sinking it or doing some crazy tricks).

So let's face the truth: The old seamoth was too much fun using it. Farewell seamoth, I loved you so much. But I have lost all hope the devs will change it back. Maybe the devs have mercy and explain some of us why they did it or what they really want to achieve with sub controls.

At the VERY least they need to make it so your head doesn't turn before the seamoth for those of us who get sick watching it. I would prefer just an entire revert on the seamoth handling but i doubt it will happen.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited April 2016
    I think you nailed it in your original post Noobathon -- give players the choice, maybe with a checkbox in the game's Options. Hell, even if there was an INI-type or CFG file we could edit to change the control style, I'd be fine with that.

Otherwise the SeaMoth is going to sit in its moonpool, unloved and sulking. :)
    Klinn wrote: »
    I think you nailed it in your original post Noobathon -- give players the choice, maybe with a checkbox in the game's Options. Hell, even if there was an INI-type or CFG file we could edit to change the control style, I'd be fine with that.

Yeah, at this point I just want to be sure to get the devs attention. As for me, this determines whether or not I can play the game more or less so I am much more concerned about this design decision than others. They also made it less maneuverable for some reason. It is called the seaMOTH ffs. It could and should float and flutter in all directions with ease. The name made sense before at least haha.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Let's just tag the devs and focus them on our concerns
    Let's just tag the devs and focus them on our concerns

Tag them?
  • WaterfallWaterfall Cherbourg/FR Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214918Members
    I didn't notice any change... What's the problem ?
    I'm probably stupid...
    Waterfall wrote: »
    I didn't notice any change... What's the problem ?
    I'm probably stupid...

LOL, just looked at your join date. This was before you started playing.
  • WaterfallWaterfall Cherbourg/FR Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214918Members
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I didn't realise it had changed either, but hadn't played for some months.

Not having any problems with it myself.
    Halios wrote: »
    I didn't realise it had changed either, but hadn't played for some months.

Not having any problems with it myself.

Do you experience minimal lags or stuttering? Because the new controls are non-fluid for me, while the old ones were absolutely flawless in being fluid. The old controls had the disadvantage of uncontrolled spinning when tilting too much. They also had no realistic laziness inside, while the new ones are now too lazy and laggy to feel right.

The process of adapting the new seamoth controls isn't finished though and got almost acceptable now. So there isn't a final judgement at this time. Without the lags it's acceptable.

With the cyclops it's different. The players got used to navigate a sub that can't roll or tilt, while the others like me ignore to navigate it. The devs want me to use the cyclops and I really tried for hours to get some fun back, but it didn't work, because my wish to roll and tilt was too big.
    I asked on the subnautica discord and it seems they are looking for a system that works for non-PC players with controllers and instead of having a setting they want the game to load up different control schemes depending on if you are using oculus/controller or if not.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Do you experience minimal lags or stuttering? Because the new controls are non-fluid for me, while the old ones were absolutely flawless in being fluid. The old controls had the disadvantage of uncontrolled spinning when tilting too much. They also had no realistic laziness inside, while the new ones are now too lazy and laggy to feel right.

The machine I'm playing Subnautica on (not mine) is pretty old. Still running windows 7. I often get major lag and stutters in the seamoth if travelling at full speed as it struggles to load environments and critters. Especially if I haven't rebooted the machine recently.

I don't have any problems with the seamoth controls though. I'm quite reckless in it too. I go full speed through tight tunnels and in very shallow waters and almost never hit anything. Except fish sometimes when they spawn out of nowhere.
    edited April 2016
    Halios wrote: »

The machine I'm playing Subnautica on (not mine) is pretty old. Still running windows 7. I often get major lag and stutters in the seamoth if travelling at full speed as it struggles to load environments and critters. Especially if I haven't rebooted the machine recently.

I don't have any problems with the seamoth controls though. I'm quite reckless in it too. I go full speed through tight tunnels and in very shallow waters and almost never hit anything. Except fish sometimes when they spawn out of nowhere.

Do you run experimental like me? Seamoth controls were ok until last farming update.