The dive reel

BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
What's your point on this item ?

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I've never bothered to use it, I can usually rely on memory to navigate caves. I expect that plenty of other people find it useful though.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    I expect that plenty of other people find it useful though.

Or kick themselves for not carrying it. Although, it is useful for getting out of wrecks.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I don't use it, but can imagine for new player it is useful. For me the cave systems don't look that comlicated to orient. But that can be just me as I play Subnautica for over a year.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    I used it a little bit in the past for caving but generally have no issue back tracking those. The wrecks on the otherhand when its night time, it's hard to see the environment outside your torchlight beam and you're almost out of air and are trying to rush back out...I've been in this scenario a number of times and the reel definitely would have helped a lot to quickly find my way back out.

It definitely has it's place in Subnautica.

- Hyp3rion
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    Used it once when I first played the game, saw how buggy it was, never used it again.

I think you should delete it and replace it with something that will not create this collision issue. What I proposed in another post was a luminous robot fish. So it's a too part tool: the first part is a beacon you put at the entrance of a cave, and then, when you want to get out, you activate the fish and the fish will automatically rally the beacon, allowing you to follow it.

It feels cooler and more in line with the spirit of the game (to me at least)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I am absolutely hopeless finding my way around. I often get lost even in my own city that I - theoretically - know very well. In Subnautica, I managed to get lost in the base I built myself, so you get the idea. The dive reel is a must have tool for me, I just wish it wasn't bugged.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    never use it to be honest
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    edited April 2016
    I've found it to be more trouble that it's worth. Most places where I felt that I might need it, I've ended up not finding an attachment point in a handy spot. Personally, if they made it a powered device that you could use to reel yourself back to the anchor point with, then I'd consider using it. As it stands, I'll pass. I have better things to spend inventory and quickbar slots on.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Would be a lifesaver playing on hardcore and trying to explore wrecks in the deep, especially the disorienting ones that are on their sides. As the tech we need to advance moves more and more into wrecks, the need for this fix will only increase.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited April 2016
    The reel is a cool idea, it needs work imho, when you make a few elevation changes and lots of twist and turn it starts clipping as we all know.

What we need is a way to put another anchor point at the major turns in direction and just leave the rope behind and start a new run. Then when we back track we follow the rope line the is now in place for future use. So in short we make a series of short rope lines, marking the way out.

We may need to harvest kelp in order to refill the reel for time to time, instead of the endless one we have now.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Agreed. It should drop a hidden "mini-beacon" every few yards, and run the "cable" between them. As you wind back up, it would unspawn the beacons.

Yes this would be angled unlike like a real wire - but at least it would work.
  • A_BecauseA_Because Michigan, US Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215469Members
    There are some caves, like the mountain island and mushroom/lava/koosh zone one that are just confusing enough that I like to have some way of reliably navigating through them, so I do use the dive reel then.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    There might be uses for the reel if it works correctly and has the ability to shoot off a hook that attaches to ground and creatures. So you could take a ride using attachment to creatures. But maybe the best use would simply be the ability to get out of a shaft labyrinth of a wreck in no time, giving wreck exploration a new dimension.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Its...not very useful now.Maybe when the grapple hook upgrade arrives,it will see more use.
  • TaiineTaiine CA, USA Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215236Members
    I use becons to nav caves.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    Taiine wrote: »

how many beacons are in your cave exploration kit?
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Taiine wrote: »

how many beacons are in your cave exploration kit?

I don't know about Tiiane but I typically only need the two. After that it's just a matter of triangulation, but I have to admit that I did pretty well in orienteering when I was a kid.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    The dive reel could be useful to navigate the more complex wrecks, if it worked properly. otherwise i wouldnt see the need for it.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I only very rarely die because I got lost in a cave or wreck. It just doesn't seem worth it, unless perhaps your playing hardcore.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    I guess if the dive reel could turn into rigid segment when the rope have a collision this could be a simple ugly but effective mechanic.

To be honest I do not really know how the dive reel works (physically) ingame.

• JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Never saw a reason for it. Maybe when the Lava biome opens but for now, Caves are simple and short.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Bobythebee wrote: »
    To be honest I do not really know how the dive reel works (physically) ingame.

Let me help you out there - it doesn't. You anchor it and start swimming, and the rope clips right through the terrain / walls of the wreck, so it does you very little good trying to navigate back out.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    What would help would be a seaglide upgrade that made it slower (so it didn't help you move) but carried extra air (or maybe cargo)!