Help needed from most experienced Subnautica players! (TOP list)

DoubleJDoubleJ UK Join Date: 2016-02-25 Member: 213425Members
Hello everyone and welcome!
So today i am gathering biggest brains of Subnautica in small circle for some information and knowledge sharing.
Without long introduction i would like to ask your help!
I am making a video on smallest creatures in Subnautica and i want you to share your thoughts here!
If you have extra minute and could help me write down from 10 to 1 what is your opinion on this issue.
I have made top 10 biggest creature video and i can say that making top 10 smallest will be 100% harder!
Now i know that there are a lot of small creatures, but i am thinking to make top 10 smallest list with creatures you can actually interact with.
Small fishes or sea creatures who are just part of environment i think i will skip for know just for lack of knowledge and i think it will be more
interesting to see what small creatures we can actually take/kill or do other cool stuffs :)
I hope i made myself clear (sorry for bad English, not native) and if you could help me that would be awesome!
ps. i am thinking to include people (in the video) who will contribute with help.
Thank you and see you in the comment section :)

Best wishes!
DoubleJ

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Once you throw away things like the scuttlebug that are just kinda there, and the re-skins that are basically the same as their shallow-water bretheren, you have;
    Airsack
    Biter - everyone hates these
    Bleeder - everyone hates these too
    Boomerang
    Cave Crawler - everyone also hates these
    Crash
    Eyeye
    Floater
    Garryfish - not worth catching
    Holefish
    Hoopfish
    Hoverfish
    Mesmer
    Peeper
    Reginald
    Spadefish

Are you looking for our top 10?
  • beanbass1beanbass1 NOLA Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214328Members
    Those little tiny bioluminescent shrimp.
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Once you throw away things like the scuttlebug that are just kinda there, and the re-skins that are basically the same as their shallow-water bretheren, you have;
    Airsack
    Boomerang
    Crash
    Eyeye
    Floater
    Holefish
    Hoopfish
    Hoverfish
    Mesmer
    Peeper
    Reginald
    Spadefish

and the unfinished cutefish!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    beanbass1 wrote: »
    Those little tiny bioluminescent shrimp.

Yes, I always wondered why they were in the game
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Small list of interresting creatures, size ordered, starting small
    1. Rockgrub (very tiny, would be a perfect parasite, but just passive)
    2. Bleeder (small parasite)
    3. Biter (small, would be a perfect swarm hunter)
    4. Cave Crawler (small, but land based)
    5. Floater (variable size, use other than rocklifting?)
    6. Crash (self destruct)
    7. Mesmer (need better implementation)
  • DoubleJDoubleJ UK Join Date: 2016-02-25 Member: 213425Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Small list of interresting creatures, size ordered, starting small
    1. Rockgrub (very tiny, would be a perfect parasite, but just passive)
    2. Bleeder (small parasite)
    3. Biter (small, would be a perfect swarm hunter)
    4. Cave Crawler (small, but land based)
    5. Floater (variable size, use other than rocklifting?)
    6. Crash (self destruct)
    7. Mesmer (need better implementation)

this is actually very NICE list, thank you for the help!!! :)
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Airsack
    Boomerang
    Crash
    Eyeye
    Floater
    Holefish
    Hoopfish
    Hoverfish
    Mesmer
    Peeper
    Reginald
    Spadefish

yes i am looking for your opinion on smallest to biggest top 10 :)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    DoubleJ wrote: »
    yes i am looking for your opinion on smallest to biggest top 10 :)

OK then... from 10 (least awesome) to 1...
    10. Eyeye. Bizarre appearance? Check. Nutritional value? Check.
    9. Holefish. Ditto.
    8. Mesmer. Reminds me of the scene in Star Wars when the Millenium Falcon is nearing the Death Star... "We're caught in a tractor beam"
    7. Spadefish. The lunch with convenient handles built-in!
    6. Crash. These guys are possibly the strangest lifeform in Subnautica - Kamikaze fish.
    5. Hoverfish. Tasty, and just looks cool. Would be awesome if it actually hovered over the surface of the water, like a water strider.
    4. Floater. They make islands, which is pretty cool, and you can use them to make things, well, float.
    3. Airsack. One of the most important critters early game.
    2. Peeper. Good eatin, and it's kinda cute.
    1. Reginald. All hail his deliciousness. Better eating than Peepers and easier to catch.
    I wonder if the devs could change the behaviour of some of the smaller peaceful fish to better reflect their nature and make them more interesting and diverse from others.

Like:
    • Peeper - more curious to watch what the player or sharks are doing (peeping), but also faster to catch and too fast for sharks
    • Boomerang - can disappear into swarms when hunted and appear out of swarms when feeling safe, also have a high turning rate and their swarms can merge and split in no time
    • Spadefish - dive into sand like the sharks when hunted
    • Airsack - refuel air from time to time at purple brain corals and are found not too far from them, indicating the existance of such a coral
    • Hoverfish - can attach to bigger creatures and player backs to give them a free ride (transport parasite)

The Hoverfish attaching to peaceful bigger creatures reminds me that the game offers no peaceful roaming fish of middle size. Also most of those have no purpose so far other than laying eggs:
    • Rabbit Ray (small) - just swimming around, maybe they should get attracted to something
    • Gasopod (middle sized) - it should eat creepvines and their clusters
    • Reefback (large) - no purpose so far, might give hoverfish or others a free ride, like the blue whale it could be a far roaming creature with long pathes
    edited April 2016
    zetachron wrote: »
    Rabbit Ray (small) - just swimming around, maybe they should get attracted to something

I read on Trello that Rabbit Rays are supposed to be attracted to fragments. Also something about them stealing tools out of your hand (playful dolphin-like behavior).
    Hey guys, i finally did it :)
    hope you will enjoy this one!

best regards
    DoubleJ
    Thanks for the video, really cool B)

How about one with the top 10 of coolest Subnautica technology? (most tech is planned or done now, but you might want to wait till next month)
    Pretty sure the Rabbit Ray got its name because of the "ears" on its head.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Thanks DoubleJ ! awesome vid :D
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Thanks DoubleJ ! awesome vid :D

hey! THANK YOU! this means a lot for me :)