Why a simple speargun is needed.

chanster115chanster115 texas Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207087Members
Now I know your trying to make a more "peaceful" game but hears my input. So you people know I not a PVP kind of player, more of a PVE kind. And for the record I usually want to support and help endangered life
at least in the real world. In a video game it does not matter so much to me, and if it's trying to kill me in a game I'm usually going going to try to kill it first before it does the same to me.
I get sick and tired of having to ovoid thing trying to kill me. So when it's kill or be killed, my survival says kill. Another reason is I feel bad for parallelizing them and then slashing them to death with my knife. Because that's torture and that's not what I want, ideally I want a quick, clean, and for the most part painless death. NOT TORTURE, which is the only way currently to kill them. :(

BUT FOR BALANCE I propose this
That it be a starting blueprint
Be made with: 1 air tank + 4 titanium+ 2 silicone rubber
It takes 2x2 or 3x3 blocks of innovatory
When fired it takes 10-25sec of air as propellant for the projectile
Does the equivalent damage of stabbing it 5 or so times with a knife

Projectiles are made 5 at a time with: 1 titanium
( because the seamoth upgrade station makes 3 torpedoes from the same thing, and a pointy rod should be cheaper than a torpedo)
And takes a 1x1 space
can be retrieved by swimming into them

Even if this or something like this is not added I'm going to keep killing video game creatures that want to kill me. It's up to you the way I do that, be it humane or the current non-humane.

Comments

• eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited April 2016
    I was mining ore off of one of the big tubes, and night was beginning to fall, when from behind me I heard the sound of a stalker hunting a peeper. As I turned to look and pulled out my knife at the same time, I was bitten by 2 stalkers attacking me in a shark gang style one right after the other I think it was 3 bites and I was dead...I was close but not in the kelp forest and though I was safe, but in SubNautica safety is a relative term.
    This happened 3 or 4 days in a new start on hardcore mode, Game over for me.

I can only conclude, that we are suppose to be tasty and being a pacifist and a snack at the same time is fun in some way...
  • PeppocanettaPeppocanetta Italy Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215150Members
    Yes this game need some kind of weapon if u want to survive against big monsters in the deep ocean!!
  • sharkishsharkish Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215318Members
    THANK you this is ALL we need in this game!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I was mining ore off of one of the big tubes, and night was beginning to fall, when from behind me I heard the sound of a stalker hunting a peeper. As I turned to look and pulled out my knife at the same time, I was bitten by 2 stalkers attacking me in a shark gang style one right after the other I think it was 3 bites and I was dead...I was close but not in the kelp forest and though I was safe, but in SubNautica safety is a relative term.
    This happened 3 or 4 days in a new start on hardcore mode, Game over for me.

I can only conclude, that we are suppose to be tasty and being a pacifist and a snack at the same time is fun in some way...
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If this game ever gets a useful weapon that gives creatures a quick and merciful death it shouldn't be a bloody weapon like a speargun, but rather a shockwave gun that simply knocks out the fish. So the game can still have a good ESRB or PEGI rating, especially when I see how many kids are attracted to the game.

Maybe we just need to rework the repulsion gun (not the other version) that is already ingame and totally useless anyway, into a less forceful pusher and more damaging force knocker. So a repulsor push would harm a creature as much as a knife hits. A simple solution and not too lethal. Furthermore it could be balanced and handled like the seamoth shock (1 short knock using energy or overcharging for a big hit, but a big energy loss). So the repulsor could be used many times to scare off predators or kill 1 painlessly with using a full battery charge. Even killing a reaper would be balanced. By using 10 batteries even a stasised reaper would meet a quick fate, yet the energy price you pay would leave it a balanced way to kill and not allow players to mass kill all fish in game.
  • chanster115chanster115 texas Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207087Members
    edited April 2016
    I was thinking a one-shot speargun for a peaper hunting tool as well as self defense. like the type used for reef hunting. Not a big huge shark hunting one.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Im happy i fell on this beauty of a game that has minimal damaging tools/weapons. For once you need to use your brain to avoid danger instead of BBOOMM POOWWW ZAAPP yer dead. I understand the point some peoples try to make that if there were lethal weapons in the game if you like them you use them if you dont like them just dont use them, tho.

the devs decided to make a game where you experience the story of a person stranded on a planet with no big guns and lasers that needs to use his/her wits and study a predator in order to know what to do to avoid/escape it. its all a question of experiencing this in the game that makes it awesome and thats the point of the game. In my opinion if you add lethal weapons you defy the mentallity and goals, which defies the purpose of it.

That being said everyone is entitled to their opinions. this is mine and its as good as anyone else's.

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    ... I can only conclude, that we are suppose to be tasty and being a pacifist and a snack at the same time is fun in some way...

That's why I can't wait to see the sea dragons coming to this game. I always imagine piloting my cyclops to find new wrecks, while I listen to the radio playing "20000 fragments under the sea" and giving my hud directions to all those lovely places. When suddenly I hear this unbelievingly frightening sound and soon afterwards giant tentacles wrap around my glass cockpit smashing it to pieces. Then a hand grabs me and I come face to face looking into the eyes of a sea dragon. He opens his mouth and starts to speak to me ... wait ... no, he's eating me ... then I wake up.
    I was thinking a one-shot speargun for a peaper hunting tool as well as self defense. like the type used for reef hunting. Not a big huge shark hunting one.

I remember one of my creepvine strategies was to use small fish as a shield against stalkers, as these liked to eat them before hunting me (never tried going creepvine after dark - that gave me the creeps). For some time I dreamed of a peeping gun "peepermaster 2000" that would load dozens of peeper and fire them rapidly towards hungry predators trying to catch those quick bastards while I took my time to fetch a few goodies from the creepvines. But the devs couldn't read my mind, so the peeping gun never made it into the game. Maybe they planned to implement a fish bomb torpedo that would do it and forgot to put it into the game, as of today we only have this stupid vortex torpedo that can't even hold creatures in one place. And finally I always could drop metal somewhere and lure the predators fetching it, but again the devs didn't give the seamoth a dropbomb container to mass release inventory from some cargospace.

It's almost as if the devs created the game not to earn money, but because of sadism, to watch us players secretly, while we get being eaten as snacks by their creatures. And that's why there are no lethal weapons inside the game or reapers don't eat other predators, but only the player.

In case you have just problems hunting peepers or defending against predators, try to drive angry with your seamoth and give those bastards a full shocking overload. Or just catch peepers in stasis. And you should know that with solar recharge and shock defense overload you can kill and clean sweep whole areas during daylight - 2 loads for a stalker, 3-4 loads for a sandshark and I think 5 for the boneshark. Biters and all lesser fish are toast with a single overload.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    the devs decided to make a game where you experience the story of a person stranded on a planet with no big guns and lasers that needs to use his/her wits and study a predator in order to know what to do to avoid/escape it.

I'm of a similar mind. I really love the existing design. Not being able to point-click-kill problems makes for a much more interesting game.

I really don't understand all the angst. The game isn't that dangerous. There are plenty of non-lethal methods to deal with predators and much of the time even they're not needed. Pay attention. Time your moves.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    the devs decided to make a game where you experience the story of a person stranded on a planet with no big guns and lasers that needs to use his/her wits and study a predator in order to know what to do to avoid/escape it.

I'm of a similar mind. I really love the existing design. Not being able to point-click-kill problems makes for a much more interesting game.

I really don't understand all the angst. The game isn't that dangerous. There are plenty of non-lethal methods to deal with predators and much of the time even they're not needed. Pay attention. Time your moves.

You guys hit the nail on the head for me. I play plenty of bangbang, stabbitystab games. Subnautica is refreashingly different in that aspect. You have to study the predators to learn how to get around them, and a clever enough player can still kill every predator on the map if they want to.

Its gotten to the point where I can swim with stalkers with little worry. Sometimes I misjudged or wasn't paying close enough attention to my surroundings and I have one in my face as a consequence. I either dive for a cave or a fish to shove in its face or I swim away. Sometimes they're presistant and require a whack with a knife, but the only time I've had to kill a predator is when it camped outside my door.

Or is a bleeder. I hunt those suckers down. |D
  • chanster115chanster115 texas Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207087Members
    edited April 2016
    My thought was that it wouldn't be a insta-kill but take a few shots. Also they would respawn every couple of days or whenever you log back on. That way it's not permanent. Because they are useless dead as it stands now I see your point. If only if they made the bigger fish edible and/or used in crafting items.
    Oh look a new reinforced hull for your seamoth needs calcium from a bone-shark skin, you can't take it off him when he's alive. :neutral:
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    A stun baton is the perfect solution. Taking 1-4 hits to incapacitate a creature, and maybe taking what material you need from it, and swimming away to let it wake up. Or being able to "clip" it's "wings", figuratively speaking. Removing it's teeth, horns, spines, ect. Then it's not a threat for a few in game weeks. Or other stun weapons. Or a tranquilizer.