I guess I'm not surprised

sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Members Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Posts: 45 Advanced user
Another [email protected] that can't meet a release window? Figures. Should probably pull down that "unofficial" April 1 announcement on your site.
Peppocanetta

Comments

  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Members Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Posts: 45 Advanced user
    I appreciate your position but you have to understand my disappointment. As a professional myself, if I set a deadline and miss it there are always consequences. In my case it's a daily fine until the project is finished, not to mention the perception it casts on me with my coworkers and clients. I guess what I'm saying is shame on you guys for not living up. Not a great start on xbox for your studio. With that said, I cannot say I'm not looking forward to your product, if not a little more warily.
    wooza
  • TouchedChimpTouchedChimp ColoradoMembers Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215132Posts: 11 Fully active user
    Well I for one am happier with a better quality product even if it takes more waiting. It s disappointing yes but we just gotta hope its sooner than later.
    Darwin-Evolution
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    edited April 2016
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    I appreciate your position but you have to understand my disappointment. As a professional myself, if I set a deadline and miss it there are always consequences. In my case it's a daily fine until the project is finished, not to mention the perception it casts on me with my coworkers and clients. I guess what I'm saying is shame on you guys for not living up. Not a great start on xbox for your studio. With that said, I cannot say I'm not looking forward to your product, if not a little more warily.

    Since UWE never did an official press release and merely mention a 1st of April potential early access. I think it is actually way more professional to decide not to release an unstable product. And instead wait, to get a more stable version up and running, right?

    I mean we are talking about the console crowd, who are historically known to be way more judgemental when it comes to stability of a game. Mostly because they have the plug and play, no hassle gaming mindset. So as a result this has to be handled with care, first impressions matter in any case on any platform, but even more so in console land :)

    Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

    Darwin-EvolutionTenebrousNovaIntrepidHRustled_Jimmy
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Members Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Posts: 45 Advanced user
    Official press release or not, if I Google Subnautica on Xbox, guess what all the links say? April 1st. The only points I'm trying to make is that; #1 I'm disappointed I can't play this game all weekend now because they were wrong about the release and #2 It's a typical behavior of game development to have no accountability to live up to their word(which is our fault really). Any other industry wouldn't stand for it.

    P.s. I think it's unfair to say console gamers are impatient. Elite dangerous was barely playable for 10 minutes at a time. Ark would give you a headache from screen tearing. Both were received with high acclaim... We will make the best of what you give us.
    DemonHunter654wooza
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    edited April 2016
    "Official press release or not", well isn't that kinda an important part against what you're saying? What google indexes isn't official :D

    Both those games actually got a lot of negative press because of the state of the game, the issue here is that people who are angry (about early access of all things), tend to be a lot more vocal and bad for marketing than the people who make the best of it... Best avoid that by rescheduling and releasing a much more stable first impression of your game...


    And where did I say "impatient"... You know... I tend to assume people get obvious stuff, but in this day and age you have to tediously and unnecessarily explain all points of view... I dunno about you, I'd rather let people think for themselves instead of having to "defend" points I didn't even make, but are assumed by people who tend to read more into stuff, because that is the current trend. I always say exactly what is on my mind, no strings attached or hidden meaning. I'm probably one of the few left who trust people to understand what has been written instead of thinking of stuff that "could have been said in between the lines"


    The fact of the matter is, that in general console players tend to be more about the plug and play factor, like I actually said. That is the entire basis for the console gaming market, easy to install, easy no hassle gaming and that's fine. However bad press for an early access game that could potentially perform badly on that hardware, is a lot higher in the lands of console gaming with their mindset. Early access is a fairly new concept as well on consoles, they are finally making baby steps into how things are handled on Steam/PC, which is good. But with that comes a responsibility from developers to provide a stable and fun experience on first release. If you release too soon and you know it, that is actually unprofessional, which is the point I'm making.

    Sure you could get sad faces, but those will be even more sad if they can't even run it properly... Not everyone is able to handle early access if handled improperly and the rage will be too damn high :D Patience, something unheard off in this day and age...






    I hope I don't have to say "not all console players" and "not aimed at you" or some silly PC stuff...
    Post edited by Kouji_San on

    Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

    Rustled_JimmyHeartOfTheKING
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Members Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Posts: 45 Advanced user
    While you make your point eloquently, you fail to follow it, I made my point twice. Don't tell me you're going to do something and back out at the last minute. It's upsetting. I definitely agree a bad product being released is probably more so but that's not my point.

    Also I apologize by trying to sum up your generalization of console gamers into a single word. It seemed to fit the context you were speaking in. If it doesn't work after I plug it in and pop a disc in, I'm not happy.... Seems impatient to me no? Not wanting to start a pointless argument here. Simply defending my point.
  • FoxyFoxy United KingdomMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Posts: 470 Advanced user
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    Not wanting to start a pointless argument here. Simply defending my point.

    It seems a pointless argument was a foregone conclusion the moment you created this thread.

    crane476TenebrousNovaRustled_Jimmy
  • TouchedChimpTouchedChimp ColoradoMembers Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215132Posts: 11 Fully active user
    Sadly while I as a console gamer am very open to games being early access and having issues the statement that console gamers on a whole are less accepting of game issues is kinda head to prove or disprove. I was very into Ark when it dropped. It had issues but I loved it, the forums... Not so nice. The loud few can make the majority look bad. And while it sucks that its not coming just yet, maybe it won't be all that much longer.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    Oh don't get me wrong @sPeaRr0, I definitely understand your point about not releasing when they implied they wanted to. That stuff is pure party pooper material right there. And I also get that players usually aren't interested in the business side of things. But if push comes to shove, which one of these seems is best for all involved :D


    Releasing a game which potentially performans badly, randomly crashes or doesn't even run in some cases. It could probably get some praise from the people who understand early access. However those people tend to be a small percentage of the entire gaming crowd.

    Delaying a release so you avoid the bigger chunk of people who will try it and as a result rage if it doesn't work properly. With this comes that the game is now available and perhaps make videos about (YouTube Lp's/reviews), to actually show how bad it runs.


    I know I loaded those scenarios a tiny bit, with my conclusion based on how people tend to think. But people do tend to think like that in any case (most of the time). I tend to go by not angering the beast, if you can feed the beast at a later time and get a happy puppy as a result :tongue:


    Sidenote, I'm amazed they managed to get it to run on the latest consoles. That in itself is quite a miracle so to speak with the hardware requirements for the PC version.

    Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Members Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Posts: 45 Advanced user
    Foxy wrote: »
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    Not wanting to start a pointless argument here. Simply defending my point.

    It seems a pointless argument was a foregone conclusion the moment you created this thread.

    You're right. I'm sorry. Just my way of pouting. I'll drop it.
  • FoxyFoxy United KingdomMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Posts: 470 Advanced user
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    Foxy wrote: »
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    Not wanting to start a pointless argument here. Simply defending my point.

    It seems a pointless argument was a foregone conclusion the moment you created this thread.

    You're right. I'm sorry. Just my way of pouting. I'll drop it.

    You have every right to be disappointed and every right to vent your frustration here (which is the best place to do so). I Know Obraxis and the rest of the team will be really disappointed that things didn't happen as planned to get the game on early access today, but I also know they'll be working their little scuba socks off to get it out as soon as is possible.
    Kouji_SanBobythebee
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    Indeed, also @sPeaRr0 here's a quote from another spot on this forum by UWE's cofounder Charlie Cleveland, it doesn't get any more official than that ;)
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey guys,

    Today is April fool's, but this post is true. It's hard to say ANYTHING today, but I will try anyways.

    As you can probably tell from our tweets and the lack of Subnautica on XB1, we weren't ready to release Subnautica on XB1 today. We had problems with frame-rate and streaming in loot and creatures fast enough, so we decided to hold off.

    We really want to make sure we're not compromising the game on consoles, so it's going to take us a bit longer. I hope it will be worth the wait.

    Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

    Rustled_Jimmy
  • PeppocanettaPeppocanetta ItalyMembers Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215150Posts: 39 Fully active user
    Guys the truth is that our hype is over 9000!! I cant wait to play this fantastic game!!!
    Tw2Brick
Sign In or Register to comment.