Save Game File Size - Concerning and an Issue

CartographerCartographer San Diego Join Date: 2016-03-24 Member: 214764Members
I've noticed that my save games are massive, like beyond massive. Subnautica as a hole takes up about 8GB on my hard drive where one save game is quickly approaching the 1GB mark. I'm not sure how saves are being handled but it's becoming hard to use my cloud for saves (I use mklink commands with dropbox so I can play at work and at home on the same file). Is there any plan to address this? I haven't built a ton and it's alarming how large these save files are. I run a Rust server that is a 150 slot and we get about 10,000 unique users per wipe, for 10,000 users including all their structures, inventory, world state, and other things that are saved on my server it currently takes up about 11 MB...yes, MB. So I'm a bit worried that I have a 1GB save file for a single player game and a 11MB save file for a server with 10,000 unique users and save states in it.

I love the game, and just wanted to bring this up.

Comments

• ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    the huge file size comes from the way the game saves terrain/world data. the way i understand is that it saves every change you make dig sand saved killed fish save picked up plant/ore saved this starts pilling up fast my save is at 2gb.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    The largest save game file I have was 1.7 and 1.9GB, at that point for me it becomes unplayable, with low frame rate.
    One file had massive base building, the other was a minimal building run with exploration being my key mission. Both ended up unplayable.

I have wondered about the ram use on a side note, I have 6GB ram and the game is using up to 5000mb +
    the most I have recorded was 5800mb. The ram use is being reported to me in game with MSI afterburner Its a good thing that it is using as much ram as is available.
    If I had 8gb or more would it use more???
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    The save file bloat is partly due to lack of polish and fine tuning of things, at least that's my hope. On my laptop I can put quite a bit of time into the game but at some point the massive file size is too much. My desktop is better by leaps and bounds and can handle the larger saves that my laptop can't, so at least I don't loose anything.
    I have wondered about the ram use on a side note, I have 6GB ram and the game is using up to 5000mb +
    the most I have recorded was 5800mb. The ram use is being reported to me in game with MSI afterburner Its a good thing that it is using as much ram as is available.
    If I had 8gb or more would it use more???

The recommended amount of RAM for this game is 8gb. While you're over the minimum required, that extra 2gb can make a world of difference in a game like this. I'm running Subnautica right now and my system is reporting only 4.55gb in use (and this is a system wide total, not just Subnautica). Not sure why yours is so much higher, though.

• crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Modifying the terrain is why the save files are so big. Its one of the reason's why the terraformer is being cut from the game.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're aware of this. We're hoping to knock this size down as we develop.
    edited March 2016
    note to self never play in the sand or dig sand. lol

Wheeljake
    On the ram use I think windows use 1.+ gb to run my system and Subnautica is using what is left, and that is ok by me. Ill have to think about getting more ram to get me to 8GB, my motherboard has a 8 gig max :( and is ddr2 only. At the time I built this PC that was good to go, but now not so much. I cant see another ROG asus board in my future, but I can see trying to get 8GB of high end ram, and maybe a better graphics card.
    I will say that my graphics card plays SN nice and it looks great on a big screen Vizio
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    crane476 wrote: »
    Modifying the terrain is why the save files are so big. Its one of the reason's why the terraformer is being cut from the game.

wait what but why? i have the space 2GB is nothing i rather have huge saves and and a terraformer :'( .

i have a 3000€ pc let me use darnit.

i did some testing and i got subnautica up to 6.1GB ram usage oddly enough it barely seems to tax my cpu 3 of my core didn't even bother to do anything the rest was at like 20-30%.
    With the on screen display I use, I see a even work load across the 4 cores mostly in the 60% range I have seen higher use, but on average ill say 60 to 70 is what I see on the cpu.

I agree AMD_ntek on that if you have a high end system darnit use it. Years ago I built this PC with $3200 and 3 months of hardware research. And its still going strong I am happy it plays SN so well, for being so old.
  • SelmephrenSelmephren Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246566Members
    edited December 2018
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2018
    Selmephren wrote: »

thread-necro-jpg.74952

Comment on a current post to get your required post in. Otherwise it brings the old one to the top again.