Simple suggestion - Allow specific key for picking up weapons

FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Too many times I have mistakenly dropped my lmg instead of picking up that shotgun off of the ground in combat, causing me to get ganked and scream out in rage! NS2 is the only game I've played that had the drop weapon key also used as the pickup weapon key. Can we get the option to set a specific key for pickup weapon? Personally I'd just like to be able to set the use key to additionally enact the pickup weapon function (perhaps a checkbox somewhere could allow that?).

Comments

• TheDRTheDR Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181820Members
    I can only agree with this, changing the pickup weapon key to 'E' or allowing it to be separate from the drop weapon key would be a very helpful change.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    In addition, the aim accuracy required to successfully pick up a weapon seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Actually, after testing it in an empty server, it seems to me like it's not an accuracy issue that makes picking up weapons clumsy. I think there might be a small delay between when you're looking at a weapon and when you can actually pick it up (but I'm not sure about that).

I no longer know what causes this issue, but I have also experienced cases where my character drops his LMG without picking up the gun that I'm standing over and aiming at.

IMO, you should be able to sprint over a dropped gun and effortlessly pick it up without having to slow down. Simply tapping the key at the moment when you are over the gun and aiming slightly down should be enough, ideally.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    FYI, currently there is no "aim at weapon you want", it is the weapon that is the closest to you. Which imho is badly implemented. For instance if there is a pile of different toys, I want to be able to place the crosshair on the weapon I want, instead of using some arbitrary distance to select the weapon I want/need.

2 modes:
    1. Sprint over the weapon and press the pickup key , the way it is now (closest one gets picked up)
    2. Aiming at the weapon supersedes the "closest weapon to pick up"
    3. A seperate key, like back in 21x build and before (G for dropping and E for general use and pickup, like most games do)
  • borsdyborsdy Respawning again Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188366Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Hi, been playing this game for over 20 hours the last few weeks (: I have to say that my biggest pet peeve is picking up weapons/welders, would like to keep the drop item key but I think hitting use key on something I am standing on could make mistakes more minimal!

I understand that there are a lot of diehards in this game that are probably used to the current function thou and I suppose it would be tough to implement this now, just throwing my criticism in and hope someone is taking notes. Thanks
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty sure there's a setting in NS2+ that fixes this, automatically picks up better weapons for you, you guys should give it a try.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    I like the idea for an additional button to pickup a weapon, too. But I think if you are near a buildable structure or at the armory (where recycled weapons are often dropped for teammates who lost them) the E button would be not the ideal solution.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ChrisStark wrote: »
    I like the idea for an additional button to pickup a weapon, too. But I think if you are near a buildable structure or at the armory (where recycled weapons are often dropped for teammates who lost them) the E button would be not the ideal solution.
    Why not? You just make the armory take priority so E always opens the buymenu if it's in range. On the rare occasion that you want to pick up a weapon near the armory, then you drop your weapon and use ns2+'s autopickup. I don't think it's a good idea to put it on another key.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    You forget that not every Server uses NS2+
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not really - I'm just assumming (erroneously perhaps) that uwe will eventually (perhaps in conjunction with this change) add the autopickup in to vanilla.