The Map Room

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
The Map Room

holy bajeezus
me cannot wait!
me iz so excited!

''/faint''

Comments

• PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    I'm looking for a map to help navigation in the game, especially one you can annotate. Also, instead of simply revealing the map as you explore or having its entirety displayed once the room is set, I'd really love to have to place deployable items such as beacons to increase its length. That or perhaps having to gather data on each biome by finding wrecks and abandoned seabases.
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    nitay1998 wrote: »
    See new information on the Scanner Room:
    (Spoiler alert!!)

And

that looks so cool!
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I cant wait for the map room. As a surveyor this is right up my ally.
    Waiting to see all the cool things it can do for us. I am hoping it will tie in with the seamoth sonar.
    The seamoth sonar is one on the fastest digital terrain model regens. I ever seen. Also one of the coolest.

When I 1st started to play SubNautica I was always hitting the "M" key from habit, looking for a map.
    But as I played more I found that you will learn the lay of the land just like you would a new city or town,
    after a while you will know key features. This game has a lot of one of a kind features that I learned to recognize. Also ones you get the compass run bearings out from the pod and just explore in one direction.
    and you will start to pick up on the key Features, rock formation, cliffs, ect.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    That's so neat! I hope we will also get navigational maps for submarines too, or at least one inside the Cyclops.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    As a surveyor this is right up my ally.

Hey, a fellow surveyor. Neat.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    hello Sidchicken, 30+ years and never looked back.
  • nitay1998nitay1998 Isreal Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213278Members
    edited March 2016
    Here is new info-video about the Upcoming scanner room showing what you will see after scanning the area around you for materials(don't know if you can see it from the cameras or yourself outside)
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    I hope they add a better icon for shown resources. That doesn't seem to fit.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Well, unless there's a filter option, I can see that getting annoying real fast.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    OK, this DEFINITELY looks like it's going to be useful.
  • nitay1998nitay1998 Isreal Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213278Members
    Better look for the map in scanner room:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    nitay1998 wrote: »
    Better look for the map in scanner room:

That map room is becoming more 'n more interesting :smiley:
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    looks nice but the spinning in my mind is more trouble than it is worth.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    ADM_Ntek wrote: »
    looks nice but the spinning in my mind is more trouble than it is worth.

Hopefully they'll include a switch for two modes, one with the spinning and another where the map is oriented relative to the module.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The new changes to the Camera Drones are pretty impressive. They now have health, energy, lights, and have waypoints to where the nearest materials are that are shown on the 3D map. Hitting a wall causes a loud metallic sound, but causes no damage. Getting attacked by a hostile creature will cause some damage. So if you are looking for a specific material, then you can use the drone to find the material and use the light to give a better location of where it is.

Also, there is one major change to the Scanner Room. The scanner and antenna objects on the roof of the Scanner Room are animated. According to Trello, we will be able to craft new cameras, new upgrade chips, and a player HUD chip. One of the new upgrades will most likely be to expand the range of the cameras beyond 500 meters. The player HUD chip most likely allows the player to see all the locations of the selected material that the Scanner Room detects so it will make farming for specific items to be very easy compared to how it is now or even using the Camera Drone. Just did a test looking for Mercury Ore in the Grand Reef and it required using the Camera Drone and Terraformer to even have a chance of finding it.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    The new changes to the Camera Drones are pretty impressive. They now have health, energy, lights, and have waypoints to where the nearest materials are that are shown on the 3D map. Hitting a wall causes a loud metallic sound, but causes no damage. Getting attacked by a hostile creature will cause some damage. So if you are looking for a specific material, then you can use the drone to find the material and use the light to give a better location of where it is.

Also, there is one major change to the Scanner Room. The scanner and antenna objects on the roof of the Scanner Room are animated. According to Trello, we will be able to craft new cameras, new upgrade chips, and a player HUD chip. One of the new upgrades will most likely be to expand the range of the cameras beyond 500 meters. The player HUD chip most likely allows the player to see all the locations of the selected material that the Scanner Room detects so it will make farming for specific items to be very easy compared to how it is now or even using the Camera Drone. Just did a test looking for Mercury Ore in the Grand Reef and it required using the Camera Drone and Terraformer to even have a chance of finding it.

Yes, if they ever can handle the terraformer issues, it would make a good additional use. But a small drill extractor tool, that is placed near the surface above the ore and needs time for extraction like the scanner, would be enough without changing the terrain itself, while still allow sub surface placements with all effects of secret awe. Not only hidden ore that is harder to find, but also the buried fragments of a sunken cyclops, an alien base deeply buried under sand, or whatever creates sensation once you find it.

And the new scanner room hud could be used for advanced cyclops navigation if you can drive the cyclops while looking at the terrain hud. So the scanner room features also helps cyclops issues.

The scanner room still could get some changes for me:
    • all creatures should react to the cameras, not only the stalker
    • you should only be allowed to scan for known pda database elements
    • the map should display solid base structures and the cyclops
    • if creature scans are allowed it would help organizing the defense of creature attacks
    • displaying base would allow organizing base system status, like breaches and flooding
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Are the cameras affected by depth at all? I feel like that would be another intriguing feature to add
    Are the cameras affected by depth at all? I feel like that would be another intriguing feature to add

Maybe in the future since it is a WIP, but I doubt it. Camera Drones don't have to worry about life support so they are more durable to damage and pressure.
    zetachron wrote: »
    [*] all creatures should react to the cameras, not only the stalker
    I would love to see creatures come to the camera to see what's this annoying beast ^^
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

The most important depth obstacle is the O2 organics issue with pressure. Objects that don't need O2 or a vacuum, but are sealed without such spaces, can endure far more pressure. The focus space for the lens of a cam normally is O2 or vaccum and the weak point. But a future underwater cam could use a fluid, thus eliminating the last pressure obstacle.

Generally speaking any robot has far more chances for space and underwater exploration than humans will ever have (if they don't use avatars). Humans just breath too much.

In Subnautica 2 humans will use avatar tech to send an expedition down to the planetery core if they ever survive the nightmares that are waiting there.
    Bobythebee wrote: »
    I would love to see creatures come to the camera to see what's this annoying beast ^^

I'd love to see a crash coming in for a good night kiss (remember the crash vs seamoth?), but instead I just face this crash inside his pod waiting for a player to come by. Really I feel as an immortal god using the cams, even the stalkers just relocate the cams without damaging them (don't place a scanner room near stalker territory - they rush to your base and fetch the docked cams or the player for a snack).

But it's unfinished and the health and energy bars are already there. The fabricator will allow rebuilding cams. So I think it will come.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    What I'm worried about with the map room is that every time I move the cameras around and then reload the save, the cameras somehow duplicate, even if I dock them in their sockets after. I just loaded yesterday's save and ended up with 6 of them floating around. Sure, I can pick them up and get rid of them, but still it's somewhat annoying. Hopefully it won't be an issue in the stable version of the room... or maybe it's a feature and I'm just stupid? :wink:
    The Fabricator is now working. Can make more cameras, create an HUD chip that shows the location of whatever material you are trying to find to the player just like the compass and thermometer show direction and temperature, a scan speed upgrade , and a scan range upgrade. The upgrades have absolutely no effect on the range of the cameras. No matter how many scan range upgrades that I added, they still lost contact at 500 meters. Didn't see the upgrades do anything, but it could be do to the 3D map controls aren't working yet so the 3D map can't zoom in or out.

It is actually viable to have more than one Scanner Room in a base. Have one set up to scan for Metal Salvage or Limestone Outcrops, one set up to scan for Quartz, and the last set up to scan for whatever you need at the moment. Picking up a piece of metal salvage currently causes all Metal Salvage locations to temporarily vanish, but all Quartz locations remain until one is picked up. Trello indicates that Wrecks will eventually show up in the Scanner Room as well.

• Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    edited April 2016
    Do the cameras still duplicate themselves? I'm on experimental, and because of that bug (at least I think it's a bug?) I just decided against trying out the room any more.
    I doesn't have the time to test it now.. So the scanner room will surely be stable for me, nice work listing the changes here guys ! :)
    Not seeing any duplication. Although if they do duplicate, then you can just pick them up, throw them in the locker, and get rid of the locker. Although, all of my work with the Scanner Room is done with Creative mode since it is just a pain to get the blueprint normally. Especially, if I just want to play around with the Scanner Room.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not seeing any duplication. Although if they do duplicate, then you can just pick them up, throw them in the locker, and get rid of the locker. Although, all of my work with the Scanner Room is done with Creative mode since it is just a pain to get the blueprint normally. Especially, if I just want to play around with the Scanner Room.

Thanks for the info! And that's a fine tip about stuffing them in the locker and deleting it. Never thought of doing it that way. :smiley:
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I'm also understandably excited about this.

I'm also a teensy, tiny bit hopeful that having introduced this scanner drone technology that we might get them on the cyclops. I don't know about anyone else but I have a hard time piloting that thing in unfamiliar or even just dark waters.
    Halios wrote: »
    I'm also understandably excited about this.

I'm also a teensy, tiny bit hopeful that having introduced this scanner drone technology that we might get them on the cyclops. I don't know about anyone else but I have a hard time piloting that thing in unfamiliar or even just dark waters.

If we do get something like the Scanner Room for the Cyclops, then it would be through Cyclop chip upgrades. Even then, it would probably be limited to piloting Camera Drones. There would need to be far more customization on the Cyclops to get the same functionality as the Scanner Room. After all, there needs to be a large scanning array, antenna, and 3D map pedestal on the Cyclops. The only thing that appears to be on the Cyclops is the antenna or whatever that spinning thing with an antenna and camera is.