Save the Rock Puncher!

Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
edited March 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I think the Rock Puncher is cool, but according to Wikia, because Terraforming is being removed, this creature is in danger of being scrapped as well!

640?cb=20150525212414

But maybe it doesn't have to be scrapped. A person on Wikia suggested:
Instead of removing him entirely they could just alter his behavior to be more mantis shrimp like, basically punching living things getting too close. - A Wikia Contributor

So why not? Forget being able to change the terrain... Change the Rock Puncher to a defensive creature, putting up its dukes to warn away anything coming near and punching them if they get too close! BAM!

Source: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Rock_Puncher

Comments

• xXDogeLordXxxXDogeLordXx Doge bed Join Date: 2015-08-03 Member: 206713Members
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    Is terraforming being removed or just the terraformer device?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    They are removing the device. This creature isn't even in the game yet as far as I know, but if in fact they were planning to add it and it was planned to alter the terrain, it makes sense they'd drop it. The primary concern with the device is the burden on system memory/oversized save files. A creature altering the terrain seems like it would be just as bad - probably worse, since there'd probably be more than one.
  • NuedlesNuedles Russia Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213867Members
    I am that wiki contributor. The thing about terraformer is what altering terrain data causes save files to bloat as stated above, BUT what stops them from just altering his behavior? I believe cutting an ability makes more sence than scratching the whole thing, considering he already has a model and (i believe somewhere on trello) animations done for him.
  • NotAnNSASpyNotAnNSASpy UK Join Date: 2015-12-14 Member: 209978Members
    #SaveTheRockpuncher
  • DevilForceDevilForce Lithuania Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213871Members
    Or maybe make him punch rocks just rarely on occasion :p
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    If you're going to alter his behavior, change his name.

#SaveTheGiantCrabThingThatPunches
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2016
    6ismus wrote: »
    If you're going to alter his behavior, change his name.
    Boxer Crab
    Boxer Mantis

Just "Boxer" - simple like the name "Crash" or "Airsack"

Any other suggestions? Mine kinda suck...
  • VoicedlightVoicedlight Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213306Members
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    They already have the model and animations. Since terraforming is gone you might have to make a him a little more generic in his behavior but he's a cool creature design that I think is worth saving. There's a severe lack of crustacean like creatures, especially large ones. If you're going to kill the terraformer don't take the rock puncher with it plz. He doesn't deserve it.

Have him only punch specific rocks that spawn or are specially coded so he's not manipulating the actual terrain. Or simply have him punch stuff that doesn't cause an actual terrain change but causes things to spawn like ores(which may be his food source.), or if you have to Make him a generic defensive creature that walks and uses the punch attack on the player.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    It's the eye of the stalker, it's the thrill of the fight...
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    As a owner of a mantis shrimp I also must put in my 2 cents.

#saveRockytheAlienMantisshrimp
  • konbedkonbed Belgium Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214104Members
    He could attack bases. Seabases are to save :tongue:
    I think there's still not enough carnivores and weapons. I know that subnautica is about exploring but I don't see any sense in killing stalkers or biters :/
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Maybe we just rename him:
    • Punches with Rocks
    • Crab of Steel
    • One Hit Crab
    • King of Rock

When he hits the exosuit, seamoth or player it's simply game over. And maybe he mimics as rock too ...
    "The last thing I saw was this rock I hit against, but then the rock seemed to punch back :D
    edited March 2016
    iajiH1J.jpg?1

(Phoenix223 clicks the SAVE button)
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    +1 save the rock dude B)
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    aye I think the idea for it came from the mantis shrimp so if anything can be resized and repurposed to go after shellfish and other coruscations rather then I'm going to guess by the concept art breaking the rock to get at the shrimp looking things
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    #save the rock puncher
    aye I think the idea for it came from the mantis shrimp so if anything can be resized and repurposed to go after shellfish and other coruscations rather then I'm going to guess by the concept art breaking the rock to get at the shrimp looking things

Resized? I like its size the way it is now:
    640?cb=20150525204702
    Source: subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rock_puncher_vs_human2.jpg

Here's a fun idea. What if you came across this creature, and the player puts up his own fists and have a boxing match with the Rock Puncher?

'Course... as soon as the bell rings, you'll probably find yourself back in your lifepod.
    zetachron wrote: »
    "The last thing I saw was this rock I hit against, but then the rock seemed to punch back :D
    XD
    Well, at least it would make for a good minigame... or a fan art.
  • kolboomkolboom Germany Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214670Members
    *like*
    the game needs more crabs, anyway, that means also smaller ones.
  • JYARJYAR USA Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207671Members
  • OrkaOrka Join Date: 2007-06-07 Member: 61157Members
    edited March 2016
    Would be a waste to scrap it, plus it looks cool!

Just make it passive, or defensive, but don't remove it.

Would be perfect for the deep Lava areas in my opinion, he could just smash the ground, materials come loose, but no terraforming is done.
  • FishingbigfootFishingbigfoot Maine Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214736Members
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    Why not just have him go around punching rock outcroppings? They already exist after all.
  • SkullCroosSkullCroos Spain Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214712Members
    huh.... I like this concept of enemy or creature, it would act like the fucking annoying ass creepers in minecraft that would blow your chest that is full of crap, and you will be cursing all the way.

Same thing with this guy, it would breach your home full of water, destroy part of your stuff, and do what the hell he wants until you get rid of it.

Yep, 1+
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    long live the rock puncher.
  • OrkaOrka Join Date: 2007-06-07 Member: 61157Members
    SkullCroos wrote: »
    huh.... I like this concept of enemy or creature, it would act like the fucking annoying ass creepers in minecraft that would blow your chest that is full of crap, and you will be cursing all the way.

Same thing with this guy, it would breach your home full of water, destroy part of your stuff, and do what the hell he wants until you get rid of it.

Yep, 1+

Would actually be the perfect enemy to attack your base.
    Some big ass lobster smashing in your windows!
    Orka wrote: »
    SkullCroos wrote: »

Yep, 1+

Would actually be the perfect enemy to attack your base.
    Some big ass lobster smashing in your windows!

How would you chase it off? Would it eventually lose interest and leave? Or would a repulsion cannon suffice? I've spawned sand sharks near my creative base in the shallows; one of them kept coming back each time I pushed it away with an RC.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not objecting to it... In fact, it would make the Rock Puncher one of the best harassment enemies I'd ever encounter in Subnautica. If we take it further, maybe the AI would alert you if the base comes under attack, and you'd have to rush back before "Tyson" reduces it to rubble.