The long awaited bedroom furniture!

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
Yes .... Yes my dear dear friends. What we've all been waiting/asking for so long is almost at hand :)

Bedroom Furniture

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
  • Sabier3Sabier3 Dunedin Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212265Members
    TWO PILLOWS!!!

OMG! Multiple characters confirmed! The Sims Underwater! I hope we get different clothes for our companion, I don't want to sleep next to someone in a diving suit. Much excited! Which options are we going to have for bed sheets colors? Devs please add bathroom too, no point in having a bed without a bathroom so please add a bathroom to the game I need a bathroom for my human necessities also other than a bed please devs add now!!!!1!!!

lol

Jokes aside, this is nice, well spotted :)

I wonder if these new furniture pieces will have any functionality.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    this is good news, bases really need more furniture variety. Good job!
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Most excellent, my bedroom can now live up to its name. XD
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Pretty awesome. Even if it doesn't DO anything in-game, it adds to the immersion. I also see there are shelves. I wonder if we'll be able to put things on them for storage? That'd be neat.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Pretty awesome. Even if it doesn't DO anything in-game, it adds to the immersion. I also see there are shelves. I wonder if we'll be able to put things on them for storage? That'd be neat.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Or minerals, ores and crystals for decoration!
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    OMG BEDS! I'm the happiest mammal in the ocean right now. My deluxe bedroom with a spectacular view of Aurora's carcass will finally be complete.

Here's hoping we'll see the new furniture on experimental build soon... I mean, the map room is already there so the bed should arrive soon as well, right??
    i still think bunks would be more in keeping with the underwater base theme though.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    j0ndav wrote: »
    i still think bunks would be more in keeping with the underwater base theme though.
    You're probably right, but having bunk beds while being the sole survivor could have a very detrimental effect on the player character's emotional state. That other bed would always be empty - forever alone... :smiley:
  • zoidreaperzoidreaper New York Join Date: 2015-07-31 Member: 206571Members
    It would be great if we could get models of the ships in the game to put on the shelves or the computer could grant accolades / trophies for achieving things.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    OMG BEDS! I'm the happiest mammal in the ocean right now. My deluxe bedroom with a spectacular view of Aurora's carcass will finally be complete.
    Now all you need are curtains so those damn Peepers aren't always... well... peeping on you (something wrong with those fish, I tell ya').

• ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    MORE FURNITURE FOR THE AESTHETIC GODS. DECORATE, DECORATE, DECORATE
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members

Completely agree with you, but this is STILL awesome!
    cctv would be cool too - place the cameras around the base and have a screen on a desk/wall so you can ...erm..... look at stuff.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    cctv would be cool too - place the cameras around the base and have a screen on a desk/wall so you can ...erm..... look at stuff.

That would only be cool if there were some sort of creature that could infiltrate your base. Other than that it would be completely pointless.
    crane476 wrote: »

That would only be cool if there were some sort of creature that could infiltrate your base. Other than that it would be completely pointless.

yeah, it would be pointless, but so are most of the base items - desks that dont do anything, chairs you cant sit on etc etc - but just adds to the feel of a sea base.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    You're probably right, but having bunk beds while being the sole survivor could have a very detrimental effect on the player character's emotional state. That other bed would always be empty - forever alone... :smiley:

And a double bed with the other side forever empty is better? Seems to me that would be even more disheartening.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members

And a double bed with the other side forever empty is better? Seems to me that would be even more disheartening.

I don't know about you, but if I had the choice between a twin bunk and a queen sized bed, I'm taking the queen. I like to stretch out. And after what our character went through, stranded seemingly alone, with no garunteed rescue imminent...

Gimme the big fancy bed. XD

I live alone and I do use a double bed purely for comfort reasons. It's one bed with a lot of space, the way I see it, while bunk is two beds, made specifically for two people. So I suppose it all depends on personal experiences and point of view. :smile:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Not to revive an old thread but im kind of wondering if the bedroom furnitures in the game will ever be scannable/usable in order to allow us to make bedrooms. the models been in the game for a good while now (well over 2 months) yet theyre still not scannable.

Maybe i've been a bit too hasty at jumping to the conclusion that we will eventually be able to decorate our bases with them furnitures and its entirely possible that they will only ever be there just as inactive, unusable wreck parts. Im wondering if a Devs that maybe will read this post give us their thoughts on this subject, that would at least tells us what to expect of this :wink:
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I am looking forward to the bedroom furniture also, I was hoping it would be in this last big release.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Its a good piece of art decoration. But the game has no need for sleep. So I usually just create nice looking living rooms and no bedrooms. The game would need some mechanism to make sleeping worthwile.

Maybe a bar like hunger and thirst with getting slower and more blurry vision after a few days without sleep.

Another possibility that's much more cheaper would be inserting cinematic ingame sequences as dreams when you sleep (you know, scripts to display an ingame scene with the own engine or even a simple premade photo tour). First you start to dream of your Aurora escape, then hunting in the safe shallows, then being chased by a reaper, ... , meeting a strange warper, following him to a strange place, seeing a giant imprisoned creature, ... So each time you sleep you get a surprise or little story in return.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Or just use beds to pass the time until the next sunrise. Instead of twiddling my thumbs and peeking out to see if it's time to go exploring again.

A Bethesda-style interface would be fine -- click on the bed, select the number of hours to sleep, fade to black, fade back in again. If some emergency occurs while you're sleeping, you wake up. It would be like a user-controllable "Day" cheat except you could wake up at sunrise, not noon.
    @zetachron - Unless I'm missing something, the desk has no in-game function... why do beds need to have them? It gives a sense of immersion and it's a cool thing to be able to add. Makes it feel more like you're living in the base. If they give it an actual function, that's even better of course, but just being able to make them I think is worthwhile.

On a related note, are there actual beds in wrecks? I haven't noticed any yet, though It's certainly possible I just haven't explored thoroughly enough.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    There used to be two beds in the wreck in the Mountains biome, along with bookcases and wall shelves. But the last time I looked, just before the Machinery Update, everything but one bookcase was missing. So no beds to (maybe) scan at the moment as far as I know.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    @zetachron - Unless I'm missing something, the desk has no in-game function... why do beds need to have them? It gives a sense of immersion and it's a cool thing to be able to add. Makes it feel more like you're living in the base. If they give it an actual function, that's even better of course, but just being able to make them I think is worthwhile.

On a related note, are there actual beds in wrecks? I haven't noticed any yet, though It's certainly possible I just haven't explored thoroughly enough.

yes, this :smiley:
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Actually I've seen functional beds and sleep work quite well in other games adding to immersion and my suggestions are from successful games that used those principles. That doesn't mean it sucks if the beds are only decorative, only that I'd like to see them more functional.

Just like the chairs. First you couldn't sit until the devs worked to get the sitting function inside. Now I can sit in front of my desk. And why shouldn't the desk not get some base system control holodisplay like the cyclops light controls? Imagine sitting at your desk and you could control some things like:
    • switch base interior lights and exterior spotlights
    • switch base defenses in case of creature attacks
    • switch status of all bulkheads of a base to open/closed

Other decorative or functional elements?
    • a small holomap projector displaying a creature scanned to the PDA database, just to decorate a room
    • a music player to play your own music inside your room or it's linked to a sound beacon you place and you listen to the echoes of life in a biome
    • posters like the already existing NS2
    • glass roofs or glass floors for the MP room
    • a spiral staircase around the MP room center

This would all be awesome!
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Actually I've seen functional beds and sleep work quite well in other games adding to immersion and my suggestions are from successful games that used those principles. That doesn't mean it sucks if the beds are only decorative, only that I'd like to see them more functional.

Just like the chairs. First you couldn't sit until the devs worked to get the sitting function inside. Now I can sit in front of my desk. And why shouldn't the desk not get some base system control holodisplay like the cyclops light controls? Imagine sitting at your desk and you could control some things like:
    • switch base interior lights and exterior spotlights
    • switch base defenses in case of creature attacks
    • switch status of all bulkheads of a base to open/closed

Other decorative or functional elements?
    • a small holomap projector displaying a creature scanned to the PDA database, just to decorate a room
    • a music player to play your own music inside your room or it's linked to a sound beacon you place and you listen to the echoes of life in a biome
    • posters like the already existing NS2
    • glass roofs or glass floors for the MP room
    • a spiral staircase around the MP room center

Youre suggestion is amazing.Unfortunately,the devs have too much on their plate at the moment,with the Machinery Update fiasco and the pressure to release V1.0 before august.

My advice would be to compile you're idea nicely,add some concept art,format it,then post it after V1.0 is out.The devs will most likely take notice.

If you actually create a thread like this after V1.0,i will wholeheartedly support you.You could also go to discord and ask them directly.