NS2+ Recommended Settings

MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate placesValencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
Since the NS2+ options menu can be a bit overwhelming I've made a video that will hopefully help people learn what the most useful settings tend to be. Of course you don't have to follow this to the letter, but it's a good orientation on what are generally the best options for performance/quality of life in NS2+.

Hopefuly it helps people discover some "new" features :)

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Holy shit I can disable those holograms? All this time and I never knew. I'll actually be able to aim properly in System Waypointing and Logistics. That's a gamechanger. I always wondered how the obstruction never seemed to effect anyone else's aim whereas it crippled mine.

Also didn't realize you could disable ambient map sounds and minimize particle effects. Prioritizing player alerts looks good too.

Here I was pretty much only using ns2+ to disable build/move order icons.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Holy shit I can disable those holograms? All this time and I never knew. I'll actually be able to aim properly in System Waypointing and Logistics. That's a gamechanger. I always wondered how the obstruction never seemed to effect anyone else's aim whereas it crippled mine.

Also didn't realize you could disable ambient map sounds and minimize particle effects. Prioritizing player alerts looks good too.

Here I was pretty much only using ns2+ to disable build/move order icons.

Liar. I can tell by how you didn't mention launch control.

Also, instant ragdoll doesn't work properly sometimes. *hides*
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crazy's AV in ns2+ is pretty great too. Just needs a bite aid.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Aeglos wrote: »

This is due to a vanilla bug.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »

This is due to a vanilla bug.

HLTV confirmed due to a relevancy bug.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    THANKS SO MUCH
    I don't like some of the other settings (like no tracer -> tells me where the enemy marine is).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    THANKS SO MUCH
    I don't like some of the other settings (like no tracer -> tells me where the enemy marine is).

The tracer setting is first person only, you still see other player's tracers, I should have specified that I guess.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Thanks for this video! Helped me much but I don't like some of the settings though. But thats a case of taste I think ^^
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited March 2016
    I honestly cannot remember if I had the map particles on or off before watching this and playing with my settings. Either they were on and I'm just good at ignoring them (because it's actually pretty easy to see a skulk in that globe thing, system waypointing is a little harder to see through but so low to the floor it rarely matters), or I had them off without even realizing what they did (some of the non-default settings set themselves sometimes, especially in previous versions).

Marine click should be useful. Assuming you it's easy enough to add you might consider including a similar alien-commander option, it would help when using Drifters especially.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    No first person tracers and the NS1 HUD Bars are my personally recommended faves.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    d0ped0g wrote: »

Didnt know this aswell and feels like cheating.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Please add an option to hide personal ressource.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Please add an option to hide personal ressource.

Why?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Because it's redundant and takes space on the screen, just look at the scoreboard to see your pres.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    No first person tracers and the NS1 HUD Bars are my personally recommended faves.

Can you explain the tracer thing? They don't seem to be off target, and and they don't seem to be enough to get in my way. The shotgun tracers actually seem kind of useful, more as a reminder of the spread than something to actually aim with (god knows I don't want a giant crosshair to match the actual spread)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    sotanaht wrote: »

Can you explain the tracer thing? They don't seem to be off target, and and they don't seem to be enough to get in my way. The shotgun tracers actually seem kind of useful, more as a reminder of the spread than something to actually aim with (god knows I don't want a giant crosshair to match the actual spread)

I think it's because ns2 weapons are hitscan, and the tracers actually take time to fly. At least that's my impression. It has caused me a great deal of confusion in the past, too. (Do I lead the target or not? Answer is no.)
    Makes sense, I could see where something like that could throw you off now.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

IronMode is my favorite setting B)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    @sotanaht

@F0rdPrefect got it right. They are horribly (and unrealistically) slow, which can throw you off as you naturally attempt to adjust from them.
    While I'd love to see them faster, just removing them is probably better considering flashy yellow moving things have no place in the center of your screen when trying to track a dark skulk in a dark room.

Here's a video of how far off tracers are (at half speed)

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I guess I f***d up wiht it now I don't see tunnels destination anymore. It's like getting in the tube with no direction pannels. On large server, you can easily have 5 to 6 tunnels in a hive. Damn !
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Wake wrote: »
    I guess I f***d up wiht it now I don't see tunnels destination anymore. It's like getting in the tube with no direction pannels. On large server, you can easily have 5 to 6 tunnels in a hive. Damn !
    If you set the nameplates style to Bars only it won't display the destination, because it only displays the bars (ie. no text).
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Sticky me before it's too late