What one of Aurora crew are we?

eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
The Aurora crew consist of 11 Command team, 57 Engineering Team, 30 Support crew, 3 Passengers.
I for one find the crew to be to small for a ship the size of the Aurora. But this is the list we are given, so who are we?

Comments

• RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    Good question, but it is currently unanswerable. There is nothing that talks about the past of the 'player'. I think he(/she when they add a gender selection) is probably a passenger, but thats just a guess.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    A 5th option could be Stowaway. Hiding near life pod 5 eating and drinking the supply's. Explaining only 2 days food and 1 days water onboard, give or take.
    edited March 2016
    double post sorry. o:)
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Voted engineering because the protagonist seems to be a resourceful person.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Since we appear to have no capability to do anything without the fabricators help, I can only imagine that we are a particularly inept civilian. We can't cook, so were not support crew (which usually means things like cooks or janitors), we can't so much as boil water without the fabricators help, so not an engineer, which also make command team unlikely.
  • TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    Another Question why are we in a diving suit to start? Could be an answer.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I'm saying Engineering because it has the largest chance of being right. Also I know we're not in command because we wouldn't have allowed such sloppy behaviour on our vessel
  • fireboy633fireboy633 america Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209279Members
    were an engineeer we cant be passenger because of this is terraforming trip
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    Engineering makes sense, that's probably why the main character is so adept at building, working, and maintaining highly advanced tech.
    edited March 2016
    Support crew sounds like it could be a diver / labor.

Or a evil escaped convict Stowaway that sabotaged the Aurora and is the reason we are the only survivor?
    If you look at all the life pods that we can find, every one of them are damaged from what looks like to me an explosions from inside to the outside. Smells like sabotage.
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    Support crew sounds like it could be a diver / labor.

Or a evil escaped convict Stowaway that sabotaged the Aurora and is the reason we are the only survivor?
    If you look at all the life pods that we can find, every one of them are damaged from what looks like to me an explosions from inside to the outside. Smells like sabotage.

To be fair, the player's life pod very nearly did the same. Perhaps the fire ran its course to the power cells in the other life pods?
    edited March 2016

"To be fair, the player's life pod very nearly did the same. Perhaps the fire ran its course to the power cells in the other life pods?"

I forgot about the fire in our life pod. Or our timing was off a few seconds and to near the Aurora when she exploded.

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited March 2016
    A scientist for me. Love love LOVE the farming and plants, though if only there was a way we might grow coral and miniature coral tubes... and damn it all where's my working Specimen Analyzer. The one I have now is some cheap Aperture Science knockoff that doesn't even work! I want genuine Unknown Worlds approved Alterra Science gear! Ah, well... that's what we get for wanting our hands on early access prototypes...
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    I think he's a biologist or a botanist (The Martian 2 confirmed! XD)
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    I put engineer because of our ability to weld up the drive cores, but honestly I'd be okay if this was left up to us to decide. There are ways to be vague about our role, but give enough information to choose. Especially if we never see another human until our hopeful rescue.

Personally, I'd love the main character to be a scientist. Specially biologist (Marine or otherwise). :3
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2016
    I used to think we were engineer but since the devs decided to make First-Time animations for about every tools, the protagonist seems uneasy about using any advanced tools like the welder or builder at first, which makes me now think he's not an engineer. Also, given the fact that the PDA refers to us as Captain, im enclined to think we were not a passenger either otherwise it wouldnt refer to us as such. In other words, i tend to think that we were an employee of Alterra

For these reasons im thinking a member of the chain of command onboard. If every other crew members died in the crash would the AI refer to us as Captain if we were a Support member employee, an engineer or a Scientist? Maybe so i dunno.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    f06e492a052de0de5933129bb882a14801a12d535771b57bcb6828b79963ea0a.jpg

You, kind sir, has very convincing arguments! :)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    I used to think we were engineer but since the devs decided to make First-Time animations for about every tools, the protagonist seems uneasy about using any advanced tools like the welder or builder at first, which makes me now think he's not an engineer. Also, given the fact that the PDA refers to us as Captain, im enclined to think we were not a passenger either otherwise it wouldnt refer to us as such. In other words, i tend to think that we were an employee of Alterra

For these reasons im thinking a member of the chain of command onboard. If every other crew members died in the crash would the AI refer to us as Captain if we were a Support member employee, an engineer or a Scientist? Maybe so i dunno.

Actually I just got a message on the Communications Relay from the second in command saying that the captain is dead. So I'm certain we're not the captain
    Actually I just got a message on the Communications Relay from the second in command saying that the captain is dead. So I'm certain we're not the captain

I meant that we might be somewhere in the chain of command, not necessarily the captain. We could be a higher/lower officer

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I really want the protagonist to be the janitor - anyone ever play Space Quest?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Hmmm... I've yet to receive that message... are you on experimental or stable? Also that begs the immediate question - the first mate is alive to send that message?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We are probably the most unimportant crew member of the ship. All important staff members and prodigies in command probably died.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    we are probably just some random redshirt. but we could be the captain the message says
    "This is Second Officer Keen, broadcasting to all surviving Aurora crew! Captain Hollister is gone. I have assumed command. The computer has identified dry land aproximatley 750m south of the crash site. Your orders are to stay together, ensure your immediate safety, and the regroup at the attached co-ordinates. Good luck. Over and out.

he says gone not dead but since our character looks like a relatively young guy that seems unlikly
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited March 2016
    Carrying on the proud tradition of Infocom games, we are space Ensign Seventh Class, currently tasked to mop the floors but caught up in events beyond our control:

9txajqe6miqk.jpg

Seriously, the beginning of that game was "a sudden series of explosions aboard the ship sends the player scrambling for an escape pod, which eventually crash-lands on a nearby planet".

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetfall)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    We are not in a diving suit at the start. Its a multi enviroment suit. Just saying.

The computer calling us captain could be captain of just that underwater base or indeed THE captain. That blow to the head we suffered would account for memory loss and the likes quite nicely, perhaps.

Pure speculation.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    Judging by the need to scan everything, I'd go with biologist, or at least general scientist.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Merandix wrote: »
    Judging by the need to scan everything, I'd go with biologist, or at least general scientist.

But scanning everything is purely a players choice- you don't really need to scan anything but fragments (at least not yet)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    Carrying on the proud tradition of Infocom games, we are space Ensign Seventh Class, currently tasked to mop the floors but caught up in events beyond our control:

9txajqe6miqk.jpg

Seriously, the beginning of that game was "a sudden series of explosions aboard the ship sends the player scrambling for an escape pod, which eventually crash-lands on a nearby planet".

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetfall)

Now we only need a robofish or AI with a strange personality that can talk.