Glass not as transparent?

TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
Hopped back into Subnautica after not playing for a few months, and noticed the base glass is not nearly as clear as it used to be?

I vastly prefer it being more transparent, as now it seems foggy/hazy and it doesn't make the underwater world look nearly as cool from inside a base as it did previously.

Surely this isn't just my imagination?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Could be the H2O update which made the water more realistic and as a result darker
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    Probably was that update, but there used to be pretty much no difference between being outside and in the base. Now it is much brighter outside, and darker in the base. There is something different they did with the glass, and it didn't improve it IMO.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Tydal wrote: »
    Hopped back into Subnautica after not playing for a few months, and noticed the base glass is not nearly as clear as it used to be?

I vastly prefer it being more transparent, as now it seems foggy/hazy and it doesn't make the underwater world look nearly as cool from inside a base as it did previously.

Surely this isn't just my imagination?

its not just you, there is a very neat difference of transparency in the glass corridors than, say, the Observatory. heres a pic that shows the difference clearly between a glass window on a corridor and the observatory:

tuqpwxuuhlua.jpg
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    its not just you, there is a very neat difference of transparency in the glass corridors than, say, the Observatory. heres a pic that shows the difference clearly between a glass window on a corridor and the observatory:

tuqpwxuuhlua.jpg

That's probably the main issue. Some glasses are really good, while others are really bad. Maybe it's an inner light reflection issue or the glasses that have an additional interior reflection layer that cause the ill feeling. I think the interior reflection is simply too high.

Overall I like the H2O changes, but the interior glass reflections need some rework. In real world we would simply dim the inner lights to better see the outside, but the game offers no variable interior lights or reflection possibilities.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I would quite like to be able to dim the interior lights anyway, to see all of the glowing stuff in my aquariums.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah that effect really looks like the:

Oh hey there is something outside my house, but I cannot see it because the lights in the house are too damn bright.
    *turns off lights*
    Crap now I can't see
    *hits pinky toe on coffeetable*
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Yeah that effect really looks like the:

Oh hey there is something outside my house, but I cannot see it because the lights in the house are too damn bright.
    *turns off lights*
    Crap now I can't see
    *hits pinky toe on coffeetable*

Don't forget ... the cyclops cockpit:

I finally got the cyclops and this beautiful glass cockpit, so now I can strive the underwater world and see all its beauty ...

Oh, damm, someone forgot the lightswitch inside the cyclops and it's bright as daylight here ...

... writes reminder ... "as soon as the pilot enters the cockpit, the lights should dim to lowlight"
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I would quite like to be able to dim the interior lights anyway, to see all of the glowing stuff in my aquariums.

THIS. I'd give just about anything for a "light switch".
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    I think the devs are working on a way to power down your base. On trello they're working on models for it.