We need a workshop

Niel-AgiNiel-Agi Belguim Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202394Members
A workshop like cities skylines would be perfect.
Let's say you want a square room. just go in the workshop look for one somebody else made and you just download it.

Comments

• fireboy633fireboy633 america Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209279Members
    no just no that would be hard to pull off then some asshole would make guns devs are NOT alowing that
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    fireboy633 wrote: »
    no just no that would be hard to pull off then some asshole would make guns devs are NOT alowing that

They could use a whitelist though, I mean opening up the workshop is not just about "guns", which can prevented any way.

But it could open up various options to expand on the game, having more content creators create content. Heck I'm thinking:

- Scripted events, a custom story mode or just random things happening that you can explore or have to avoid
    - Special ores to be used for custom upgrades
    - Custom upgrades for your submarines
    - new submarines/boats
    - Habitat models
    - New fish/creatures
    - A fishing system

You know, stuff that UWE might want to add. But giving the options to modders to add their stuff, mod support is quite important in my book... I mean look at the nexus and all the amazing custom stuff on there for various RPG's. Workshop is just a husk of a shell compared to that and has a default max size for mod of 100Mb. But on workshop the devs have full control of what they allow modders to do. Even though modders can be quite creative and bypass things, I guess. UWE can still apply their law :tongue:
  • JYARJYAR USA Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207671Members
    I think that having a workshop in Subnautica would be great!..........Is what I want to say.

As Subnautica stands, it is still a little weak on the content. That, of course, is why it is "Early Access". There are still plenty of things that the devs have planned and are working on to add into Subnautica. Heck, you might even see a square room in the future as well.
    On the flip side, with subnautica constantly updating, making mods would be hell. Modders would not only have to figure out how to make their mod in the first place, but also fix it each time it breaks with the new update.
    Now i'm not saying that modding subnautica is a horrible idea, I'd actually love to see what the community can come up with; but until the full release of the game, I think we should wait give the devs a little more room to breathe.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    i totally hope that modding will be a thing but it is something best done after release.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Im all for mods as well (thru Steam Workshop or other sites like the Nexus)

The beauty of mods is that you can install only the stuff you judge would beneficiate your game experience: You dont like this mod? then just dont dl/install it. It literally add WORLDS of possibility to your basic gameplay experience. Of course, theres downsides to this as well. Ive found that installing multiple mods, even if done correctly, plays alot on the stability of the game itself and im not even speaking of several mods conflicting with each others that can be a nightmare to try 'n sort out.

The Devs input on modding is that they dont plan for it to be possible at least in the immediate/mid future (surely not before official release anyway) just like ''The Feature That Shall Not Be Named'' (aka multiplayer/coop) :*
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    ''The Feature That Shall Not Be Named'' (aka multiplayer/coop)

That made me laugh so hard, coffee came out of my noise. lol I love that. Can I steal it?

Modding this game would be great if the devs will allow that, The elder scrolls still lives on with modding just look at the size of the nexus. I still have and play a heavy modded Skyrim and still have Oblivion. Also Arma 2 & 3. I think modding increases the life span of a game and profits in the long run. Dayz comes to mind.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    two other good examples minecraft and sins of a solar empire. both are much bigger because of modding.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    ''The Feature That Shall Not Be Named'' (aka multiplayer/coop)

That made me laugh so hard, coffee came out of my noise. lol I love that. Can I steal it?

Modding this game would be great if the devs will allow that, The elder scrolls still lives on with modding just look at the size of the nexus. I still have and play a heavy modded Skyrim and still have Oblivion. Also Arma 2 & 3. I think modding increases the life span of a game and profits in the long run. Dayz comes to mind.

You may steal to your heart's content! :) I also do agree that mods adds alot to a game's survival in the immense world that is computer games, all the examples youve stated are accurate too. i couldnt think of skyrim now without modding it to death and i still play it. Of course, Subnautica not even being released yet as a full game, the Devs arent there yet in terms of long term thinking, but i'd really advise them to think about it more seriously in the near future.

Personally right now, id concentrate on game stability and optimization for a bit as ALOT of persons that bought their game cant even play it even if they meet minimum requirements, mainly due to videocard display problems to name only one major issue...