"Water room" instead of hatches

konbedkonbed Belgium Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214104Members
Hatches let us come in/out are base but it's unlogic. When you open hatch water should flood your base(more riscy on greater dephts cause of water presure). Why don't make a room to swim in, click switch to drain water and then come in? Vice versa the same. . .
It'll take match time to come into base so a moon pool but smaller will also be nice.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    konbed wrote: »
    Hatches let us come in/out are base but it's unlogic. When you open hatch water should flood your base(more riscy on greater dephts cause of water presure). Why don't make a room to swim in, click switch to drain water and then come in? Vice versa the same. . .
    It'll take match time to come into base so a moon pool but smaller will also be nice.

No. I don't like that idea 'cause I want Subnautica to be a really unique game, which it won't be if we start picking details from other games; you just did with SOMA. (Also, if you want to make an impression on the devs with your ideas, grammar and spelling are key!)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hatches on the bottom do make sense though. And maybe there is a force field in that hatch? :D
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2016
    Most elements are already in game:

Build a tube with a hatch and a bulkhead sealing it. The game already has a flooding and deflooding mechanism.

All that's really missing is a button to flood and pump out the water.

You might simulate that by breaching the tube with explosions from acid mushrooms or the laser cutter, then wait until the sealed tube part is flooded, enter the hatch, take the welder and seal the breach, watch the water level sink and finally open the bulkhead ...

Of course you can avoid all that by simply using the moonpool method of entering a base. Or by placing your hatches in a moonpool manner on the floor of a base module.

But I would rather like the devs to include a mechanism to flood the base with the help of a hatch. That would not only allow to get a flooding chamber, but also the ability to test your base against floodings. Is your base well fit for breaches and flooding or do you better place some additional bulkheads.

I also miss vertical bulkheads sealing ladder entries.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    Forcefield - u say... its remind me old StarWars movie :smiley:
    Just imagine - forcefield use the power... oops - our generator has malfunction - Welcomes seawater inside!!! No thanks - i love old mechanical hatches BELOW any construction - as on Cyclop - on tubes, on rooms - or an airlock with 2 doors (inner and outer) - but its bad for deep depth - better variant as on Cyclop or moonpool
  • konbedkonbed Belgium Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214104Members
    K, now I see how stupid it is.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    It's not stupid, simply make the hole in the bottom. This already exists in real life; and it's a FAR more practical way of entering and exiting an underwater habitat than the immersion breaking hatches. A hatch isn't even really necessary.

I'd love it if we would need to use an actual airlock first and could later build a mini-moon pool for entry/exit, then the large moon pool.

Airlock - very small space needed --> but it needs a little time to drain / flood before you can enter/exit. (yes, you can suffocate in the airlock)
    Mini-moon pool - Small dedicated room needed with some clearance below it --> instant entry / exit with a ladder.
    Large moon pool - current Seamoth docking.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    and what about the pressure ? If we're talking about realism :)
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    If we try to think about realism why we forget about defences and about that fact that we are on ALIEN planet with hostile surrounding. moonpool its a wide opened gate into base for any THING. At least after our Seamoth docking procedure is complete (incoming or outgoing) - some sort of doors must close behihd. in other way 'something' can access into our base through that inner "water surface" >:)
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    I would like to see cycling airlocks, they don't have to take very long with the futuristic technology. It would complicate hatches as you'd need enough space on the other side and a bulkhead door but then you have a more interesting, atmospheric and interactive base.

It's like the animations to get in and out of the life pod instead of just teleporting the player right in. Teleporting would be faster and easier to develop but would be a lesser experience.
  • notchblo2910notchblo2910 sharlston Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214317Members
    edited March 2016
    I have an idea the bulkheads should be able to be used on the exterior so there's two bulkheads and you close one the exterior door and open the interior door and it works like an airlock
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    On the forum a topic develop this idea with schema.
    Airlocks actualy use in hostile environments like a toxic atmosphere or vacuum. In our case (if talking about moonpool for Seamoth here) all what we need - just gate/door which can close behing us. And no need to complicate docking process too much.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I simulate this in my base on my primary file. I have a hatch on the front of a glass I-corridor, and on the other end of it is a bulkhead. It at least resembles an airlock of sorts.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    while i like the idea this would get old fast. having to go thru a full airlock cycle every time will be such a hassle that i would probably end up turning the moonpool in to my main entrance. but i wonder would it be possible to flood you base thru the moonpool by opening a hatch to the surface
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    ADM_Ntek wrote: »
    while i like the idea this would get old fast. having to go thru a full airlock cycle every time will be such a hassle that i would probably end up turning the moonpool in to my main entrance. but i wonder would it be possible to flood you base thru the moonpool by opening a hatch to the surface

i agree that the animation for an actual airlock would get old pretty fast. i used to be happy to see the animation for the bulkhead doors implements but after a few days i stopped closing them all the time.

I prefer entering through the moonpool and made that my main choice.

The flooding mechanism isn't too well implemented and I've seen water rise beyond an open bulkhead, where it should have poured through, so even if it would be possible to open a hatch to the surface, I doubt the programming would rise the water level based on that. But you might test two moonpools connected to a base at very different heights an therefore different pressure levels fixed to a single air pressure level, which should be impossible on a physical level. I'd guess the game engine won't care and most people wouldn't even realize what's wrong.
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    i agree that the animation for an actual airlock would get old pretty fast. i used to be happy to see the animation for the bulkhead doors implements but after a few days i stopped closing them all the time.

They should've used automatic bulkhead doors as an advanced version that closes in case of water breaches and opens if everything is clear again. They should also have allowed to flood a base by opening a hatch. Then, together with an auto-bulkhead, we could activate the hatch, see water flooding in as the bulkhead closes behind us, exit the base when flooded, later come back to the flooded part, activate the hatch from the inside again and wait until the water is out and the bulkhead starts opening ... finished. Is that really too much to ask or such a hassle? So all we need besides an auto-bulkhead would be to leave a section flooded if the player is ouside the base and leave it unflooded if the player is inside the base, thus needing only half the floodings. The artificial flooding could be far quicker than flooding through breaches, which is very slow.

Which brings me to the next issue. Flooding a base could be fun if it would be allowed to flood through a hatch. And I miss a vertical bulkhead. Normally ships have those vertical seals, but the game is missing that. The game is also missing the ability to stack round rooms to a large vertical round shaft that would create a big water tank, and creatures could swim through flooded parts of a base from one section to another. Maybe it would be easy to transfer creatures from one aquarium to another through a flooded base tube system. I think in real life sealife animals can swim from one basin to another through tunnels, so why not in this game if almost everything is already in the game?
    zetachron wrote: »

I prefer entering through the moonpool and made that my main choice.

The flooding mechanism isn't too well implemented and I've seen water rise beyond an open bulkhead, where it should have poured through, so even if it would be possible to open a hatch to the surface, I doubt the programming would rise the water level based on that. But you might test two moonpools connected to a base at very different heights an therefore different pressure levels fixed to a single air pressure level, which should be impossible on a physical level. I'd guess the game engine won't care and most people wouldn't even realize what's wrong.
    Rainstorm wrote: »

They should've used automatic bulkhead doors as an advanced version that closes in case of water breaches and opens if everything is clear again. They should also have allowed to flood a base by opening a hatch. Then, together with an auto-bulkhead, we could activate the hatch, see water flooding in as the bulkhead closes behind us, exit the base when flooded, later come back to the flooded part, activate the hatch from the inside again and wait until the water is out and the bulkhead starts opening ... finished. Is that really too much to ask or such a hassle? So all we need besides an auto-bulkhead would be to leave a section flooded if the player is ouside the base and leave it unflooded if the player is inside the base, thus needing only half the floodings. The artificial flooding could be far quicker than flooding through breaches, which is very slow.

Which brings me to the next issue. Flooding a base could be fun if it would be allowed to flood through a hatch. And I miss a vertical bulkhead. Normally ships have those vertical seals, but the game is missing that. The game is also missing the ability to stack round rooms to a large vertical round shaft that would create a big water tank, and creatures could swim through flooded parts of a base from one section to another. Maybe it would be easy to transfer creatures from one aquarium to another through a flooded base tube system. I think in real life sealife animals can swim from one basin to another through tunnels, so why not in this game if almost everything is already in the game?

auto bulkheads would be nice maybe as part of an emergency responds system with sprinklers against fires. and a bulk head to separate floors is a must.
    N9ks1MLS.jpg

a rough idea how a ladder bulkhead could work.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    Love how someone said this idea was ripping off SOMA XD Like seriously dude? This exact suggestion exists in REAL LIFE. But on-topic. I completely agree. I want a chamber, as opposed to hatches.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Love how someone said this idea was ripping off SOMA XD Like seriously dude? This exact suggestion exists in REAL LIFE.

It would exist in real life if seabases exist in real life. Tho only way to proove me wrong is to post a non-photoshopped real picture below. Then I'll believe you.
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    A small airlock with a quick animation would more than suffice for realism.
    Love how someone said this idea was ripping off SOMA XD Like seriously dude? This exact suggestion exists in REAL LIFE.

It would exist in real life if seabases exist in real life. Tho only way to proove me wrong is to post a non-photoshopped real picture below. Then I'll believe you.

Aquarius_exterior_%28whole%29.jpg

Aquarius Seabase has an airlock as well as a moon pool. IRL it's necessary so that divers can adjust to pressure changes.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited March 2016

Aquarius Seabase has an airlock as well as a moon pool. IRL it's necessary so that divers can adjust to pressure changes.

Not really. Airlocks allow divers to enter and exit the base without having to flood the entire structure to equalize the water pressure acting on an external hatch. A moonpool requires a slightly higher internal atmospheric pressure than the water pressure outside. That's what prevents the base from flooding. You'll usually find that there's an airlock connecting the moonpool with the main base structure. Generally used as a safety measure to prevent the base from flooding, either by hull damage or an accidental decrease in atmospheric pressure inside the base.

Divers only need to 'adjust to pressure changes' during the ascent, descent and decompression phases of the dive. Ascent and descent requires the diver to perform gentle 'ear-pops' to equalize pressure on the eardrum and sinuses.

Decompression is a more complex routine involving timed stops made at specific depths during a staged ascent, allowing dissolved nitrogen to safely leave the diver's bloodstream. Requires reference to specially-formulated tables that calculate these DC stops according to the time spent at a particular depth.

You know that the game has no pressure mechanics right now. The flooding mechanism isn't even correct in pathfinding, so we can watch water blocked in mid air. On top of that it's possible to build a moonpool high above water level and still see "magic" moonpool water in the moonpool floating in mid air.

So unless the devs don't do some air and water pressure physics, the moonpool solution is as good as a "water room" or "airlock" or any self made flooding chamber, because every solution is physical incorrect without the right pressure programming.

We could have 2 possible solutions:
    • advanced bulkheads and hatches that control flooding and air pressure levels and allow automatic sealing in case of breaches. Then you only need such a bulkhead and hatch in a tube to get a quick flood chamber.
    • a small special module that can act as a decompression and flooding chamber, that connects two different environments in a compact way.
    or we could just go the force field route i read somewhere that the aurora had shields so they must have the tech. sure this doesn't help with the pressure situation but it could explain the lack of airlocks.
    Ok then, how about this? (original discussion here)
    the hatch room that appears when hatch is build on a room should also come with a bulkhead to make it seem more realistic

ne368r0bch1z.jpg
    e6g7qxydvnjl.jpg

t9zj28oqybr5.jpg

and when placed any ware in a corridor it automatically adds a bulkhead requiring that the corridor is attached to something like another corridor or multipurpose room and not a T or an X corridor

to make things more realistic the bulkhead to the airlock can be auto closing with the player having to wait for the water to fill the airlock before entering from outside, and waiting inside the airlock for it to fill with water before leaving it to go outside with the exception that it is in the floor or bottom of the corridor.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members

Rekt, and it wasn't even me that did it.
    or we could just go the force field route i read somewhere that the aurora had shields so they must have the tech. sure this doesn't help with the pressure situation but it could explain the lack of airlocks.

It would be a little inconsistant to have an old fashioned manual bulkhead and a force field solution. Then I'd rather prefer a special module solution.
    zetachron wrote: »

It would be a little inconsistant to have an old fashioned manual bulkhead and a force field solution. Then I'd rather prefer a special module solution.

not necessarily force fields need power bulkheads don´t. plus they are higher level tech that would be more expensive.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I assume there is a water emancipation grid over the hatch, it not the first time the devs have ripped of a valve game feature lol.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Manually operated airlock doors do exist in real life. Absolutely no need to involve super-science and force fields here.
    Simple physical principles work just fine as they are.

Not a huge fan of purely automatic doors, unless there's a manual over-ride to relieve the pressure on the other side of the door.

Of course, without a fully functional pressure mechanic in the game, this discussion is entirely moot. ;)
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Manually operated airlock doors do exist in real life. Absolutely no need to involve super-science and force fields here.
    Simple physical principles work just fine as they are.

Not a huge fan of purely automatic doors, unless there's a manual over-ride to relieve the pressure on the other side of the door.

Of course, without a fully functional pressure mechanic in the game, this discussion is entirely moot. ;)

"super science force fields" dude it is a sci fic game were you assemble buildings with some sort of energy beam but force fields are to much.