Update 291 Released - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 291 Released - Natural Selection 2

Update 291 was just released! Update 291 adds a brand new training mode to the game called “Hive Challenges”. You can find it at the Training Menu. Try your best...

Read the full story here

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, add multiplayer mode to that training and you'll get a survival coop mode! Sounds interesting even for veterans I hope.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    So that's why everything was so quiet about that challenge mod!

1. Check points are nice, but it would be even better if we could skip straight to them once we unlocked them - the first 10 waves aren't all that hard as a fade. It gets a lot more interesting after that.
    2. This is really fricking hard as lerk.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Congrats on the release, everyone!

I was tempted not to offer congratulations, as successful releases are becoming commonplace enough now so as to almost feel routine. That in and of itself is AWESOME. Keep up the good work.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    How can I invite a friend to play Hive Challenge with me?
    I've forwarded ports 27015/16, but it doesn't work.

Okay, doesn't work.
    It would be funny if Biomass did go up by 1 each wave.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hamlet wrote: »
    How can I invite a friend to play Hive Challenge with me?
    I've forwarded ports 27015/16, but it doesn't work.

Okay, doesn't work.
    It would be funny if Biomass did go up by 1 each wave.

Hive challenge is a singleplayer gamemode.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Editor
    Texture lock has been massively improved. Textures shouldn’t become misaligned anymore.
    Flipping faces now preserves texture mapping.
    The flip command now works correctly with props.
    The skybox is no longer visible in the Top, Front, and Side views.

Intriguing
    Builder utility is now limited to a single running instance at a time

Still that bastard keeps hiding in the system tray hmm :trollface:
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2016
    how many developers is working on ns2 right now? i just need to know so i can kill them for the recently added achievement
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Join Tactical Freedom and flash Iron's lerk, my Fade, or Beige's shotguns. That's the best place for that. It'd be cool to have more challenge maps: like Nanogrid as a marine against skulks.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Okay so, i can get to wave 13 during the Lerk Challenge, but how about you give us some damn umbra? i'm sorry that i can't kill marines with such little health, with no umbra, and if i get too close i get ripped to shreds right away. Little help please?

Alright, made it to level 25... i'm happy.

Side note: How about you change it to saying "Lerk and hive healed" instead of still "Fade and hive healed" when playing as a lerk, Hmmm? Silly coders.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    navazka wrote: »
    Challenges are really cool, awesome update! However, I'd recommend to change some things:
    * The purpose is to allow people to train, so don't include demotivating mechanics like resetting you several waves down on death. That doesn't really help people in training, it's just irritating to repeat the easier waves again and again and then die at one hard waves (before another checkpoint). Get rid of checkpoints, let people repeat the same wave immediately.
    * Allow people to skip to a certain wave right from the beginning, without grinding through the easy ones. If somebody is good enough to fight 5 marines at a time, let him do that without spending 10 minutes first getting there.
    * The waves seem to get hard very fast. A slower progression would be nice (combined with the previous point, there's nothing to be afraid of). With fade, wave 8 (I think) was quite OK, but I always died at wave 9. The difficulty spiked too fast (and due to the first point, I felt demotivated to repeat too many times, because I had to grind through wave 5 up every time).
    * Maybe allow a custom wave to be created? Define number of marines, their weapons, their AI difficulty (aiming precision).

And of course, I want more!
    * Include all lifeforms? Skulk is a no brainer, but training as a battle gorge is interesting as well. And it's invaluable for rookies to see how fast Onos's life goes down when targeted by several marines at once.
    * Include ability to mutate traits. It would be great to be able to try different trait builds and see what works best for me.
    * Include the challenges even for marines? That would be great for training your aim.

But overall, a great job. Thanks. Higher lifeform training is definitely something that will help rookies (and me as well), because they usually don't have many options to learn them (they die shortly after they mutate into them).

I love this guy, everytime he comments he has constructive criticism and his common sense & logic game is strong, can we invite him to be part of playtesting team and be done with it already?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I love this guy, everytime he comments he has constructive criticism and his common sense & logic game is strong, can we invite him to be part of playtesting team and be done with it already?
    Some of it was actually mentioned during PT yesterday :P Not that I'm against him joining PT. In fact we'd like to have more people in PT!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Syknik wrote: »
    Side note: How about you change it to saying "Lerk and hive healed" instead of still "Fade and hive healed" when playing as a lerk, Hmmm? Silly coders.

D'oh! Completely forgot about that one!
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    edited March 2016
    Unfortunately I'd have no time for that, but thanks :blush:
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Its really flexible @navazka I personally think NS2 would really benefit from your input as all of it has been good common sense answers @Foxy can you chime in and fill him in on the details to see if that will tickle his pickle, do your damn job haha
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The irony here is that this is what Combat did: allowed players to practice with various lifeforms/upgrades. The only big features Hive Challenges doesn't have (that Combat had) are multiplayer and playing as Marines.
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    edited March 2016
    Its really flexible @navazka I personally think NS2 would really benefit from your input as all of it has been good common sense answers @Foxy can you chime in and fill him in on the details to see if that will tickle his pickle, do your damn job haha

It's still no, thanks though. I'll keep posting feedback to forums and userreport when I have some useful ideas.

That brings me to a question - is someone good with a lerk/fade willing to record how they managed to complete the high wave tiers (e.g. wave 15 and up)? It would be very useful for less experienced players to see how to control lerk/fade efficiently, dodge, etc. I'd love to watch that. And maybe NS2 devs could then link to it on their YouTube channel, or even put a few links into the game itself (for example a note somewhere when starting Hive Challenges or when you die: "see how good players handle this - click here") leading to those videos, or maybe a wiki page with links to such videos, etc. It would help people to learn higher lifeform movement and tactics.

If there are such videos somewhere out there already, I can't find them :)
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm really enjoying all these changes. The game needed a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to try this on the weekend!
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

cc @Asraniel ;)

European playtests are held on a Monday and Wednesday at 8pm GMT/9pm CET and usually run about an hour, we welcome applications from anyone, especially those like yourself that offer good feedback and ideas! We are very interested for anyone who plays NS2 on a linux distribution too! PT Application form is here: http://tinyurl.com/ns2ptlink
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Well it looks like B291 has killed the game for me. The main menu takes twice as long to load (and I'm presented with a white screen for a few moments upon startup each time) and after a short time playing it locks up and I have to alt f4 (or it locks up the entire PC)... Followed each time with a "your display driver has stopped working and recovered" message.

At first I thought it was a sign that my gfx card was starting to go, but after almost a week now of playing various other games in my library I have no problems whatsoever. Less than 5 minutes back in NS2 and it starts to lock up.

I also noticed during one of the crashes that it was spamming some sort of error message in the console, but I was unable to get a screenshot of it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @MoFo1 Start a techsupport thread including your techsupport.exe generated zip file, or attach the same in our discord server while talking with us.
    It obviously sounds like a gfx driver issue - have you updated it recently? There's a chance that a recent driver broke the game for you. (wouldn't be the first time this has happened)
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Well it looks like B291 has killed the game for me. The main menu takes twice as long to load (and I'm presented with a white screen for a few moments upon startup each time) and after a short time playing it locks up and I have to alt f4 (or it locks up the entire PC)... Followed each time with a "your display driver has stopped working and recovered" message.

At first I thought it was a sign that my gfx card was starting to go, but after almost a week now of playing various other games in my library I have no problems whatsoever. Less than 5 minutes back in NS2 and it starts to lock up.

I also noticed during one of the crashes that it was spamming some sort of error message in the console, but I was unable to get a screenshot of it.

I'd try 2 things initially, make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date and disable any antivirus you have running.

Its also worth properly cleaning old graphics drivers up, I used this: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and it worked great for me when I was getting odd graphical glitches and display driver hanging after updating from Win 8 to Win 10.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    MoFo1 wrote: »

You can always check your logfile in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/
    Thats slightly easier than to make a screenshot ;)
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Challenges are really cool, awesome update! However, I'd recommend to change some things:
    * The purpose is to allow people to train, so don't include demotivating mechanics like resetting you several waves down on death. That doesn't really help people in training, it's just irritating to repeat the easier waves again and again and then die at one of the hard waves (before another checkpoint). Get rid of checkpoints, let people repeat the same wave immediately.
    * Allow people to skip to a certain wave right from the beginning, without grinding through the easy ones. If somebody is good enough to fight 5 marines at a time, let him do that without spending 10 minutes first getting there.
    * The waves seem to get hard very fast. A slower progression would be nice (combined with the previous point, there's nothing to be afraid of). With fade, wave 8 (I think) was quite OK, but I always died at wave 9. The difficulty spiked too fast (and due to the first point, I felt demotivated to repeat too many times, because I had to grind through wave 5 up every time).
    * Maybe allow a custom wave to be created? Define number of marines, their weapons, their AI difficulty (aiming precision).

And of course, I want more!
    * Include all lifeforms? Skulk is a no brainer, but training as a battle gorge is interesting as well. And it's invaluable for rookies to see how fast Onos's life goes down when targeted by several marines at once.
    * Include ability to mutate traits. It would be great to be able to try different trait builds and see what works best for me.
    * Include the challenges even for marines? That would be great for training your aim.

But overall, a great job. Thanks. Higher lifeform training is definitely something that will help rookies (and me as well), because they usually don't have many options to learn them (they die shortly after they mutate into them).

Nailed, nailed and nailed !