NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Thanks @mendasp, looks wonderful
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Mendasp
    I bet if dynamically colored repair icons were defaulted to on then a lot more people would weld us
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    mattji104 wrote: »
    @Mendasp
    I bet if dynamically colored repair icons were defaulted to on then a lot more people would weld us

It is defaulted to on.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Mendasp wrote: »
    @Mendasp

It is defaulted to on.

Wow, people are really bad at welding after 1000s of hours. It's pretty crazy
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Frozen wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »
    @Mendasp

It is defaulted to on.

Wow, people are really bad at welding after 1000s of hours. It's pretty crazy

They are also bad at buying welders in the first place.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Frozen
    Spam "need weld" audio and faceroll them while spamming your flashlight. There's no amount of color that can fix obliviousness of those levels.
    I usually start of welding the air around them calmly asking for welds while they're not occupied with other things. Then that grows into shouting their name for welds.

Then I die to a fade after two swipes and they're all "wtf where were you guys" and I'm all "stfu its your fault we all died with armor"

And I only play gathers and no rookies captains at this point.

It's the fact that people do nothing in place of welding eachother that gets me. If you're not actively dealing pdmg or sdmg, solo capping, building, or welding you're doing something wrong lol. Lane blockers can still weld
  • videoPvideoP Join Date: 2014-04-06 Member: 195209Members
    edited December 2015
    Perhaps for the end of round team stats for marines, "build time" could be replaced with "welding amount", which would be a count of how much armor you give teammates with the welder (players only, not structures). this seems more useful in general and could also incentivize welding.

Similarly, you could also replace "build time" on the aliens with "heal amount", which would be a count of all the health/armor you gave teammates with gorge spray. Again, it seems more useful information in general and would incentivize healing teammates.

Personally, I wish you could weld yourself (at maybe 20% the rate at which you could weld teammates). It would still reward the so called "teamwork" since welding each other is more effective, but it wouldn't completely cripple you if you are playing with bad players. But I guess thats not in the scope of this mod.

... Tbh there are a lot of things (like welding) in the game which I think are not well suited for pub servers, though they work fine for comp/high level play I guess. For example, marine beaconing and possibly medpack/ammo drops. From a game design perspective, theres no real reason why beaconing should be so crucial since it doesn't really require any skill (no, it doesn't require awareness either since in pubs the team is usually already vocally aware of the need to beacon). At least dropping medpack/ammo has some executional skill, which is perhaps its only redeemable point.

Inb4 "people should just get better at commanding". Yeah the game has been out for 3 years and its still a problem, thats not going to happen. /end of rant. sorry, it started out ontopic though.
  • WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    videoP wrote: »
    ... Tbh there are a lot of things (like welding) in the game which I think are not well suited for pub servers, though they work fine for comp/high level play I guess. For example, marine beaconing and possibly medpack/ammo drops. From a game design perspective, theres no real reason why beaconing should be so crucial since it doesn't really require any skill (no, it doesn't require awareness either since in pubs the team is usually already vocally aware of the need to beacon). At least dropping medpack/ammo has some executional skill, which is perhaps its only redeemable point.

Inb4 "people should just get better at commanding". Yeah the game has been out for 3 years and its still a problem, thats not going to happen. /end of rant. sorry, it started out ontopic though.

The game was balanced and made for 9v9. And at one point it was also normal to have 18 players server. However, now that is rare and 20+ servers is common.
    Meanwhile we have CompMod that rebalances the game for 6v6. So of course there are things in the game that break. And the game itself feels different depending on how many players there are on the server, and how good they are.
  • videoPvideoP Join Date: 2014-04-06 Member: 195209Members
    Woehler wrote: »
    ...So of course there are things in the game that break

Right... but the welding/medding/beaconing issues still exist in 9v9 pubs. Those don't get affected by teamsize really. Furthermore, if the devs want to bring people back to NS2 (which they seemingly do, from the emails and their own return), they should be designing around the current state of the game or trying to change the current state of the game.

I really enjoy compmod btw, its a shame hardly any pub servers use the pub friendly version of it.
    Woehler wrote: »
    And the game itself feels different depending on how many players there are on the server, and how good they are.

Yep, which is why I said the game design works better for comp/high level play. But maybe not so much for the majority of pubs.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Hi. Those are things I already thought about and were planned for the mod, along with other improvements to the stats during the game and at round end, but the mod is only receiving maintenance updates at the moment, no new features.

You can find the reason for this here.

Also, this topic is about NS2+ and not CompMod or the game balance, if you want to discuss balance the new dev team has threads and platforms for talking about that.
    Request for future feature addition plans list integration:

1. Add weapon statistics for damage tanked with bone shield and with umbra
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    You're an amazing person, @Mendasp .
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Played around with the AV settings. It's a really nice feature!

Any chance of getting support for the accurate bite range in the NS2+ version of cr4zy AV?
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the merge Mendasp :p

Here's a vid overview of the AV
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Played around with the AV settings. It's a really nice feature!

Any chance of getting support for the accurate bite range in the NS2+ version of cr4zy AV?

@xDragon made the bite aid into a separate shader so it wouldn't be tied to any specific AV, so that could potentially make it into NS2+, but only if he wanted, of course.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited January 2016
    The NSL servers aren't always blue in the server browser. When my server was white I restarted it and it showed up as blue after that. Right now there are some white servers that were blue earlier today. I restarted my client twice and the same servers were still white.

Screenshot of server browser.
    edited January 2016
    If it doesn't show up blue it's because the tag isn't there, there's no problems on the NS2+ end of things, I went to the server browser and printed the tags for each server and here's what the ones that showed up in white for me when I tested showed:

ENSL.org | Dallas Gather #2 | by Kaneh
    CHUD_0x0

ENSL.org | NL Comp #1 | Wraith hosted by Furs
    ServerTickrate40
    CHUD_0x0

ENSL.org | Toronto Gather #1 | by Kaneh
    tickrate_49
    CHUD_0x0

These are all the tags they return, so obviously they won't show up blue as they don't have the tags that make them show up blue... not sure how the config looks like for them, but it's not a bug on my side. This is why I suggested just adding it from the mod side of things (by detecting NSL mod running, or the NSL mod adding the tag directly) instead of manually, but apparently it was preferred for server ops to add the tags this way.
    I haven't removed the nsl tag. Could it be that the server isn't always reporting the tag?
    edited January 2016
    It could be a problem with how the tags from the server config are loaded in vanilla, have you tried just having a single tag in that field and see if that works more consistently? Can you paste how that section of the config looks like for you?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the merge mendasp. This is one of the best parts of ns2+ now. Great work @Cr4zyb4st4rd
    edited January 2016
    Sure:
    "tags":["nsl"],

I've never had more than one tag.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    NSL mod also adds the tag at this point.
    Pretty sure its a bug in vanilla where all the tags don't get transmitted or something.. idk

You can add the bite aids, I just didn't want it usable in matches.
    I've made the NSL server tagging automatic, which hopefully means it will work 100% of the time now.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    wait.. crazy's is not in NS2+?
    Must..go...look
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think there is no need to show two digits after the decimal point in game stats, isn't it? Only complicates the perception.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is low lights options missing from ns2+ now?

The problem that I have, is that using minimal alien vision is too dark with atmospherics territories mod.
    The only work around is to use something like fanta vision style. Or using cra4zys options to setup "alien vision style" to "original" and play with some values.

And speaking of aliens vision, the default one has some kind of radial fog that makes it worse in dark places with the mod :(
    Low lights option is in vanilla, in the graphics tab. If you mean NSL lights, that was renamed to high performance lights.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Walsa wrote: »
    And speaking of aliens vision, the default one has some kind of radial fog that makes it worse in dark places with the mod :(

Yeah, I need to look into that. This iteration of AV wasn't designed for dark rooms like you see with the atmos mod.