[Linux] Game stopped working on Debian Stretch

antsinpantsantsinpants Join Date: 2016-02-23 Member: 213367Members
edited February 2016 in Technical Support
As title says - I cannot run NS2 anymore under upgraded Debian Stretch.
As far as can see, the problem is related to libawesomium library depending on old libraries. I tried symlinking newer libraries - some worked but it stops on libgcrypt:
./ns2_linux32: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.11: version `GCRYPT_1.2' not found (required by /media/lin/Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/libawesomium-1-7.so.4)

I also tried replacing libawesomium-1-7.so.4 with libawesomium-1-7.so.5.0 downloaded from awesomium website but no luck so far.

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • antsinpantsantsinpants Join Date: 2016-02-23 Member: 213367Members
    edited February 2016
    remi wrote: »

Thanks for reply but that's a totally different error. Mine doesn't start at all. It's a dependency problem. You should either provide all libraries that libawesomium depends on or ask awesomium to compile it against newer libraries.

Looks like NS2 is not the only app having this problem:
    http://answers.awesomium.com/questions/6632/please-recompile-libawesomium-1-7so50-for-modern-l.html
    Any ideas guys? I cannot play NS2 anymore :(
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    My dependency problems with pulse and alsa got resolved by editing the launch options for NS2 in steam. Try that:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" %command%

Nope, it's not that problem. It tries to load older libraries than the ones I have.
    You could of course download the old packages, compile them and but them either in the Ns2 or the Steam lib folder.
    Or you switch distros... Had to do it twice now to keep Ns2 running. I highly recommend Manjaro. It's awesome.

But, sorry, other than that I have no solution to offer... One could mention again, that the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS update (and with it probably Mint) will break the game for the platform it is supposed to run on and hope that a dev reads this and finally fixes it...
    Yes, that seems to be the situation :(
    Unfortunately NS2 devs picked a proprietary library "libawesomium" that is neglected by its devs.

Since I am going to do a fresh system install soon, I am thinking of switching back to Debian Jessie, will see if that helps.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    mock wrote: »
    You could of course download the old packages, compile them and but them either in the Ns2 or the Steam lib folder.
    Or you switch distros... Had to do it twice now to keep Ns2 running. I highly recommend Manjaro. It's awesome.

But, sorry, other than that I have no solution to offer... One could mention again, that the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS update (and with it probably Mint) will break the game for the platform it is supposed to run on and hope that a dev reads this and finally fixes it...

I'm currently running on Ubuntu 16.04 Beta, no problem yet. Maybe the packages required aren't yet updated.
    Strange... when I unpated to Kubuntu 16.04 beta, the sound stopped working once again. I assumed Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the same versions for alsa and pulse?
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2016
    mock wrote: »
    Strange... when I unpated to Kubuntu 16.04 beta, the sound stopped working once again. I assumed Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the same versions for alsa and pulse?

They do, yes. I only had sound problems once on Sunday (I think), after I had to restart the game because of a mapchange. [if a mapchange occurs, the game drops down to ~15 FPS, after a restart everything is fine. Guess there is some memory leakage going on]

To get sound again, I had to restart Steam and NS2 a few times until it came back. NS2 didn't 'register' with PulseAudio for some reason, but after the 3rd or 4th restart it worked again.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Today or yesterday Steam updated their runtime and particularly updated libasound.so and now I can run NS2 without symlinking that lib from the system. See if your problem is resolved now.
    rkfg, is your Debian Stretch up to date?
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, I'm updating it occasionally. Your error says that the game uses system libraries and not the steam ones. Maybe you've added some startup params and forgot about them? Just in case.