No more NS2+??

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Yaluzan wrote: »
    Regarding playercounts, our most active days are saturday/sunday.
    Saturday Feb 27th: 718 peak
    Sunday Feb 28th: 732 peak

Now to Saturday and Sunday night from last weekend.
    Saturday, March 5: 582 peak (With the tournament on that night)
    Sunday, March 6th: 599 peak

I'd say its a pretty big decrease in players.

Our numbers were unexpectedly high on the weekend of 27/28th Feb due to 2 things that weekend:

1) We implemented Steam achievements
    2) We sent out a NS2 email newsletter to over 100,000 people about our latest patch.

This is why your analysis of lowering player numbers is invalid due to lack of info. A better look would be during the previous week before where nothing happened:

20th Feb - 562 Peak
    21st Feb - 614 Peak

Well within regular player base fluctuations. No real decrease.

If your numbers were unexpectedly high due to a NS2 email newsletter and steam achievements... then isn't it a bit unusual for them to already be back down to "normal" only one week later?

Especially when you take into consideration that you only got a peak of 582 on March 5th and that was with a tournament... Was there a tournament on the 20th of feb?

• TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Tournament doesn't mean more players. Some will wach the games on streams and not play in the mean time (40 people watching 12 players + 3 ref/casters)
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    I'd get sick of modding for a game that sells skins too.

I'd get sick of a game using mods to fluff their game.

I do think ns2+ limits modders and a sense of unity in this broken community.

Such seems stupid considering the roots of UWE.

Rappid Iteration seems to be another limit to progress, and I hope that's old news.

I'm a 3k hour player and the truth is not anywhere. Shit just happens.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Our numbers were unexpectedly high on the weekend of 27/28th Feb due to 2 things that weekend:

2) We sent out a NS2 email newsletter to over 100,000 people about our latest patch.

This is why your analysis of lowering player numbers is invalid due to lack of info. A better look would be during the previous week before where nothing happened:

20th Feb - 562 Peak
    21st Feb - 614 Peak

If your numbers were unexpectedly high due to a NS2 email newsletter and steam achievements... then isn't it a bit unusual for them to already be back down to "normal" only one week later?

Especially when you take into consideration that you only got a peak of 582 on March 5th and that was with a tournament... Was there a tournament on the 20th of feb?

nah it's quite easy to explain: People got the newsletter/saw the achievements, went online, played a few rounds, at some point got forced into an Alien team, found out that Mech units and Flamethrowers are too hard to fight against compared to how easy it is to get them/use them and went away again.

And to be honest, I still have no clue how to kill a Mech, well aside from mass-feeding the player controlling it until that thing explodes. I thought that Onos would be the counter, but an Onos is a fucking joke compared to a Mech.

And by the time you finally kill the Mech, there are two new Mechs. And Artillery killing your hive.

Or in other words: The game has a high learning curve and the tools to help you deal with it aren't adequate or even there. Combined with the amount of bugs (that are known) and things that seem more like an annoyance than a neccessary balance (marines walking slow when going back, alien bites only 'hitting' when the enemy is directly in front of you) it's just not worth most peoples time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Loki wrote: »
    so while we are picking random numbers, yaluzan is saying it took dragon and mendasp to remove 136players...

Derelict came out and clearly I alone killed 109 players.......

Thursday july 30th - 446 players
    Thursday Aug 6th - 337 players

also

NS2 now has more players than evolve!... so much for this dead game of ours

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/273350,4920#7d

:trollface:

Screw you especially Loki :D

tuxator wrote: »

20th Feb - 562 Peak
    21st Feb - 614 Peak

nah it's quite easy to explain: People got the newsletter/saw the achievements, went online, played a few rounds, at some point got forced into an Alien team, found out that Mech units and Flamethrowers are too hard to fight against compared to how easy it is to get them/use them and went away again.

And to be honest, I still have no clue how to kill a Mech, well aside from mass-feeding the player controlling it until that thing explodes. I thought that Onos would be the counter, but an Onos is a fucking joke compared to a Mech.

And by the time you finally kill the Mech, there are two new Mechs. And Artillery killing your hive.

Bilbomb the "Mech" and Gorge heal support your Onos more

Onos is a crowd controlling hit and run beast, not a tank. I can understand the confusion, because it looks like a tank but is rather squishy if you use it as such WITHOUT SUPPORT :D
    edited March 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Bilbomb the "Mech" and Gorge heal support your Onos more

Onos is a crowd controlling hit and run beast, not a tank. I can understand the confusion, because it looks like a tank but is rather squishy if you use it as such WITHOUT SUPPORT :D

I started to realize it after my previous game, but it took a long time to learn that Onos != Tank. Thank's for the Bilebomb tip, I think I only ever saw that researched once or twice, seems underrated.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    edited March 2016

20th Feb - 562 Peak
    21st Feb - 614 Peak

By your own argument, your numbers are flawed as well, because it ignores the weeks of progress you guys have made to try and increase players numbers.

Using player numbers as a metric to measure the impact of this event is naive.
    -Vanilla tournament for 2 days
    -Many players choosing to play NS2c and other mods

I will have meaningful numbers soon.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well gathers had been going pretty strong on a daily basis. Last one was on Saturday.

If anything, it's nice to get back to real life for a change. Ah, remembering life before ns2...
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Well, its simple really... after you put in thousands upon thousands of hours into a game, you tend to be more passionate and vocal than the people that maybe put a few hundred hours in... you're more heavily invested emotionally as well as because of time spent playing than a casual player.

Don't mistake the passion of a player that cares about making a game great with the whining of an elitist not getting his way... they are far from being the same thing.

Its kinda funny that you explain this to me, cause i think im a very passionate player.

Cant count the hrs where was testing stuff for Andi (sewlek) before he was hired by UWE back in the beta.
    Cant count the error logs and ideas i send to person888 (Author of shine) You cant imagine how many shine-features are based on my ideas.
    I was hosting one of the best servers for around 3,5 years (HBZ)
    Founder, member and Leader of HBZ for over 3,5 years. No other team existed nearly that long.

But it looks im not passionate enough to understand the drama, sorry about that.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You just need to wait when Mendasp monthly period ends
    Nordic wrote: »
    @tuxator, I understand your frustration but as an experienced player it is far from the truth. Mechs and flamethrowers are considered some of the weakest and least used marine technology. They are extremely easy to counter.

I know that. But as a rookie, I'm not getting it. And I've been following this game for some time (mainly because my system always had some issue with the game, as of now the most serious once got fixed).

Anyway, wrong topic for that.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2016
    migalski wrote: »
    Mige wrote: »

Instead of waiting for a modder to put up his mod back up for free why don't you demand Uwe to actually put the mod in the base game? It should already be in vanilla and its a joke that it's not.
    And game were already dying when you joined here (Before NS2WC people were quitting but that tournament saved many players). Go ahead demand more from UWE but don't dream too much. I will demand NS1 HD version (NS2c from dragon if you didn't know that).... From UWE not by mod but that's a dream which never come true

I don't need to say obvious reasons like some new amurican nsl player.
    Btw. its interisting that i never heard person8880 (Author of shine) complaining or raging or that people made a drama that shine isnt part of vanilla.
    And im sure shine is more important to NS2 than NSL-mod for example cause its affects all servers.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Instead of waiting for a modder to put up his mod back up for free why don't you demand Uwe to actually put the mod in the base game? It should already be in vanilla and its a joke that it's not.
    And game were already dying when you joined here (Before NS2WC people were quitting but that tournament saved many players). Go ahead demand more from UWE but don't dream too much. I will demand NS1 HD version (NS2c from dragon if you didn't know that)

Its almost as if a competitive tournament stopped playing from quiting... hmmm, the same competitive scene that is now in turmoil without the mods that make the game playable at the competitive level. If dragon removed nsl mod and comp mod whats stopping him from removing ns2c? If modders won't fix the problems with the game, then Uwe should, like they should have in the first place. Dragon won't listen to demands, why should he? He's doing this for free, Uwe receives money from every purchase, maybe they would listen to those who give them money if they actually spoke up about the state of the game? idk man it seems like rocket science no?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    But shine also doesn't use the lua codebase, it is a standalone application. As a result it doesn't require anywhere near the level of maintenance a lua based mod does.

And none of the mod authors are raging about not being in vanilla, why can't you get your head around that?

Have you not read the only posts that matter in this thread, those made by the modders this whole discussion is about.
    edited March 2016
    @Soul_Rider
    If none of the mod authors are raging about not being in vanilla, why we have post like this then?

And this post is only a example.
    It looks like the modders and the players want different things here.
    Moultano nailed it :
    http://giphy.com/gifs/night-thursday-ritual-E87jjnSCANThe
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You specifically gave an example of a mod author not requesting for his mod being put into the game.

migalski is not the author of NS2+

As I said, none of the Mod Authors. That is an idea from the community.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    But shine also doesn't use the lua codebase, it is a standalone application. As a result it doesn't require anywhere near the level of maintenance a lua based mod does.

And none of the mod authors are raging about not being in vanilla, why can't you get your head around that?

Have you not read the only posts that matter in this thread, those made by the modders this whole discussion is about.

This shouldn't have to be about that, basic features in ns2+ should at least be in the base game, if not all of them at least things such as accuracy, commander res, scoreboard at the end etc. We as a community rely on the modders to be able to see information when really any other fps game has it by default. And the thing is we should not have to. What can't you get your head around that?
    ?? WTH????

As one of the longer serving modders of NS2, I agree 100% with your point and have been making it for many years.

I don't see how you got the idea I held a different point, as I was directly replying to dePARA :P
    ?? WTH????

As one of the longer serving modders of NS2, I agree 100% with your point and have been making it for many years.

I don't see how you got the idea I held a different point, as I was directly replying to dePARA :P

Whoops my bad, misread what you wrote. Its frustrating having to sit on here and complain about how poor the game is without mods when i just want to play and as long as comp mod and ns2+ are down so is the comp scene. Players shouldn't be having to deal with this but unfortunately we have to
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited March 2016
    PDT will learn plenty by reverse engineering their mods.

How many of you just lost your cool over this?
    I for one am eating popcorn and smirking my butt off.
    I don't think I can explain it, but if you know me and the similarities that I see in you just now....

Well It's pure gold, Just saying THANK YOU M&D, you're awesome!!!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members

I have and quite frankly they don't tell us anything. Basically all they've said is "they ignored me" and that's it. No clue on what the real issue is.
    dePARA wrote: »
    Btw. its interisting that i never heard person8880 (Author of shine) complaining or raging or that people made a drama that shine isnt part of vanilla.
    And im sure shine is more important to NS2 than NSL-mod for example cause its affects all servers.

No one said NSL mod needs to be in vanilla.

I have and quite frankly they don't tell us anything. Basically all they've said is "they ignored me" and that's it. No clue on what the real issue is.

Then you are a bit dense. I will have something that might help explain it better soon (tm)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @simba I prepared a visual aid that I believe describes the issue.
    9xnowx7qaeh3.png
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    tuxator wrote: »
    Thank's for the Bilebomb tip, I think I only ever saw that researched once or twice, seems underrated.
    Bilebomb is one of the strongest things in the game. It is often what ends games.

I wonder how things like this can be better communicated.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    As pointed out above, there are other games to play. No one's holding anyone hostage.

No you are missing the point entirely. Their goal is to make the playerbase STOP playing. That's their leverage, killing the game.

... wouldn't the fact that not having mods killing the game, mean that mods were integral to the experience?

I have a ball, we play catch just fine. Mendasp buys some baseball mitts. We can throw harder and catch better and we have more fun. I add spikes to my ball (because i'm insane). Mendasp says we can't play with his mitts until we do something about the spikes.

We don't like playing catch if we can't throw hard and catch good. And spikes hurt our small fleshy hands.

Maybe we should stop adding spikes to our balls... or help Mendasp weld some metal plates to his mitts.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I will admit your last post makes more sense the the previous stuff you said @xDragon .
    Regardless if I find it a improvement or not, its always good to keep info supplied so stuff is fixed in vanilla.
    I always try to keep both a foot in pub and a foot in competitive, and feel im one of the few who does so. So I recognise this split you are talking of.

As with the discord thing.. I just dont fully agree. Its a medium to chat yes, and I know if someone stops half convo its annoying but it happens. They also have lives.
    I had to wait on many a answer in the past before also. In such cases I also went to PM.. it just.. is.
    It can be good, it can be bad.. but PM still is a sort of viable alternative. But yes, I do see your point.

3 months is a long-ass time to answer questions and concerns it's nominally it's your job to address.