Defense mod

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
Hi,

So what's this all about?
This mod is about a team of marines responsible to hold and defend the main base against waves of alien.

How can I play it?
Since I am actually working on it and it is not fully ready to be placed all alone on a server you will have to wait the evening to play it.

I like the idea, can I help?
Yep, I am looking for more maps. The only requirements for now are:
* A single techpoint where the marines spawn
* RT for any alien spawn location

Thanks to
@Phoenix_Faded_Mod for the ns2_bunker map he is working on.

Mod id: 258572bf
Workshop mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=629502655&tscn=1456443680

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Very good mod! Had a awsome game yesterday!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This sounds a lot like the existing and mostly complete Last Stand mod, except with some RTS elements for marines.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    This sounds a lot like the existing and mostly complete Last Stand mod, except with some RTS elements for marines.

it's not trust me. it's very much more like xenoswarm
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    You can see it as a mod between xenoswarm and last stand as it takes ideas from both. On the other hand It also allows me to add special stuff I can't add on the faded mod and take a little break from it. We have medics, sentries, bot waves and bosses, experiences and an alien com on the way (ala zombie master).

I am also waiting for the "map entities events" to show up to add a real "castle" feeling with doors being destroyed one after the other, forcing marines to retreat until they reach to that last room.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2016
    Hi,

Here are some news:
    * Bad news:
    - I am still working on fixing redplug bugs (ent count goes to 1000+ for no reasons)

* Good news:
    - The ns2_bunker map is better and is going more and more
    - Better waves
    --> Pressure stuff: one alien killed one spawn (skulk), population increased for each round
    --> Waves: All but skulk aliens, up to 10 waves

- An Alien commander that can build stuff and now (almost) control his minions, but gorges still don't want to follow orders.

- Better AI (more aggressive, lerk flying (and not just walking around)
    - We have sentries with flashlights
    - Multiple base (IP and respawn stuff incomming)

- We have now doors :
    --> They can be destroyed
    --> Denie aliens to go throw by default (but not marines)
    --> Will be weldable
    --> Explode when killed !

Some screens from the map:
    u6q56rb9dq6a.jpg
    q5i8dpr9bdwx.png
    14b5u3931ict.png
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Class-based marines actually sounds like a fun thing to replace the commander with
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I actually have been thinking about this, it's a perfect base for a tower defense or a tower defense maul situation, themed mauls anyone :D? playing around with the editor quick mockup 47789323.png Something sort of like this creeps/waves spawn and get harder each time, all those X positions are spots where people can play, they place towers down (gorge or marines), the creeps have to pass through everyones tower defense systems to get to grey to attack the command station, each wave gets harder and harder and you can constantly upgrade your chambers/weapons depending on how much res/gold you have.

anyone interested?
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    I played the mod yesterday, It was very fun.
    However i feel a lack of objectives, aliens put a constant heavy pressure and basically has a marine you need to have buy and exo and then simply fire and fire without moving at all.

I think that a few additional doors on normal maps can make them more compatible to the mod.

the number of aliens bot spawning should be proportional to the number of marines.

I suggest that players should be able to buy arcs and sentries, however they cannot place all of them in a single room.
    So between each waves they have some times to place them on each lines. Then when each wave start they defend the advanced post and once the aliens get the advantage they need to retreat to the previous room.

The lack of ammo is also quickly problematic at the moment, if you go 10meters away from the armory you quickly run out of ammo.
    The reload time of shotgun, hmg should also be quicker.

Keep working on it, the mod has a good potential ;)
    The objective could be to kill Hive(s) and it would be a race against time if waves are automatics or a more regular game if I finish the alien commander stuff.

About the balance the alien numbers is now also scalling depending on the number of players (like damages), using 100% of them starting at 7 players.

Concerning sentries and arcs you can buy them respectively at the robotics or at the armory (last item with no description and an Axe icon, going to be changed). For the ammo thanks for the feedback I will increase the number of clips a marine is holding but the reload for the GL and SG have been already speeded up by 2.
    A lot more things have been fixed and balanced:
    -- Now marines lose only if all IP are down and marines dead
    -- Balancing: reducing Onos and lerk HP, rework waves quota
    -- Fixing a redplugs
    -- Fixing resource reward not working when killing skulks
    -- Fixing (80%) aliens spawning out of the map or on walls
    -- Bonewall worms easier to kill

Alien commander:

I got too much troubles to make it works with the "com" view, so instead we will play and invicible/invincible marine in the alien team that will spawn lifeforms "like a gorge" where you are aimings. You will have resources for each waves, max amount of aliens allowed for the current wave and for each type. In short you will be able to fully customize the aliens composing the waves, and where to create them (if far away from marines, of course).

Also, each lifeform will cost, so the alien com will have to choose between spawning 15 skulks or 1 onos for example. Balancing will be done later; thinking on if I enable waves to still behave "automatically" or if I let the alien com completly decide even if he wants not aliens on the map at all for a few mins and trap marines running away from the main.
    edited June 2016
    A bit of news:

We have a new map working especially for the mod and the mod has been updated to be more feeting a survival than a brainless butcher party.
    --> It is now more like Killing floors
    * No more respawn during the wave
    * Door that you can lock/unlock (not weldable yet)
    * Trader waves
    * Ammo/Medpack drop randomly on the map
    * Waves reworked to spawn a suite of squads
    * Balancing (more players alive -> more hp, more dmg, more squads)

New map: ns2_kf_farm (Thanks to @Phoenix_Faded_Mod for this great work)
    -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702674686

Also, now I am working on the waves balance (not that hp_scalar and dmg_scalar are scaled by the number of players too (up to *1.5 with 10 players)
    local function genSquad(minplayer_to_activate, skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, onos, bonewall);
    // min_alien_on_map: A quota per players. 2 means 2 aliens for each marines alive enable on the map (so with 10 players it means it will always have 20 aliens)
    // max_delay: The maximum delay in second to force the spawn of the next squad (in case no alien is killed, capped to a max of 40 aliens)
    defense_waves_config =
       {
          {
             hp_scalar = 0.2, dmg_scalar = 0.2,
             min_alien_on_map = 0, max_delay_between_squad = 35, squads = {
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 2, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0)
             }
          },
          {
             hp_scalar = 0.4, dmg_scalar = 0.4,
             min_alien_on_map = 1.5, max_delay_between_squad = 30, squads = {
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 1, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)
             }
          },
          {
             hp_scalar = 0.6, dmg_scalar = 0.6,
             min_alien_on_map = 2.2, max_delay_between_squad = 20, squads = {
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 2, 2, 1, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 2, 3, 0, 0, 0, 1),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 1, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)
             }
          },
          {
             hp_scalar = 0.8, dmg_scalar = 0.6,
             min_alien_on_map = 2.5, max_delay_between_squad = 18, squads = {
                genSquad({ 0}, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 1, 3, 2, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 6, 0, 2, 1, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 1),
                genSquad({ 0}, 2, 3, 0, 0, 1, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 0, 1, 3, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 3, 0, 0, 0, 2, 1),
                genSquad({ 0}, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0),
                genSquad({ 0}, 5, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0)
             }
             -- HIVE wave, offensive
          },
       }

It's a start, feel free to post any configuration that you think might be better :)
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    I jumped on the Defense train way too late! This mod is amazing! <3<3<3
    Thanks, btw here are a few stuff I have added to the mod in the meantime:

* Gorge tunnels !
    --> Gorges can drop them and alien can use them, be carefull
    * Growing environnement on the infestation
    --> Alien buildings (hydra, whip, spores) are randomly dropped on infestation, and start growing
    --> Gorges do construct hydra too
    --> Clogs tentacle are back

Alien bot AI improved
    --> No more stuck (at least rarely now)
    --> Bots do not blindly move below a jetpacker if they can't get it, they will kill someone else in the meantime
    --> skulks are now using "leap" do reach jetpackers
    --> Better target selection

Lots of balancing on weapons prices, damages and waves.
    Exos are back with the railgun doing an ARC AoE if the shot is charged enough

Resource system reworked to reward all the team for each kill (and a bonus for the killer)

Alien are playable, you can join the alien team and play as any of the lifeform left to spawn during the wave. (always wanted to drop 50 clogs/webs as a gorge ? it's now allowed)

Added map ns2_mvm_fray to the map cycle.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250117836&searchtext=ns2_mvm_fray
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    In my excitement over discovering this mod, I forgot to give real feedback. Whoops. So here are some things that confused a first time player:

I did not know you could press 'b' to change your loadout as a marine, and I never thought to try. (I ended up hitting it accidentally after a while.) Sometimes switching loadouts was immediate (the beginning of waves maybe?), and other times it wasn't. Also, sometimes I had both a rifle and a shotgun, and other times I only had one, and I'm not sure why.
    About the 'b' key: Got too much trouble with the menu staying on screen when I made it open by default (unlike the faded where it's open at round start once), so prevent losing more time on it I have decided to just let it on that key. Gonna recheck it once I got the time.

About the pistol/shotgun: You got it by default when the round 1 start (layout choosed with 'b' is reapplied, or default one), late joiner or respawn get the light layout (rifle / pistol / axe (OP axe)) but I changed it to shotgun to make it less punishing.

Also, the bonewall worm is now a lot easier to kill (you had to kill the last spawned bonewall in a single shot to take it down, now the new "head" get the HP/AP of the last head so even with a pistol you could get it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    About the 'b' key: Got too much trouble with the menu staying on screen when I made it open by default (unlike the faded where it's open at round start once), so prevent losing more time on it I have decided to just let it on that key. Gonna recheck it once I got the time.

About the pistol/shotgun: You got it by default when the round 1 start (layout choosed with 'b' is reapplied, or default one), late joiner or respawn get the light layout (rifle / pistol / axe (OP axe)) but I changed it to shotgun to make it less punishing.

Also, the bonewall worm is now a lot easier to kill (you had to kill the last spawned bonewall in a single shot to take it down, now the new "head" get the HP/AP of the last head so even with a pistol you could get it.

A bonewall worm? ...I need to check this out again
  • Imperial_GuardsmanImperial_Guardsman Connecticut Join Date: 2016-07-16 Member: 220313Members
    This mod is pretty dope +1 respect to the creator. :D
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited October 2016
    Looks great! Those spinning death clogs are INSANE btw