Mod Spotlight: Last Stand - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageMod Spotlight: Last Stand - Natural Selection 2

Last Stand is a fast-paced twitch-shooter mod for NS2. There is no commander. Only you, your skill and your friends.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Open for comments! :)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Massive SHOUTOUT to Samusdroid for his continued dedication and work on this mod. I'm sorry it took so long to really get out there and promoted but now you can all see how cool it is. THX SAMUS
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    "Too soon" is a phrase I'd use to describe the reception.

I hope it isn't a one and done gamemode because it can be fun despite some issues.

My criticisms below.
    Needs a map key.
    Aliens get lost easily.
    Players need to swap teams after rounds.
    Map changes too quickly.
    Dead marines get bored and leave.
    Everyone wants to have their last stand, but no one wants to fight against it.
    First few waves aren't fun for aliens.
    Not enough marine tech to go around.
    Static exosuits are a terrible idea.
    Dying a lot and having to re-select upgrades each time gets tedious.
    Welders shouldn't be free.

In garry's mod there is a very popular zombie survival mod which I think anyone actively working on this gamemode should look at.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Wait, how do you get lost on these tiny tiny maps. That in itself should be an achievement :trollface:

Apart from Rockdown, I guess. Which was designed for NS2 gameplay anyway. Now that one needs a map key :D
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think he means rockdown, I might be able to alter it over the weekend to play better (make it smaller etc)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Could always go with arrows all over the bloody place :tongue:
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2016
    super quick question, all that the "sv_ls_setup true" does is add maps to the mapcycle?

So basically all you really need to do as a server op is put the maps in the mapcycle or is there more to it?

EDIT: Nvm. Read the workshop page.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love it, great game-mode.

Marines:
    There should always be 1 jetpack spawn per marine
    There should always be a minimum of 3 sentries
    The Armoury heal cool-down should be removed entirely
    Catpacks should respawn each wave, not just as a huge cluster at the game start
    Weapon/Armour 1, 2 & 3 should unlock as the game progresses
    The Exo should be 'better' - It should always be the dual variant of whatever it spawns as and it should always have a prime position, Skulks should not be able to solo the Marines best hope of survival in 10 seconds flat

Aliens:
    Needs a better visual indicator of when you can evolve to a new lifeform/when new traits are available
    Need a map/indicators of where to go on larger maps
    Innate regen should be nerfed/removed
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    had a blast playing this since that mod-jam that originally made this public, good mod, hope to see more spotlights like this, maybe someone take over siege and make that playable again, the guy who had been hosting it cursed out everyone who befriended him and deleted his content today... so months of work there is gone and now unplayable to literally everyone, which was a shame since before he went off we had a really good balanced fun siege mode until he decided his version meant his way or no way at all.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Can't wait to see more mod spotlight ! A new mod every weekend when you have the player spike and with a rotation would be nice too (last stand, SWS, siege, classic, even Marine versus marine if the mod still works). Although the message at the launch of the game will need to be here only few days of the week so people actually read it and don't close it out of habit.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited March 2016
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited March 2016
    Foxy wrote: »
    Love it, great game-mode.

Marines:
    There should always be 1 jetpack spawn per marine
    There should always be a minimum of 3 sentries
    The Armoury heal cool-down should be removed entirely
    Catpacks should respawn each wave, not just as a huge cluster at the game start
    Weapon/Armour 1, 2 & 3 should unlock as the game progresses
    The Exo should be 'better' - It should always be the dual variant of whatever it spawns as and it should always have a prime position, Skulks should not be able to solo the Marines best hope of survival in 10 seconds flat

Aliens:
    Needs a better visual indicator of when you can evolve to a new lifeform/when new traits are available
    Need a map/indicators of where to go on larger maps
    Innate regen should be nerfed/removed
    This sums up my thoughts nicely. Going from one round with a JP for every marine to a round where none have spawned is disappointing and makes a marine loss much more likely. I actually like the randomness, but I would much prefer the minimum JP count to be higher. The same applies to sentries as well.

General feedback:

Players spawn within each other, which can cause them to get stuck. In the case of that one Starship Troopers map, it allows for easy GL griefing.
    Some players can randomly use xenocide very early, which can be game-breaking. I'm pretty sure this can happen not just on the first wave, but other early waves as well.
    Welding is painfully slow. I suggest bumping it up a bit.

Map-specific feedback:

Hangar: The most alien-sided map and the least fun imo. Gorges can safely bile from atop and from both sides. Skulks can leap-xeno from those rooms without warning. Going up there to deal with them gets you killed due to the lack of JPs and overextending. Marine start is simply too small and confined.

Pad: Quite alien-sided. Gorges can use the stairs directly in front of the exo in order to safely bile it to death. Aura gives gorges ample warning if any marine tries to go down there to kill them. Gorges can just place hydras on the lower level for protection and just spit overextending marines to death. Marines try not to go down to the lower level in the first place due to how easily aliens can kill them there. The other rooms see hardly any action since marines stay on the pad and hump the armory.

Hellevator: Quite alien-sided. This seems to be the best map for the exo since you can cover all three entrances as well as the two rear vents. Trying to cover everything at once can be exhausting, but very fun, especially with dual railgun. It's high risk, high reward for the exo since aliens can easily kill it during later waves or earlier with good skulks. An inexperienced player in the exo results in a big setback in an already hard-to-win map for marines. The hellevator itself is a death trap for marines since, even with multiple sentries, aliens can easily finish them off with xeno or onii. I assume the hellevator was intended to be a true last stand on wave 11, but I have yet to see any surprise wins from using it. I would at least put an armory at the top of the incline to make it more fun if marines decide to retreat up there.

Descent: Quite alien-sided. Gorges can safely bile the armory from silo and aliens can easily rush the exo from there. The exo is frustrating to play on this map. While it has a long LoS towards depot, there's just too much obstruction for it to cover his teammates anywhere else. Marine start is really confining and I would much rather the exo was moved to, say, the top of the platform next to the seats.

That-Starship-Troopers-Rainy-Map: The most marine-sided map. This is due to aliens spawning near marine start among sparse outcrops directly within marine LoS. All marines need are a few GLs to spawn camp them. A marine and I went like 27-0 just by doing this. Even with a more protected spawn, marines can easily snipe aliens from afar with LMGs since the map is huge and open like Frost. In the event that marines don't exploit this and aliens are close to finishing them off, JPers can run away and hide since it's such a huge map. I'm guessing the room underneath marine start was intended to be a hiding spot, but I saw marines in there during wave 11 and aliens couldn't seem to reach them.

Frost: Quite marine-sided. The open nature of this map allows for a JP-LMG to decimate anything from afar. I suggest putting a bend in the ice cavern just before the exit instead of allowing marine LoS all the way back to the teleport exit.

Although it's a bit rough around the edges, it's a very fun mod and I can't wait for more updates. The community needs this mod due to the deaths of Combat and, presumably, Siege. If only all three were available... :'(

Edit: Fun dual railgun game play on Hellevator. :)

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    as for the "STARSHIPTROOPERSMAP" I am glad you got the reference :D ! yeah the spawns in it are broken its intended that aliens should spawn practically anywhere around the map and the said marine base us under 360degree attack. I have wanted to turn this map basically in to 2 separate maps, one in a better hommage to starship troopers and another one with the crashed drop ship in hommage to pitch black. Its just trying to find someone to make proper rain for me so I dont have to keep overusing the rain prop from eclipse!. However I am going to play around this weekend to see if I can make some particle rain effects (that dont tank fps)

As for frost it was quickly thrown together so it could be played. Both of the afformention maps need total overhauls tomake them better since they were made 2014 :D

Again if people are playing the maps and there is a demand I will certainly make some more maps. I am sure others will follow suit!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I just noticed that this mod highlight thing now gets an ingame popup at the start of the game.

Please make absolutely sure that whatever mod you are promoting is reasonably balanced before you do this. I played two rounds of LS yesterday and it wasn't even remotely balanced - you don't want the average player to get that first impression.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I've been running it as a warm up mode on TTO servers and people are generally positive. It's a fun mod but it needs some tweaking. My opinions:
    • Marines should be moved to the ready room after round end, not just aliens. With the instant round start we just get the same teams round after round.
    • Time left needs to be visible to spectators. It's covered by the text showing who you are spectating. Showing the time left makes it more fun to spectate.
    • There should be a delay before the round starts (with alltalk on) so players can get a chance to join up, ask about the game mode or just chat a bit about the last round.
    • Aliens need more spawn points on some maps. My egg spawned on top of another egg several times.
    • Cat packs should spawn later during the round. No point in using them early on.
    • UWE server needs NS2+.
    • Armoury heals too slowly.
    • Some skulks get xeno right at the start. Should be an endgame ability only. It clears out mines too easily.
    edited March 2016
    Last Stand was always with the mindset that marines should have a slightly harder time to win the game. Making it feel like a true desperate last ditch effort to survive until the timer runs out. The game experience would come from the survival part, not actually the escape part. Escapes can of course still be possible, but should be a bit rarer compared to alien wins.

I can speak mostly for Hellevator, the map was purely designed to make it easier on marines early game and ramp up the imminent death towards the end game. With Oni bearing down on the marine team, while they try to make their escape. Kinda like how L4D does that with throwing in tanks at the last moment when you GET TO DA CHOPPA :D However, this would require mapspecific lifeform timers to tweak it perfectly. I did a lot of testing and planning on LoS on that map as well. Good to see good use of that EXO there, awesome stuff and exactly working as intended @Nominous. I do believe the EXO needs to always be a dual variant as well!

Due to lack of time and resources and actual options in the Spark Engine, the end cinematic idea was to be map specific. For instance a dropshop could come in and the marines have to board it in the Left4Dead style. For Hellevator I was hoping for the elevator to reset and be usable, so they could escape that way.

Those things are way beyond what was planned and what Spark is capable off right now. We did have some brainstorms about this for an easier to implement escape mechanism for the marines in style with the TSF. The beacon idea seems easy to implement and should suffice IMHO, just that tiny bit of extra polish.

- The traditional Beacon to teleport the marines out of there when the timer runs out.
    - A Phasegate behind a damaged door, which has to be reset (timer). After the timer runs out to around 10-20 seconds left, the door would open and the marines could use the PG to escape

Those are still on the wishlist mostly :D

Another silly brainstorm to ease the marine team death time, not even sure if this would be possible. Would require first person view models as well:

Giving the dead marine players options to play as
    - A "Super Babbler" or Drifter with unlimited lives, on the alien team
    - A MAC with unlimited lives on the marine team (maximum of 3 slots?)
    - Going full on Zombie Panic style, dead marines transfer to the alien team (server setting/nightmare mode)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    - A "Super Babbler" or Drifter with unlimited lives, on the alien team

The guys from the faded mod already figured out how to let players play as babblers, and afaik they're even planning an upgrade system for it. You might want to get in touch.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    edited March 2016
    You could have told us what is Last stand mod. Only thing that i was able to find.
    "Last Stand is a fast-paced twitch-shooter mod for NS2. There is no commander. Only you, your skill and your friends. Play as either Alien or Marine in a final showdown on over 10 maps."

So there is no commander, twicth shooter, aliens and marine, friends, skill.

I still have no clue... Very informative blog post. *facepalm*
    edited March 2016
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    You could have told us what is Last stand mod. Only thing that i was able to find.
    "Last Stand is a fast-paced twitch-shooter mod for NS2. There is no commander. Only you, your skill and your friends. Play as either Alien or Marine in a final showdown on over 10 maps."

So there is no commander, twicth shooter, aliens and marine, friends, skill.

I still have no clue... Very informative blog post. *facepalm*

He forgot to add "you shoot gun" and "you bite kneecaps" :D

I do miss the bit about it being a last ditch survival for marines though, final showdown, ah well seems legit!
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    ^maybe this is better.

Just change words... You can shoot. Bite kneecaps. Twitch aim.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The armory should go away and have a small health/ammo return at the end of each wave.
    Marines should have a limited time to buy their preferred stuff at the beginning of the game out of a small allotment of p.res. (Things like weapons, welders, mines, jetpacks, sentries, and additional ammo)
    The game should start with a 70% marine-30% alien player ratio and have fallen marines be switched over to the alien side.
    Aliens should use a loadout system to get them out of spawn quicker.
    Have weapons level progress with the game, start at level 0 and gain a level every 3 waves.
    Games should be longer.

I think it could be fun with these additions.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Had a blast playing this last night. In the context of normal NS2 continuing to dominate my play, I will enjoy Last Stand for what it is. Thank you to everyone who has made it possible, and to everyone who will give it the continued development its larger exposure necessitates.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I think it would also be nice to see more wave-based spawning, rather than just what feels like a constant flood.
    edited March 2016
    Yes, that would also add to the suspense.

- For Marines: Wave X/Y in Z amount of seconds
    - For Aliens: You are now joining Wave X spawn timer
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The latest changes were good. I died on ns2_ls_frost today for no reason as a marine. It says I suicided in the server log.
    Minor thing: I noticed that you can't see connecting players when LS is running.
    I will try and do some map tweaks this weekend.

@kouji_San its certainly possible to time a cinematic so a drop ship does fly in towards round end time atleast on storm !