Custom map playtest sessions

1141516171820»

Comments

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are these sessions still running? If so, could you play out the hera port and let me know what the gameplay is the like? Looking for feedback on the size, layout, tech point, res points, etc.

Cheers

Forum Post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140321/port-ns2-hera
    Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=608817889
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    We'll get it played on sunday for you, it would be good to get first hand impression if you were there.

Every Sunday at 8GMT - Always welcome! We also have mumble all our regulars join.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    troops wrote: »
    We'll get it played on sunday for you, it would be good to get first hand impression if you were there.

Every Sunday at 8GMT - Always welcome! We also have mumble all our regulars join.

Awesome, cheers. We managed to have a quick round last night on a public server, so i will try and incorporate their feedback into a new release by Sunday.

Is that 8am or 8pm GMT? I will try my best to join, but living in Sydney, Australia the times will always be difficult for me unfortunately.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Is that 8am or 8pm GMT?

It's 8pm. Joining our steam group will also get you a notification around the time things start.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SCC-P
    Is that 8am or 8pm GMT?

It's 8pm. Joining our steam group will also get you a notification around the time things start.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SCC-P

Terrific!

Cheers.
    Unfortunately I couldn't make the testing, but I wanted to find out how the play through of Hera went? Thoughts on layout, gameplay, balance, etc?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Unfortunately I couldn't make the testing, but I wanted to find out how the play through of Hera went? Thoughts on layout, gameplay, balance, etc?

I can tell you just by looking at it. Hera original design has plenty of big rooms. This was ok to play in NS1. It's not with NS2.

Example:
    Eclipse (putting aside my rant about 4 TPs) was kind of huge in NS1. The NS2 Eclipse author(s) had to break a lot of this big rooms leaving Maintenance and Computer Core more or less 'big'. But it's 'NS2 big' is not 'NS1 big'. I remember being able to leap 3 times in NS1/CompCore before getting to the ceiling. Bunny hop in this map was like gliding. There was space.

Veil... Cargo isn't a good hive in late game... 3 JPs in there, and you can kiss the Hive goodbye. In NS1 Cargo was something less instant/kill.

See ?

In NS2 you have to adapt the distances (LOS) for the many issues the game has.
    It would be perfect if we could just convert .BSP to NS2 format but it's not possible.

I get that big rooms and LOS are an issue, but it wasn't what I was looking for in this test. I wanted to find out how the current layout plays so I know what rooms need to be moved, changed, etc. Once we have a good layout, I will then move onto addressing room sizes, LOS, etc.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Well... i can give you that answer already. Every hive act as a cage once the marines are near. Except for data core which has an escape vent. But a vent shouldn't be a nominal route.

The aliens must win the fight in the middle of the map. Problem is they won't win the early game usually. So they end up boxed in hives.

It's one of the ns1 map that is clearly a "have to rebuild it" case. Not to mention that the layout was designed with a weldable door (near Reception) that change it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello SCC. I have a map I would like to put forward for testing on a coming Sunday.

It is named ns2_trinity.
    ModID# 2507A6C9
    3Apjj5N.png

This map is a quickly put together prototype of a layout I have been wanting to make for 2 years. @Calego was generous enough to put it together for me. At this point, the map is as much his as it is mine.

I decided it would be best to use stitch together other maps into a new one, as that allows much quicker development time. It also gives aliens and easier time as it is not a plain greybox. I hope that by using existing maps, people will learn the map quicker and be able to provide better feedback.

The map is 4 techpoint with 10 resource towers. My goal with this is to artificially extend the early game with the map, having more engagements and slower tech progression. Your initial reaction might be that every spawn is a close spawn, but this should not be a problem. The map looks small, but the time from tech point to techpoint is longer than other maps. The center techpoint will be really strong for whomever can hold it, but the goal it to make it really hard to hold for either team. Vents have been placed to lessen the impact of lane blocking.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nordic wrote: »
    Hello SCC. I have a map I would like to put forward for testing on a coming Sunday.

It is named ns2_trinity.
    ModID# 2507A6C9
    3Apjj5N.png

This map is a quickly put together prototype of a layout I have been wanting to make for 2 years. @Calego was generous enough to put it together for me. At this point, the map is as much his as it is mine.

I decided it would be best to use stitch together other maps into a new one, as that allows much quicker development time. It also gives aliens and easier time as it is not a plain greybox. I hope that by using existing maps, people will learn the map quicker and be able to provide better feedback.

The map is 4 techpoint with 10 resource towers. My goal with this is to artificially extend the early game with the map, having more engagements and slower tech progression. Your initial reaction might be that every spawn is a close spawn, but this should not be a problem. The map looks small, but the time from tech point to techpoint is longer than other maps. The center techpoint will be really strong for whomever can hold it, but the goal it to make it really hard to hold for either team. Vents have been placed to lessen the impact of lane blocking.

I'm going to be fixing the last major issues today so it should be quite playable come Sunday.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Nordic can we get a thread for the map itself on the forums for feedback so we don't potentially clutter this thread with it :)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members

It is named ns2_trinity.
    ModID# 2507A6C9
    3Apjj5N.png

I have stitched a few maps together namely forge and forgotten. To make them seem more as a whole instead of simply maps stitched together i redid all the lighting in each of those maps with a similar theme. Perhaps try redoing the lighting for the whole map with a universal colour combination to help blend it and change the look of it a little
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kasharic wrote: »
    @Nordic can we get a thread for the map itself on the forums for feedback so we don't potentially clutter this thread with it :)
    Calego or I will make a thread after the SCC playtest. I like the map in theory, but before going too much further I want to see some actual games on it. My reasoning here is I would rather few or no servers ran the map until we thought it was at least OK. People already do not like custom maps. They like them less if they do new things, and this one is a bit different. I would like to maximize the potential first impression if at all possible.

If you have initial feedback before testing, feel free to message me.
    I have stitched a few maps together namely forge and forgotten. To make them seem more as a whole instead of simply maps stitched together i redid all the lighting in each of those maps with a similar theme. Perhaps try redoing the lighting for the whole map with a universal colour combination to help blend it and change the look of it a little
    @Calego, are you up for that?

As of right now, this is mostly considered a fast prototype but if we decided to further improve this version that sounds like a really good idea.

It is named ns2_trinity.
    ModID# 2507A6C9
    3Apjj5N.png

Theres.So.Many.Lights.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @Nordic @Calego Always nice to see new maps! We will definitely get a few rounds on this during SCC testing on sunday.
    Just need to prod @Calego to make the final fixes.
    Just need to prod @Calego to make the final fixes.

Just found this one too...

Anyway, since you bring it up. I've made the last changes to things that make this playable. Vents are rudimentarily lit and occclusioned, and your in base harvestor won't die from being uncysted anymore!

As best as we can tell, this is ready.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just had a quick look at the map, and it looks playable and from what I can tell there are no show-stopping bugs.

I would advise re-lighting some of the exits that changed. People will expect to turn a certain direction in all these familiar rooms, and then the exit being on the other side is very confusing. If you make the area where the original exit was a little darker, and put a spot light on the new exit, that will help a lot.

In commander view there are a few spots around the map that could do with some Commander Invisible care. Very high walls, objects reaching up very high or ceiling things being visible. That upper floor area in Plaza covers a bit of the main route underneath it, for instance. And those vents above Oxygen could be in the CommanderInvisibleVents group so they don't get in the way.

Lastly, the console complained about the mineral_shotblock.material missing.

Looking forward to play it on sunday!
    edited March 2016
    I would advise re-lighting some of the exits that changed. People will expect to turn a certain direction in all these familiar rooms, and then the exit being on the other side is very confusing. If you make the area where the original exit was a little darker, and put a spot light on the new exit, that will help a lot.
    I'll see what I can do about this, I'm still extremely intimidated by lights in maps (doesn't help that the organization basically went down the drain when I copy and pasted things) but maybe I can make this better.

And those vents above Oxygen could be in the CommanderInvisibleVents group so they don't get in the way.
    You're a life saver man. I was so stumped about how putting some vents in CommanderInvisible made them leave the minimap...

Yeah, I'll dig around to see if I can't find where that is.

Many thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: so as not to derail this:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140870/ns2-trinity-prototype?new=1
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    I can't come tonight. I've been working on my watercooling loop, and now my video card produces black screens under load.
    I could play using my integrated processor graphics, but that wouldn't be any fun...

Edit by Vet, honestly: Flat is love, Flat is life.
    edited March 2016
    What, SCC without Vet? Man, this is gonna be weird.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Flaterectomy Well I can hang around on mumble if it makes you feel better.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Calego wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll dig around to see if I can't find where that is.

That material is part of the mineral mod, ns2/materials/mineral/mineral_shotblock.material

It is likely not visible at all.