Patch 287 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    start ns2, map ns2_tram, cheats 1, j2, spawn skulk, spawn gorge, spawn lerk, spawn fade, spawn onos, damage 100, marine, shoot lifeform, get achievements. Repeat for 90% of achievements.

Player retention increased by 10 minutes.

I remember when I first played ns2 about 2.5 years ago, that was the first thing I did.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    No achievements when cheats are enabled and would need to have a minimum player count on teams before achievements work...that is all that is needed unless that is difficult to do.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    I referenced the thread in my post to show you where thoughts and ideas came from. I then referenced the document which was worked on by Golden and discussed with many others of the top things to look at, so the document is really more reflective of things we are looking at working on. Right this moment, I cant tell you any of them as the team is evaluating the time and risk of them all before we meet on Monday to go over our plan. I would also like to say Calego that we have worked very hard over the last months to be more available to people, this may not always be in a public forum but we do make great efforts to check out the forums and discord rooms and contribute in the conversations. We are always available by PM or Email and welcome feedback and discussions.

I'll be honest I just really like seeing that Yellow background and text on posts.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You don't need a server with cheats, just a few rounds of pre-game should do the job..
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Yes server with cheats, pre-game mode, and not having a minimum player count on teams should be looked at regarding achievements.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Yes server with cheats, pre-game mode, and not having a minimum player count on teams should be looked at regarding achievements.
    To some extent I agree with this, but the objective is not to prevent people from exploiting the achievements if they want to... This is "the most moddable game ever" and achievements are given client-side. There's nothing we can actually do to prevent determined people from doing what they want.

What we can do is make it so it doesn't give you achievements in situations where you may feel cheated out of the experience... This is why you can't get achievements while in the tutorial, for example. A minimum player count could be good as well, or even just requiring you are on a dedicated server. Again all of this is not going to prevent someone from getting them if they want however they want, but it would help make the experience better for those that care to earn them legitimately.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    On which servers are the developers playing and at what time? Need the kill a Developer Achievement :smiley:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ChrisStark You can stalk @BeigeAlert .. he frequents Tactical Gamer and Tactical Freedom servers in NA during the evenings. ;)
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ChrisStark You can stalk @BeigeAlert .. he frequents Tactical Gamer and Tactical Freedom servers in NA during the evenings. ;)

As does @remi just sayin.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    As do I. And many people must have it now. Gosh, am I awful.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I was handing out that achievement on Ghoul's Box last night, along with Ghoul himself.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    God bless you flat!
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I really don't see what that achievement accomplishes. Make the "devs" play more to "hand it out"? Make people stalk them? What?

We aren't applying the same standard that we have for the other achievements here.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    The welder seems unnaturally powerful, as it seems its not only building thats instant, but also the damage thats instant from switching to the welder.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Oh my! The Achievement is supposed to be fun! And I asked for fun. I will not "stalk" any of the devs. I play on Ghouls Box regularly and I also played with Ghoul a few weeks ago. Don't be so serious about everything ^^
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I sometimes hear a swipe sound after disconnecting from a server. What's up with that?

I think I already heard that in b286.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    ^I think it's coming from "alive backgrounds"-menu which came some builds ago. Like hive droppings, cc deployment and other stuff.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Brilliant idea on 'Eat your Greens' - well done!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say if people want to cheat their achievements, let them. Those are obviously people who have completionist tendencies but derive no joy from doing it in-game, so they just want it over with. I see no reason to punish them.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I sometimes hear a swipe sound after disconnecting from a server. What's up with that?

I think I already heard that in b286.
    It's that one fade having trouble finishing off marines trying to get one last swipe in.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The swipe you hear is a bug associated with the new menu for rookies. Whenever an objective is met on the new main menu "guide," the swipe sound occurs. Just.. casually ignore it whenever it occurs, or flinch like I do.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Zavaro wrote: »
    The swipe you hear is a bug associated with the new menu for rookies. Whenever an objective is met on the new main menu "guide," the swipe sound occurs. Just.. casually ignore it whenever it occurs, or flinch like I do.

Will do, thanks.
    (The second one)
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Aeglos wrote: »
    I really don't see what that achievement accomplishes. Make the "devs" play more to "hand it out"? Make people stalk them? What?

We aren't applying the same standard that we have for the other achievements here.

Probably the same as others: to learn something about the game.
    devel wrote: »

Probably the same as others: to learn something about the game.

Learn what exactly?

Achievements can be just for fun, and that's fine. After all, that's what achievements originally were for.
    They just shouldn't promote useless playstyles.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016

They shouldn't be used to promote certain servers either.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    he frequents Tactical Gamer and Tactical Freedom servers in NA during the evenings. ;)
    I was handing out that achievement on Ghoul's Box last night, along with Ghoul himself.

Foxy wrote: »
    Just make sure the achievements don't teach bad behavior. Killing an onos with an axe would be a terrible idea for example. You should not try to axe an onos.

This. We discussed this briefly in PT, although it would be a hell of an achievement to do, there aren't any real circumstances where you'd do this as a legitimate tactic. If you go one vs one with an Onos, you'll probably lose/do nothing useful and all the med support in the world won't help you, if you take one on as a group or with a JP, you won't get close enough to use the Ax in the first place. The entire idea behind achievements is to get people to pursue objectives that help them to learn how to play and help their team to win.

Double standards much?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    They shouldn't be used to promote certain servers either.

It's just designed as a fun "event" between the devs and the community. Come hunt us, or ignore it. It's up to you.

If people have a hard time completing it we will expand it to include killing playtesters/maptesters. If people still can't complete it, we can expand it further to "kill anyone with this achievement". We do not intend to have an achievement that is impossible to get.

• IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Only neigh impossible - kill 15 harvesters in 1 match. I doubt ive ever played a match where i dropped so many harvesters. ^^
    Yup. I remember achievements in TF2 that did that...
    iGtnUEj.png
    Useless playstyles are fine solo, but in a team game, it can really harm the experience for others.