Are we at the North Pole?

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
Looking at the H2.0 website and I watched the background video at the top. I downloaded it and played it through. The sky looks like its rotating on an axis, that or the planet. So is this intentional, are the devs trying to tells us something?

Comments

• rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    you're confusing atmospheric bodies (clouds) with orbital bodies (stars and moons)
    given we have day/night cycles it's unlikely we're at the pole or we'd have either permanent light/grey/night (if axis of rotation is perpendicular to plane of orbit) or wildly differing day/night cycle times (if axis is tilted)
    given how even our day/night cycles are - the odds are that we're on the equator or thereabouts

I know the everdeep below/around us makes it easy to think we're a special spot on the planet, but I'd lay a bet we're not.....
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    The planet appears to have an axial tilt of 90 degrees. It rotates north to south in a clockwise direction.

An interesting place.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    bugzapper, how'd you make that deduction, and I presume an axis of rotation tangential to path of orbit, as opposed to radial?
    edited February 2016
    bugzapper, how'd you make that deduction, and I presume an axis of rotation tangential to path of orbit, as opposed to radial?

I sat down and worked it out. Judging by what I saw in the game, the planet's north pole appears to be rotated 90 degrees tangentially away from the sun.
    The planet's orbital plane apparently runs along its east-west axis. It's in my story.

Could be wrong. I'm no astrophysicist.

If (a suitably qualified) someone can accurately determine the planet's orbital dynamics and explain how that whopping great moon remains in a stable orbit, I'll gladly retcon the crap out of the relevant passage. :)
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    <--- science nerd

after talking with a few friends at JPL (and showing them the game and some of its images) I have come to a conclusion that:

(a) the 2 planets are tidally locked in such a way that we are halfway between the poles and the planet is rotating around its odd axis because of its opposing twin (we are on water planet and other is dessert planet) while sharing the same moon.

and

(b) that both planets are also rotating around a 2nd axis that allows the sun to move in a constant north/south direction

imagine a flashlight shining on a tooth pick with 2 grapes on it (grapes are the planets)
    now take the tooth pick at the center and make it roll on a table (shows the sun moving around the planets like it does in game) at the same time also make the tooth pick spin from a string that is attached to the flashlight

(or in terms of an airplane roll and yaw at the same time)
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    Question... it appears that the Desert planet is rotating at a far faster speed than ours (unless it's rotating in the oppositite direction) and orbiting our planet far faster than our own (again unless it's orbiting opposite). Yet the Moon does not change position and seems to dissapear...

very weird...
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    paradine wrote: »
    <--- science nerd

after talking with a few friends at JPL (and showing them the game and some of its images) I have come to a conclusion that:

(a) the 2 planets are tidally locked in such a way that we are halfway between the poles and the planet is rotating around its odd axis because of its opposing twin (we are on water planet and other is dessert planet) while sharing the same moon.

and

(b) that both planets are also rotating around a 2nd axis that allows the sun to move in a constant north/south direction

imagine a flashlight shining on a tooth pick with 2 grapes on it (grapes are the planets)
    now take the tooth pick at the center and make it roll on a table (shows the sun moving around the planets like it does in game) at the same time also make the tooth pick spin from a string that is attached to the flashlight

(or in terms of an airplane roll and yaw at the same time)

this right here folks ;)
    In other words; it's essentially the same orbital model as described in 'Aurora Falls'.

Haven't taken such factors as the effects of axial tilt or orbital precession ('wobble') into account or nailed down the exact location of the initial spawn point, although it's a fairly safe bet that the game begins somewhere on the planet's equator. Not having a wrap-around world (and a fairly small one, at that) and no accurate navigational plotting system plays merry hell with this sort of 'guesstimation.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    Another way to describe our orbit is to take a tank that is turning a 360 without going forward or backward (like a top). The twin planets are the tracks on the sides of the tank and the moon is the end of the barrel on the turret (further out from the center of our combined orbit).
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Someone needs to make an orrery of this.