Drooping Stingers do WAY too much damage.

Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
Okay I briefly touched one of them and it insta-killed me. I moved away immediately after touching. Steady damage over four seconds brought me all the way to zero health from full.

Seriously. A random plant on the wall of a cave should not be more dangerous than a Reaper Leviathan. It's just silly.

Their data entry even says they don't use poison, it says they use electricity.

" Zero photosynthetic cells detected. Implies carnivorous adaptation to low-light environments.
Follicles along the tentacles capable of detecting contact with foreign bodies, triggering an electromagnetic charge in the 600 watt range. Prey is likely paralyzed and consumed over many weeks. "

Comments

• deseizdeseiz belgium Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212437Members
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    edited February 2016
    Pull out your knife and you can kill them in two mouse clicks.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Propulsion cannon can grab them and toss them aside too.
  • Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
    ElCabong wrote: »
    Pull out your knife and you can kill them in two mouse clicks.

I was not aware they could be killed. This is news to me, thank you.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I disagree , I was very much expecting them to hurt a lot when I tried touching them , but they only dealt 90 damage (I think ?) so that's not strictly lethal. I started carrying medpacks after that , so should you ! In the event that you touch several at once , death sounds perfectly justified.

I find the lethal stingers added nicely to my subnautica experience.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I believe they'll also destroy the seamoth in pretty short order.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Seamoth damage system is too odd for my taste, they feel like oversights or bugs right now :D

Seriously... Damage from

- Bumping sligtly into a sandbank
    - Hitting a tiny fish does more damage than being attacked by a toothy monster
    - These hanging things kill it rather fast, what the stingers go through bloody titanium also

Seamoth is made of clay is more likely :tongue:
  • Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
    edited February 2016
    They don't die with the knife. Just tried it. Experimental build. For those who are wondering.

And I still maintain it's nonsense for them to do a damage-over-time poison when their data entry says they do electrical shock. A little consistency would be nice.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    deseiz wrote: »

Yeah, well most people don't eat Drooping Stingers.
    And I still maintain it's nonsense for them to do a damage-over-time poison when their data entry says they do electrical shock. A little consistency would be nice.

Agreed. Electrical damage is rather quick. If they're going to kill you, they should do 100 hp of damage on contact. Even if they don't nerf them, I agree.
    A little consistency would be nice.

600 volts of electricity, which is the amount stated in the PDA, isn't really as dangerous as to kill you outright, even in water. It would hurt like hell, and probably do the paralysis effect that @Mrappbrain mentioned (love the idea there by the way), but it probably wouldn't kill you outright unless you have the fortitude of a three-month-old Chihuahua puppy (which, if you do, explain taking only 30 damage from a Stalker).
    They don't die with the knife. Just tried it. Experimental build. For those who are wondering.

You can definitely grab them with the propulsion cannon and toss them aside... or at least I could a couple weeks ago and I play in the stable build.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Yeah and those exploding fish also, they hurt you but can 1 shot the seamoth. Seems the seamoth takes more damage than you...you must be made of Diamond lol
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Jacara wrote: »
    Yeah and those exploding fish also, they hurt you but can 1 shot the seamoth. Seems the seamoth takes more damage than you...you must be made of Diamond lol

Yeah. I've seen the Moth go from 100% to 0% with a single Crash, whereas I just lost like 45% of my HP at the same proximity. I'd say buff the SeaMoth's health, but leave the damage for Crashes how it is. I mean, it's an explosion we're talking about. Explosions tend to hurt.