Computer building advice.

CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
Ok this thread is similar but different from the one already here and I didn't want to steal someones thread to pose my own question, nor do I know the exact place to post this so off topic seemed reasonable. Ok I am helping my sister purchase a laptop on a budget of $850(can't build one) and was wondering where my best bang for the buck would be. Also need some money left for windows programs like word, powerpoint, and xcel. Thanks in advance for the help and again sorry if I made another irritating post.

Comments

• G0mezG0mez Join Date: 2009-06-27 Member: 67953Members
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    How do you build a laptop?
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    What I mean is what kind of laptop, like toshiba, Acer etc. would be the best value. Does not have to be super good at gaming or anything, and like it would be at that price range, but something with a decent amount of dedicated video ram and hopefully either a higher grade i3 processor or lower i5. Just wondering for any ideas on it for a prebuilt computer what would be best.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/gaming-laptops-under-800/

Since you need cash left over for software (Office 2013 is $140), you're looking for any laptops that are $710 or less.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Or use google docs or open office, both of which are perfectly good, free, replacements for office unless you use all of excel's bells and whistles.

--Scythe--
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    would buy a lenovo thinkpad of the X series.
    get one with a good CPU and bad hd and low ram and buy this yourself.
    you can get those in perfect condition used and with up to four years of warranty.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    I can second the build quality of Lenovo. You will pay a bit more for it, but its well worth it.

I also have an Alienware M18x which I have had to have fixed on more than 5 occasions
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scythe wrote: »
    Or use google docs or open office, both of which are perfectly good, free, replacements for office unless you use all of excel's bells and whistles.

--Scythe--
    Yeah, if you go down this route, then you could spring for one of the Lenovo IdeaPads (Y400/480/500). Those provide the best bang for your buck with gaming performance imo.
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    Thanks for the recommendations! Really helped me find some good computers!
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    What will the computer be used for?
    Even the most basic of computers can run Office, so that's not the problem.

Does she need a laptop to carry around? Something that will stay at home? Will she play power-hungry games? Or play the occasional DVD ?

See, if you don't need power but need to survive a whole day on campus, you'd want something light and with good battery life.
    If you don't need to move it around often, you'd take something a bit larger and quite cheaper.

If you don't really need Excel, there are alternatives (LibreOffice for example).
    Also, check if the university has an DreamSpark/MSDNAA program.
  • sunilsunil Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212275Members
    edited January 2016
    Users can also review other Laptops with good brands and best deals at laptopsamurai.org
  • margenmargen pakistan Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189100Members
    edited February 2016
    VittuLima wrote: »
    How do you build a laptop?

Indeed, building your own laptop is chock-full of challenges. Parts are harder to find, choices are fewer, and you need a steady hand to deal with small screws and the tight confines of a portable case. What's more, there's not nearly as much information available in books and on the Web about assembling portable systems from the case up.
  • nightlightsnightlights Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228095Members
    Toshiba is pretty good.
  • glenn0510glenn0510 San Jose Join Date: 2017-09-25 Member: 233229Members
    But for 2017, what would be the best option?
  • sageoasageoa Join Date: 2017-11-17 Member: 234009Members
    Feels good ..Informative
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    I've been pretty happy the last couple years gaming on my ASUS N56JR. That cost me around $800-900 in $US I think. But if she's just after an office computer you could easy pay just half that for something nice enough, even through the big retail stores. You can then get a trimmed down version of MS Office for less than USD $50 (my Home & Student Office came without only Powerpoint and Access, I think). Anyway I'd recommend looking at some ASUS laptops when you're browsing the store - based on their combination of a) parts availability, b) user-friendly set up, and c) professional looking machines.