treat as single planar face help

ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hi guys, i've never really asked about this before as i've never really needed to use it that much, but how do i use the treat as single face in the paint tool?

0ldtvakp.tfh.png

no matter what i do it looks gigantic, it won't come out looking any good ;(

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    Yea I've contemplated removing that tool... it's not super-useful, and the name is a bit misleading. It only works properly if the faces are already planar.

Here's an illustration where all I've done is applied a material and used the "fit" command with the "single planar" option off, then on.
    bOR3cqi.png

If your faces aren't planar (even only slightly), the results are meaningless.

I've contemplated changing the behavior of the alt+Lclick in the texture tool slightly so that if there is a common-edge between the selected face and the one clicked, it will use that to try to preserve texture continuity. Just haven't had the time yet. :)
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd prefer to leave the tool there, maybe just make improvements to it instead? i do find it usefull for texturing though :D when it needs to be used, saves time.

Yeah see that's where i was hoping it would have worked here, wasn't though ;( ahh bummer.

What about relevancy range circles? isn't that for how far into the distance the game draws/loads certain things? how does that work? so say for instance i have an open window looking out into the map, how do i get it to not draw parts of the map behind the window? (other rooms etc that are far into the distance)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    I'd prefer to leave the tool there, maybe just make improvements to it instead? i do find it usefull for texturing though :D when it needs to be used, saves time.

Yeah see that's where i was hoping it would have worked here, wasn't though ;( ahh bummer.

What about relevancy range circles? isn't that for how far into the distance the game draws/loads certain things? how does that work? so say for instance i have an open window looking out into the map, how do i get it to not draw parts of the map behind the window? (other rooms etc that are far into the distance)

When you're playing ns2, the server only sends you updates for entities that are within the relevancy range. Any entities outside the relevancy range are not draw. Static props and map geometry are always drawn. It sounds like what you're after is Occlusion Geometry, which is what determines whether or not static props, geometry, and relevant entities are drawn.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    Ahh yeah that's exactly what i meant, mixed them up sorry yeah...

Here's part of the map where it's showing ready-room and another tech location/res node, would there be anyway to make it not show that?

ahh i mean if i have a window in one room and it shows me another techpoint/room through the window (or the readyroom) is there anyway to still have the window but not show the readyroom/techpoint or map geometry?

edit:okay thanks for the help beige, mapping isn't my forte ;D he linked me here "http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135091/spark-editor-tutorial-occlusion-geometry#latest"
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    Ahh yeah that's exactly what i meant, mixed them up sorry yeah...

Here's part of the map where it's showing ready-room and another tech location/res node, would there be anyway to make it not show that?

ahh i mean if i have a window in one room and it shows me another techpoint/room through the window (or the readyroom) is there anyway to still have the window but not show the readyroom/techpoint or map geometry?

edit:okay thanks for the help beige, mapping isn't my forte ;D he linked me here "http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135091/spark-editor-tutorial-occlusion-geometry#latest"

its all a learning process, at first things like occlusion geometry seem daunting but they become rather simple to understand once you have experimented with it a bit.